PDA

View Full Version : Christmas/New Years cooks

robertm
12-22-2020, 12:27 PM
What's everybody doing for the holidays?

I non-stop cooked over Thanksgiving holiday with big thanksgiving meal then a 12 hr bbq on Saturday. Wife told me I wasn't allowed to spend the holidays with my smoker this time.

I'm planning to do a big prime rib for new years eve and a few smaller things over the break. Feels a little weird not having a big cook planned.

Maybe I need to do a brisket..

Whumpa
12-22-2020, 12:46 PM
I’m doing a big beef tenderloin, a stuffed meatloaf, and some fresh Dungeoness crab. Also twice baked potatoes. I will be busy!

halfcocked
12-22-2020, 01:00 PM
For the first time in some 40 years, I won't be doing the whole pig roast. The party will be just family (7) so I got a whole 10# picnic that I will spin on the roti. Intend to score the skin (I saw that done on a Utube London street market post) to get crispy skin that you pull off in diamond shaped pieces before serving the meat. Keeping my fingers crossed. This will be a first.

blackdogbbq21
12-22-2020, 01:33 PM
Doing a prime rib for xmas dinner. New years is undecided but will certainly be cooking something that night.

Smoking Piney
12-22-2020, 05:28 PM
I was planning on a rib roast for Christmas, but I got talked into cooking a brisket.

The rib roast will wait until New Years Eve. :-D

Aggie12
12-22-2020, 06:06 PM
Planning on doing Beef Oscar for Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day is a chuck roast that will be shredded up and either going to do Tacos or Nachos. Very not traditional, but we were trying to keep it easy so we could enjoy the day.

...I was told no smoking as well, but somehow I’m getting away with it anyways. Although the chuck roast will be going in the kettle and will be very hands off. Definitely got vetoed when I suggested Brisket. :(

jzadski
12-22-2020, 06:26 PM
I have been cooking my butt off and everyone has been happy. For the holiday it looks like oven inside as we will not be home. Christmas eve Mother in law's for prime rib, Christmas, Moms (Sicilian) Lasagna and Sicillian Chicken +++ :-D . New years eve back at MIL for another Christmas with wife's sisters family too. Have a couple of prime ribs in the deep freeze for a later smoke or two :-D

thirdeye
12-22-2020, 06:40 PM
I have 5 cured loins and a Coppa roast (aka money muscle end roast) that I'll be cold smoking Wednesday and Thursday. The loin hams are Christmas gifts, and the Coppa ham is for us. We're doing a sous vide tri-tip for either Christmas eve, or Christmas day, along with some sea scallops. Haven't nailed down the sides yet....

bowhnter
12-22-2020, 07:19 PM
We do apps for Christmas Eve. Will make some burnt ends and smoked turkey cranberry salad.
Possibly a prime rib roast for NYEve.

JJJBBQ
12-22-2020, 07:22 PM
Going to debone a turkey for a roulade. Also, have ham on the menu.

SMOKE FREAK
12-22-2020, 07:30 PM
I'm just smoking a ham for Christmas. No big deal. Sides will cook inside.

Saturday and Sunday will be spent smoking goose jerky...Farkin eh...

okiej
12-22-2020, 08:26 PM
I am doing Rack of Lamb for Christmas. Not sure about new years. When I was at Costco I also bought a leg of lamb, beef plate short ribs and a prime brisket. So I have decisions to make. Depends on where I end up I suppose

Hoss
12-22-2020, 08:37 PM
Appetizers early Christmas Eve.Nuclear family only.Start around 3,get em gone by 5:30 hopefully.Nothing but relaxation Christmas Day.We are in the middle of moving into a new home and I am ready for a break.

jermoQ
12-22-2020, 08:42 PM
Not tons of cooking. Tomorrow evening smoking a pork tenderloin. Thursday is our Christmas because my love has to pull a 12 hr shift at the hospital on Friday. I am trying sourdough cinnamin rolls with cream cheese frosting for breakfast,. I will smoke a ham for dinner and that is all. Saturday going to inlaws for dinner. Bro in law is using his new roti, for his green egg, to do a prime rib.

tom b
12-22-2020, 10:23 PM
I'm fixin to smoke a chuck, pan and foil it with some taters, carrots and onion and call it smoked pot roast :clap2:

tom b
12-22-2020, 10:24 PM
and ribs for the 1st

NoOne
12-22-2020, 11:26 PM
We are doing Paella as long as the weather and wind hold out. Just got done seasoning the 20” pan that has been sitting in the closet for 2 years...

The center is like glass, but it was hard to get the outer edges.

https://i.imgur.com/ysfW9RC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uZBPYn3.jpg

It will be a good Christmas Eve.

ModelMaker
12-23-2020, 08:09 AM
Couple Ribeyes, twice baked taters, corn put up from the farm this summer, Lava cake.
Merry Christmas to you all.
Ed

chingador
12-23-2020, 09:33 AM
Christmas day is a little different this year. Instead of the usual prime rib, changing things up.

1. Wagyu Picanha reverse seared with chimichurri
2. Fried jumbo shrimp
3. pan of tex mex cheese enchiladas
4. Fettucine alfredo
5. caeser salad

cdhbrad
12-23-2020, 09:42 AM
Red Wine Braised Short Ribs, Cheese Grits, Collard Greens, and Brussel Sprouts (for those who don't like Collards) on Christmas Eve. Glad I didn't plan anything on the smoker as we are supposed to have Rain/Thunderstorms with a cold front passing by tomorrow PM.

A Baked French Toast and Breakfast Sausage for Christmas Day Brunch.

Merry Christmas everyone.

JeffinNE
12-23-2020, 09:52 AM
18 pound prime rib on the new Shirley 24 x 36 along with some smoked mac n cheese. Since firing up the Shirley also throwing on some wings for my boys (and me) and a fatty for the next morning for breakfast sandwiches.

Merry Christmas to the brethren! So glad I found this site!