PDA

View Full Version : Live oak

Smoke5280
01-12-2021, 04:54 PM
I picked up a load of live oak yesterday. After I got it about 2/3’s loaded the guy I bought it from said it’s a bugger to get lit but loves it other than that. Anyone cook with this stuff? Thought I’d try something different than the hickory I normally use. Wanted to try something a little more mild.

Lahawk1
01-12-2021, 05:00 PM
I have never cooked with it myself, but I have eaten some beef ribs and brisket someone else smoked with it and it was really good. He was using it in an offset smoker.

Whodat985
01-12-2021, 05:52 PM
There’s a smokehouse down here that uses it to smoke jerky an sausage. The jerky is ver popular 100’s of celebrity an even past president have ordered jerky there. I have some drying out to use but haven’t yet. A lot of people down here use it.

legendaryhog
01-12-2021, 06:11 PM
Personally, I'd age it. Too much sugar.

pjtexas1
01-12-2021, 06:43 PM
I don't remember having any issues lighting it. Maybe it's not seasoned enough.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Smoke5280
01-12-2021, 07:01 PM
I don't remember having any issues lighting it. Maybe it's not seasoned enough.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think it’s pretty well seasoned and I think he was just talking about live oak in general not just that batch. Looking forward to trying it....might have to buy some ribs this weekend :biggrin1:

Cueford T. Justice
01-12-2021, 07:52 PM
We lost a live oak at our place. I’ve used some for the fire pit and it smells great. I’m doing a long season now to try for the smoker. It is just about the most dense wood you will ever handle. Was prized for ship building.

okiej
01-12-2021, 09:45 PM
A mix of Oak and Hickory is my favorite. I just bought a face cord of Oak, I have more trouble getting hickory, but I do get it here and there. So I will be using mostly Oak with some added Hickory for a while. What I get is usually pretty green and I have to season it. Oak is fine.

StevieR
01-13-2021, 03:42 AM
It's in the red oak family and is fine to cook with.

TC Smoke & Que
01-13-2021, 05:14 AM
Down here in Florida we use a lot of it and it really has a Hickory like aroma and taste, but not as strong. Very dense and takes longer to dry and season than most other woods.
You will enjoy the flavor when you use it for smoking.

bschoen
01-13-2021, 07:17 AM
If it "is a bugger to get lit" it isn't yet cured. Trying to ignite green oak, any variety, may as well try burning a rock. I spent 12 years living in a live oak (quercus agrifolia) forest, it is what I heated my house with and I have burned god knows how many cords.

Split and stack it in a place with good air flow and wait a year. Then to burn full splits you need a coal bed.

Callahan-que
01-13-2021, 02:40 PM
I get 'em lit using a propane torch. Then I preheat the splits on top of the fire box so when I add them they ignite right away.

Smoke5280
01-13-2021, 02:43 PM
Well, I just tried splitting some with a kindling cracker and good lord baby Jesus that stuff is dense! Full disclosure I’m no lumberjack but dang....saw on another thread here posted recently about his green wood delivery and moisture meter comments. Well now I have one of those coming. I was told it was well seasoned so we shall find out. Again, I haven’t tried to light any yet.

orangeblood
01-14-2021, 08:52 AM
If its seasoned it lights easily.

Live oak (Quercus Virginiana) is used by stick burners everywhere in Texas save for parts of south Texas where it isn't as prevalent. Not saying it is used exclusively or is everybody's first choice but I don't know anyone that would walk away from a nice pile of live oak sticks.

Live oak / pecan mix is my favorite.

bschoen
01-14-2021, 09:21 AM
Oak (quercus) is not as hard as many of you think. Only about a 1/4 as hard as the hardest wood out there, lignum vitae.

https://www.bellforestproducts.com/info/janka-hardness/

Interesting that white oak varieties are a bit harder then the reds.

Swine Spectator
01-14-2021, 10:24 AM
I cooked almost exclusively with Live Oak when I lived in Louisiana. It's great.

Smoke5280
01-16-2021, 09:14 PM
Well first cook with the live oak today, I cooked a couple of racks of baby backs. It may be my new go to wood. Can’t wait to cook a brisket with it. Smoke on.