PDA

View Full Version : Need help: spares and drum ...

biffleg
07-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Need some help Brethren:

Cooking 3 racks of spareribs Wednesday for lunch. Because of space - I'm going to have to do these in the drum. Because of the quicker cooking times ... what am I looking at for cooking times? I doubt its going to be 3-2-1.

Whatcha think?

Thanks.

Norcoredneck
07-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Have done 2-2.5/1/.5 on mine. Whole rack not trimmed. Mista is a drum god. Hopefully he'll chime in.

keale
07-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Bif, doing couple of racks right now, stayed with 3 hours, and foiling now for 2 hours...you know for the most part I haven't had that "Microwave" effect with the drum, I've been keeping temps low though 230... maybe my drum is stuck on Hawaiian time, like its owner! SLOW MO!

Bill-Chicago
07-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Get a kettle.

3 racks is perfect in there.

2.5 hours and your done

MostLarge
07-03-2007, 09:06 AM
I do not get a microwave effect either. I use a weber lid on mine and maybe that helps with that. Who knows?
I generally cook bone down and don't flip.
I don't open the lid for at least 3 hrs. Keeping consistent drum temps requires minimal opening.
I like Bark, so I don't foil unless it gets to barky. Is that a word?
Are you going to use a rib rack?
You might need an extra hour before you foil but 3-2-1 isn't a bad guideline.

3 racks of spares on a kettle, done in 2.5 hrs, now that's a microwave!
Low and slow is the only way to go.
Let us know how it went.

Bigmista
07-03-2007, 09:11 AM
I usually go 3/.75/.5 but the 3 might be too much sometimes. Test them by grabbing by the end with tongs. If you get close to a 90 degree bend, it's time to foil.

ModelMaker
07-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Microwave effect here. I find that 1.5-.75-.5 works really well. I have only foiled the last couple of racks, mostly because they were so perfectly meaty loin BB's. On spares I would pry just leave open till the 90* bend rule. It is a almost fool proof method for doneness (plus meat pulling back 1/2" to 3/4" from end of bones).
Happy Independence day!
ModelMaker

biffleg
07-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for all of the responses. Long story short - it will only end up being 2 racks so I'll probably just lay them flat.

From what I've gathered - looks like I'll start checking for the 90* bend at about 2 hours - once I get the bend and 1/2" to 3/4" pull back - put them in the foil for .75 - 1. Then remove from foil for 1/2 hour. Do you mop them during the last 1/2 hour?

Thanks again for the help.

ModelMaker
07-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Don't get too hung up on times. Use them as guide lines, let the meat tell you when it is done.
Got two racks? Foil one, leave the other. Only way to know how you like em best.
Mop last 1/2 hr? I rarely sauce my ribs. Love the taste as is.
Got two racks? Mop one..... you know the rest.
It's all about experimenting until you find whats best for you.
ModelMaker

biffleg
07-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Not trying to be stupid ... but haven't cooked that many ribs yet. So if you're not mopping the last 1/2 hour - what does taking them back out of the foil do? Just firm the bark back up, etc.?

One more question ... do you usually apply the rub to your ribs the night before like you would a butt ... or minutes before they hit the smoker?

Smokin Gator
07-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Yep on the firm the bark up...

I apply the rub just before they hit the smoker.

On the times... I go about 3-2-1 when I do them in a rack. The one time I did them flat recently 3 was too long and so was the total time. I think more like 2.5-1.5-1 would have been better.

The best way as others have said is to let the meat tell you... I watched a master this last weekend!!!

Best of luck bro...