PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Enhanced or not?

Jobiz
11-19-2020, 10:04 PM
I'm sure this is a bit of a newbie question but I'm confused about the whole enhanced Turkey thing.

Is this bird enhanced?

] (https://flic.kr/p/2k8hz8M])https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50621919863_1cb7a267e8_w.jpg

I tend to think that it is but it only says "basted" with broth, salt, etc.
Is that the same thing?

I'm trying to decide between brining or injection or a dry brine.

Thanks

LYU370
11-19-2020, 10:13 PM
Yep, it's enhanced. "up to 8%"... Your 12.5lb. bird can have "up to" 1lb of "broth". Your cheap birds will all be enhanced.

SweetHeatBBQnSC
11-20-2020, 07:32 AM
and if they are enhanced, then brining does no good? Isn't that correct?

redchaserron
11-20-2020, 08:25 AM

They'll still take the brine. I buy the turkeys that are on sale every year, usually the honey suckle white, and they are enhanced, but a 24 hour brine, then 24 hour rest in the fridge to dry the skin, seasoned with herbs and smoked and they were awesome.

Jobiz
11-20-2020, 02:17 PM
I've also seen some posts here that say "Dry Brining" is the way to go for enhanced.
I just received my packet of Harvest Brine today so that's what I'm leaning toward.

IamMadMan
11-20-2020, 03:53 PM
The bottom line is this: Read the labels thoroughly, and understand what it is you are buying, cooking, and eating.

The only way to determine if your turkey has been enhanced is to carefully read the label; look for the key-words like "basted", "enhanced", "injected", and "improved". Also look for phrases like "extra tender", "always tender", "moist and juicy", “self-basting”, and "tender and juicy". Lastly, check the ingredients list for salt, phosphates, solution, broth, or flavorings. These are the key words to determining if your turkey has been injected. Even with the words "Fresh" and/or "Natural" could be still be used to describe an enhanced turkey if you read the small print.

Enhanced meat is well grounded in the market chain, and it isn't going away anytime soon. Besides being well rooted in the market place, enhanced meat is extremely profitable. Unsuspecting consumers are drawn to the key-words and key-phrases, with the promise of a better product for a better meal.

Many do not realize that although the end result of the enhancing process is tenderness, the real reason for enhancing turkey is for increasing profits. Enhancing a turkey will; extended the shelf life, enhance the color, and will add additional weight to the package. While a 5% gain in package weight might not seem like a large profit margin; consider the fact that 736 million pounds of turkey are sold each year. 736 million pounds of turkey sold at an average of a dollar a pound will turn that added 5% weight into an additional $36,800,000.00 in annual profits.

Sadly, many consumers do not have fresh meat sources to choose from, so they have no choice but to purchase enhanced meats from the general marketplace.

Jason TQ
11-20-2020, 04:10 PM

I still dry brine them and sometimes also inject on top of that :-D. I really like the flavor of dry brining. I don't rub anything else on top typically right before cooking. The dry brine helps inside and out (the skin).

Seefyre
11-20-2020, 04:35 PM
If the bird is enhanced, I found skipping brining in favor of injection is my favorite method. My injection is super simple, lots of fresh sage simmered in butter-sometimes a little garlic. Strain out the leaves and garlic and pump that sucker full of buttery goodness.

jasonjax
11-20-2020, 05:32 PM
I've found no difference between enhanced or natural, but I wouldn't call myself a turkey connoisseur either.