PDA

View Full Version : Not getting enough pepper out of your grinder?

Mikhail
11-14-2020, 07:29 AM
This is interesting, but MAN, what an expensive grinder!

I am intrigued, but my frugal side says I can buy pre-ground Malbar black pepper at Costco for $5 and sprinkle by hand.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mannkitchen/mannkitchen-pepper-cannon-the-pepper-mill-for-pepper-lovers?ref=6uzxfg&utm_source=jellop&ja=z2aimakj&utm_term=069.ja&utm_content=Pepper_cannon-CL04&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3xoexgI4BdF_51XUgHDNVcneiAkQTZbfhBHkzD9 eWVfdgm7z-FFTcJDC8&utm_campaign=1605358626726.xp1s

frayedend
11-14-2020, 07:41 AM
Yeah, $200 for a pepper grinder that isn't some fancy wood? I don't think so. I prefer fresh ground but what I do if I need a bunch is use my spice grinder and make as much as I need. I like a lot of pepper but I've never needed 70 turns to season a steak.

Jason TQ
11-14-2020, 08:00 AM
Loved my unicorn but I lost it.

This one from Sams is by far the best "pre filled" mill I've ever used. Costcos one is awful.

But this sams one is well worth the $7 or whatever it was. And its refillable.

halfcocked
11-14-2020, 09:23 AM
Seriously?

Mikhail
11-14-2020, 09:53 AM
I'm sure most any product can be improved if you dont care what you have to pay for it.

Whumpa
11-14-2020, 09:58 AM
Been along time since I’ve watched a add video that made me laugh, but it’s hard to justify that much money for a pepper mill. Still, good video.

SmoothBoarBBQ
11-14-2020, 10:00 AM
I buy a $10 pepper grinder made by Oxo, and I just take the handle off and attach my drill. I get about 3-4 months out of one of these before the shaft breaks. I can do an entire 1Lb bottle of peppercorns in about 10 minutes, and that's enough for a week or 2 of running my BBQ food truck.

Edit : Looking at the pictures on the website this Maankitchen grinder does look VERY well made. Looks like the 1st production run is already sold out, and the estimated ship date is June 2021. Expensive but it certainly looks to be a solid piece of equipment.

Curt.P
11-14-2020, 01:09 PM
I love pepper. I'm a destroyer of pepper mills. I have a couple German made Zassenhaus with ceramic burrs and they've been the only thing that's held up to my use. Probably doesn't help that I chuck them in my cordless drill from time to time. That cannon thing? Way overpriced for a steel burr mill, and then there's this:

MÄNNKITCHEN is a US company and we work with many different suppliers. The Pepper Cannon will be manufactured by an exceptional partner in China.

My 40cm Zassenhaus Berlin mill cost $54 last year. I have been looking at a Peugeot Olivier Roellinger and I can get one of those for around $75.

zippy12
11-14-2020, 02:55 PM
This is the grinder from my grandfather.. cant beat the real metal grinders!

http://www.waxhaw.net/pics/20201114_155006 (1).jpg

Hawklaw
11-15-2020, 03:57 PM
I love pepper. I'm a destroyer of pepper mills. I have a couple German made Zassenhaus with ceramic burrs and they've been the only thing that's held up to my use. Probably doesn't help that I chuck them in my cordless drill from time to time. That cannon thing? Way overpriced for a steel burr mill, and then there's this:

My 40cm Zassenhaus Berlin mill cost $54 last year. I have been looking at a Peugeot Olivier Roellinger and I can get one of those for around $75.

I have had a Peugeot that has done me well for at least ten years and still works as well as new.

mike243
11-15-2020, 04:20 PM
Been using a oxo for about 3-4 years, works very well, went thru a bunch of different POS but I will make sure not to use a drill on mine lol, while I am sure that's a lifetime mill I don't want to spend any where near that for 1. Now forgot to ck the lottery tickets I bought yesterday I might order 1 or heck 6 for gifts