PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here do their brisket at 500°f

Shadowdog500
12-14-2020, 08:30 PM
Has anyone here ever cooked their brisket at 500°f?

I just saw this interview of Pitmaster Roy Perez. https://youtu.be/F9evvg_ORQ4

A little after the 8 minute mark he talks about their hot and fast method that gets the briskets done in 4 to 5 hours.

They put them In a 500°F pit until they are nearly done then transfer them to a 200°f finishing pit.

I couldn’t imagine cooking brisket that hot but this place has been doing it that way for over 100 years. They use Traditional pits and shovel wood, charcoal if that makes a difference.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/a5/e3/6e/kreuz-market.jpg

Burnt at Both Endz
12-14-2020, 08:34 PM
Gave the lake neighbor lessons on cooking brisket, he has a big @ss home made cabinet smoker. He said it purrs along around 325* or so.

We smoked a couple briskets in 5.5hrs.

I told him I thought his temps was prolly off a ways.....

SMOKE FREAK
12-14-2020, 08:37 PM
Might not be too far off the "Smokey Okie Brisket sear" method. It works.

Jason TQ
12-14-2020, 09:11 PM
I've done 400+ few times and takes ~5hrs. Definitely a different brisket and you have to watch it so it doesn't "char".

Most times now I cook 300-350 and even larger briskets take ~6hrs and more margin for error.

I wish I had a pit house like theirs :-D

Clay-b-que
12-14-2020, 09:22 PM
Is that Smitty’s Market in Lockhart? I am doing mine hot and fast but not that hot or fast! Wow!

Edit - just watched the video and it’s Kreuz Market (same family as smittys BTW).

Shadowdog500
12-15-2020, 12:23 PM
Is that Smitty’s Market in Lockhart? I am doing mine hot and fast but not that hot or fast! Wow!

Edit - just watched the video and it’s Kreuz Market (same family as smittys BTW).

Have you had brisket from either one? I’m curious what a brisket cooked at 500°f is like compared to the ones done in the 225°-275° range.

Shadowdog500
12-15-2020, 12:25 PM
I've done 400+ few times and takes ~5hrs. Definitely a different brisket and you have to watch it so it doesn't "char".

Most times now I cook 300-350 and even larger briskets take ~6hrs and more margin for error.

I wish I had a pit house like theirs :-D

How is the brisket different? Is it drier, less Smokey, different texture?

Thanks!

markdtn
12-15-2020, 12:31 PM
Have you had brisket from either one? I’m curious what a brisket cooked at 500°f is like compared to the ones done in the 225°-275° range.

Both Smittys and Kreuz brisket are outstanding! I have been to Lockhart twice to both places. Got "wet" at one and "dry" at the other so not an apples to apples test, but both were very tasty.

Aggie12
12-15-2020, 12:49 PM
I’ve had Kreuz brisket a couple times when they briefly had a location here in Bryan. Even though it wasn’t from their Lockhart location, I would assume they cooked it the same way. I will say it was delicious and I had no idea it was cooked that fast. So... no significant difference in taste or texture that I could tell for those that are asking. I would think the window on proper doneness would be extremely narrow though.

Shadowdog500
12-15-2020, 01:02 PM
I’ve had Kreuz brisket a couple times when they briefly had a location here in Bryan. Even though it wasn’t from their Lockhart location, I would assume they cooked it the same way. I will say it was delicious and I had no idea it was cooked that fast. So... no significant difference in taste or texture that I could tell for those that are asking. I would think the window on proper doneness would be extremely narrow though.

They put it in a 200°f pit near the end. I assume this is to widen the window on when it is done. He uses a probe method to tell when it is done using a large diameter probe about halfway through this video.

https://youtu.be/-ip1bxOoe-I

I may try this method if it gets good results.

Clay-b-que
12-15-2020, 04:06 PM

I used to work in Lockhart and had both several times. Both are good but I prefer Smittys brisket over kreuz. We went to blacks, Kreuz, and smittys in one day and ordered the exact thing at each place. I think everyone liked something different from each place. Blacks had the best brisket for me. Smittys for sausage.

gtsum
12-15-2020, 04:10 PM

I’ve eaten at Kruez’s a couple years back and don’t recall them cooking that hot, but maybe they did? Brisket was good...nothing earth shattering by any means but good. Wasn’t dry and tasteless that’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Burn
12-15-2020, 07:39 PM
John Mueller cooks up there in temp. I had his brisket at the black box before it closed and it was delicious.

pjtexas1
12-15-2020, 08:09 PM
I really think hot and fast is the original way. But back then nobody had thermometers.
Is Kruez's the place that cooks clod in place of brisket? If so, I know some of the family. I've never had the brisket but those that did didn't have much good to say.
I'd say the 200 finish helps with that doneness window. I've tried 400 with good results.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pjtexas1
12-15-2020, 08:10 PM
John Mueller cooks up there in temp. I had his brisket at the black box before it closed and it was delicious.I agree. Dude can cook!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Clay-b-que
12-15-2020, 08:23 PM

Don’t know how I managed to quote myself but was trying to quote you here and answer your question above.:doh:

Shadowdog500
12-15-2020, 08:33 PM
Don’t know how I managed to quote myself but was trying to quote you here and answer your question above.:doh:

I didn’t even notice that you quoted yourself. I skimmed right over it figuring it was mine.

horizon23
12-16-2020, 02:47 PM
Kreuz Market claims they smoke meats like they did in Germany which might explain their preference for high temps. What does Louie Mueller do?

Burn
12-16-2020, 02:57 PM
Kreuz Market claims they smoke meats like they did in Germany which might explain their preference for high temps. What does Louie Mueller do?

Not as hot. But how his son does.