PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input..Trading Yoder for Traeger Timberline

electron_si
12-22-2020, 09:53 AM
I know it sounds crazy but stay with me. I’m currently on day 10 of quarantine which has given me way too much time for searching the web and watching YouTube.

I have a Yoder YS640 with almost all the accessories. I bought it used from a buddy who kept it pristine. It’s been a great smoker and I’ve never had an issue but I find myself making excuses not to fire it up this winter. I had a Traeger previously that I used at least 3 times a week. It was so easy and clean up was simple. The Yoder takes a lot more work, not complaining but it does affect how much I use it.

I do use the grill grates pretty often but I bought the cast iron plate and have used it maybe twice in the last year. The over the fire pot cooking option is great but it also makes a grease mess in the bottom of the smoker. I now find myself using my Weber gasser much more often when searing.

What are your thoughts. I could probably sell the Yoder and come close to breaking even with the Timberline 1300. My Ys640 is a 2014 so it does not have ACS. I’d be gaining wifi and easier clean up but losing the solid steel build quality.

Seeking input from anyone who has used either.

Edit: My wife will not even hear about having both so that’s not an option. I have looked at picking up a PBC though and she seemed fine with it in addition to the Yoder. She would use my Traeger pretty often but won’t use the Yoder at all.

ttkt57
12-22-2020, 10:11 AM
If you go from a Yoder to a Timberline you'll go from a big burn basket with a slow fan to a small burn pot with a fast fan. You might not like the change in smoke profile. Also, under all those extra features, the Timberline is made of thin gauge steel and can't possibly last as long as a well cared for Yoder.

Have you considered an Outlaw? It has a Yoder/Louisiana style burn system (engineered a bit better IMO), much heavier steel than the imports, and (drum roll) an ash clean out door.

I've been cooking in the backyard since the early 70s and have just retired. My new Outlaw may turn out to be my all-time favorite.

AClarke44
12-22-2020, 10:12 AM
For the price you are looking to spend I’d look into the recteq RT-700. I did a lot of research before buying mine. I was able to touch the Treager grills but couldn’t recteq because you have to order the grill (unless you live close to their store in GA) but everything I read or saw video of said the recteq was a better quality cooker when comparing price points. My opinion is obviously biased as I now own a recteq but I can now say myself that my research paid off and I can see the difference. Anyway, check them out if you are interested, see where your research takes you. Either way, whatever you decide I’m sure it’ll be the best choice for you and your family!

rwalters
12-22-2020, 10:15 AM
Sounds like you have answered your own question(s) to me. That being said, you are aware that grease management on the Timberline is different than what you had before. Not sure if it’s more difficult, but if ease of cleanup is one of your biggest priorities in a cooker, I’d definitely ask Timberline owners, especially those that have owned non-Timberline Traeger models how cleanup compares to the more traditional setup.

What keeps you from considering a MAK 1 Star? No pressure whatsoever. Just curious.

ssv3
12-22-2020, 10:18 AM
Tony,

I also bought my 2016 YS640 used and it also fully loaded with near most accessories. It wasn't even two years old when I picked it up in 2018. I did the ACS upgrade which was $550 including the redesigned burner plate and the ceramic igniter. It's a huge improvement with lightning fast and clean ignition plus wifi. If it makes sense for you maybe you want to do that. Combined I've spent $2200 and I'm still below the price of new one or a timberline. I remember timberlines having issues also and don't know if it was resolved.

As far as the Yoder, I lay down a piece of foil on the plate below the grates and I just toss it away after a cook. Just a quick shop vac and I'm good to go again. For direct grilling, I tend to grill leaner cuts over the fire pot to avoid heavy grease drips. Like a trip or flat iron steaks for example.

Hope it helps brother and ask away.

electron_si
12-22-2020, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the responses so far. I’ve looked at MAK and RECTEC already and don’t like the design of either. The Traeger is double insulated and includes quite a bit of stainless which appeals to me. I also like the new app design as well. I have cooked on a RECTEC and do like them just not a fan of the overall design/style.

The Yoder has been great and I don’t really have complaints I guess maybe I just have the itch for something different. Maybe picking up a PBC is the answer.

Sako- I’ve purchased the ceramic igniter and upgraded burn grate and have been impressed with the upgrade. My ash production has significantly gone down with the higher flow burn pot. I bought mine for $1800 and I’ve probably got $2200 into it now including new cover burn grate igniter temp probe and cast iron griddle.

ttkt57
12-22-2020, 10:55 AM
I don't think I could go back to a pellet cooker without an ash clean out door.

electron_si
12-22-2020, 11:57 AM
That ash door is pretty nice

ttkt57
12-22-2020, 12:03 PM
That ash door is pretty nice

Especially if you subscribe to the idea that pellet cookers that produce more ash produce more flavor.

Edit: I could have said that better. What I meant was that while easy ash clean out would be a great feature on any pellet cooker, it's especially nice on a unit like the Outlaw designed to give more flavor using a burn that unfortunately produces more ash. Make sense?

AClarke44
12-22-2020, 12:28 PM
The PBC is an amazing cooker! I’ve owned one and really enjoyed it and absolutely everything I cooked was great, especially anything chicken! But, I ultimately sold it because I stoped using it because of the time I needed to put into monitoring and cleaning (mainly removing ash and coal), etc. That’s ultimately what led me to a pellet smoker. Again, I’m not trying to talk you out of a PBC, but it seems to me your Yoder would be less work. I do understand getting bored and wanting to try something new though too!
Good luck with your decision!

Chester
12-22-2020, 12:47 PM
I'd do the ACS upgrade on the Yoder, and figure out ways to ease your cleanup. Like placing foil below the cook etc. Just can't imaging what would make the cleanup on the Traeger much easier than on the Yoder. Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like cleanup would be comparable. The Yoder, in my book is just a better machine.

ttkt57
12-22-2020, 01:32 PM
I'm not convinced that it has the best pellet burn engineering, but this cooker is certainly a looker. And ready to be parked seaside if anything is.

Edit: Oops! This pic was meant for another thread. Oh, well . . .

tom b
12-22-2020, 01:34 PM
I had a Timberline 1300 for a couple years. It was on of the first models of the line, I didn't experience many of the issues reported early but my major complaint was the extended heat up time and recovery time also. I really liked the Timberline before I upgraded to Mak 2*. I never cooked on or had food cooked on a Yoder so i can't compare the 2, but I did some side by side cooks comparing the Mak to the Timberline. MAK won out easily.

testing here if interested
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271875

electron_si
12-22-2020, 08:37 PM
Well after reading everyone’s input and watching some YouTube reviews as well as looking at one at Ace hardware today I’ve talked myself out of it. The front shelf of the timberline is tiny and the fire pot and auger system isn’t on the same level as the Yoder.

I decided to go out and fire the Yoder up for a steak sear. Did a flat iron on the Yoder cast iron. I wasn’t disappointed.

https://i.imgur.com/0H9dcwEl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3qDdDkfl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hrUb8vkl.jpg

-Chris-
12-22-2020, 08:45 PM
I think you made the right choice, all smokers require maintenance. With the two-piece diffusor, vacuuming out the burn pot is a 5-minute activity.

I have not had a better steak than one grilled over a Yoder wood fire.

Chris

jermoQ
12-22-2020, 08:49 PM
I think you made the right decision. Even though I have never used either, I have seen a Yoder and I would buy one (if I had the money) easy over any other "cheap" cooker. I would give away both my Pitbosses to make room for a Yoder. That's just IMnotalwaysHO.

ttkt57
12-22-2020, 08:51 PM
Is your Yoder part stainless? If so, I haven't seen that before.

electron_si
12-22-2020, 08:54 PM
That stainless front section is an accessory that Yoder offers called a drip shield or drip guard. I love it because it keeps drips off the front paint and is easy to clean.

I’m planning to take the wheels off and paint the rims black and add the full stainless shelf sleeves once it warms up a little. I went to pull the trigger last week but the shelf was on back order. I hate the silver wheels, the black wheels look much better.

Chester
12-22-2020, 09:18 PM
That is a nice looking Yoder. I think you would really have missed it if you traded it off.

AClarke44
12-22-2020, 10:15 PM
That is a nice looking Yoder. I think you would really have missed it if you traded it off.

I agree with this 100%. Plus that steak you made was perfect!

ssv3
12-22-2020, 10:26 PM
Good choice! I would've done the same. :becky: Just get the ACS upgrade since you have the igniter and plate already and you'll love it even more. I believe it's $399 free shipping. Atbbq.com

electron_si
12-22-2020, 10:26 PM
I really thought everyone was going to push me over the edge and I would have my Yoder up for sale next week. Turns out the opposite happened.

I still have my eye on a PBC though. I’m thinking the full size but maybe the junior would fit the bill

electron_si
12-22-2020, 10:27 PM
Good choice! I would've done the same. :becky: Just get the ACS upgrade since you have the igniter and plate already and you'll love it even more. I believe it's $399 free shipping.

Sako, thanks again for the help. Yoder is actually a local company to me. They are about 2 1/2 hours away. All things BBQ is their flagship retail location which is even closer. I’ve looked at the ACS a few times and almost pulled the trigger, I guess I need to just bite the bullet and upgrade.

ssv3
12-22-2020, 10:28 PM
I really thought everyone was going to push me over the edge and I would have my Yoder up for sale next week. Turns out the opposite happened.

I still have my eye on a PBC though. I’m thinking the full size but maybe the junior would fit the bill

No offense to anyone but I'd never take a Traeger over a Yoder. I've seen the Timberline in person and wasn't impressed either.

Flat iron looks killer BTW. :becky:

ssv3
12-22-2020, 10:35 PM
Sako, thanks again for the help. Yoder is actually a local company to me. They are about 2 1/2 hours away. All things BBQ is their flagship retail location which is even closer. I’ve looked at the ACS a few times and almost pulled the trigger, I guess I need to just bite the bullet and upgrade.

You got it brother! I was going to say you were close but wasn't sure. Def worth it and the swap is pretty quick. I love to see the temps, program cooks, and increase decrease temps from the phone or computer. It's also saves logs of all your cooks from start to finish. Pretty neat.

ttkt57
12-22-2020, 10:47 PM
It's hard to go wrong with a Yoder. I chose Outlaw because Nelson's shop is 20 minutes away and because of the ash clean out door. But it would have been Yoder I think had there not been another great choice locally.

Got any of that steak left?

electron_si
12-22-2020, 10:51 PM
I ate more of it than I should have

rwalters
12-23-2020, 07:24 AM
Love a happy ending! Now go flip the switch and cook something to celebrate a renewed love... lol.