PDA

View Full Version : Flat Iron Steak, Reverse Seared on the 22" OTG

Gnarlbecue
11-13-2020, 05:20 AM
It was windy and cold and rainy and gross outside here in the PNW tonight.....so of course I decided to spend some time outside playing with fire, smoke and meat!

Picked up a cheap Choice Flat Iron.

I pulled it out of the cryo and blotted excess moisture off before hitting it with a light dusting of Oakridge SPOGOS and Redmond Kosher Realsalt about 24hrs before the cook. I then threw it in a freezer bag and left it in the fridge overnight.

I lit about 20 Cowboy briquettes and a chunk o' hickory in the ol' rustomatic charcoal chimney, and dumped that over the leftover mesquite lump from yesterday's cook in the trusty ol' Weber 22", set up for indirect heat with 2 firebricks to corral the direct heat on one quarter of the grill space.

I pulled the meat out of the bag and rubbed it with EVOO, then applied a generous dusting of garlic powder, fresh ground black pepper and just a pinch of Oakridge Black OPS rub for that "kick" of chipotle and earthy notes from chili, cumin etc.

I got her up to about 250F and waited for clean smoke before slapping this bad boy on the indirect side of the grill for about 40 minutes, adding some soaked hickory chips a few times for some extra smoke flavor and trying for a brisket like smoke ring (wet chips produce more gasses that lead to a smoke ring, which normally eludes me when I fixate on TBS on a relatively short cook).

After the internal temp hit about 125ish, I pulled it off and tented loosely with foil. I then opened the bottom vent all the way, left the lid off and added a medium sized log of Mesquite lump to the existing fire, and tended that until it was blazing hot and burning clean with no smoke.

I then blotted excess moisture off both side of the steak and added a medium dusting of Oakridge Carne Crosta rub.

I then seared each side over insane direct heat, flipping and rotating every 45 seconds to 1 minute for a total of 4 minutes or so to achieve an awesome charred crust, then pulled it.

Tented loosely and rested for about 10 minutes before slicing.

Simply one of the best pieces of beef I have cooked in a long time! (Coming from the guy who does steak 2-3 times a week)

Farking amazing! Great flavor, supremely tender, easy to cook and fairly forgiving...and cheap! I just ate it as is, but I can see fajitas, tacos, cuban sandwiches etc in the future with this cut and this method of cooking.

Do yourself a favor and do this!

Thanks for lookin!

Shiz-Nit
11-13-2020, 06:01 AM
Looking good

PatAttack
11-13-2020, 06:30 AM
Flat iron is fast becoming a favorite.

Don't tell anyone because everyone will start buying it and the price will skyrocket!

Gnarlbecue
11-13-2020, 06:51 AM
I'll be honest here. If it wasn't for the hype I wouldn't have even considered this cut.

So for once, I'm grateful to the rockstar youtubers and chefs on TV for turning me on to this awesome, yet slightly more affordable cut.

Normally I resent those guys for selling is out by putting great, affordable, yet lesser known cuts on blast and revealing our secrets😂.

RIP Flank, Skirt, Tri-Tip, Picanha, Beef Ribs, and any other "affordable" cut.🙄

creek bottom
11-13-2020, 06:53 AM
Good stuff!

Robert
11-13-2020, 08:17 AM
I'll be honest here. If it wasn't for the hype I wouldn't have even considered this cut.

So for once, I'm grateful to the rockstar youtubers and chefs on TV for turning me on to this awesome, yet slightly more affordable cut.

Normally I resent those guys for selling is out by putting great, affordable, yet lesser known cuts on blast and revealing our secrets😂.

RIP Flank, Skirt, Tri-Tip, Picanha, Beef Ribs, and any other "affordable" cut.🙄
Steak looks really good. I have purchased Flat Irons from Snake River Farms three different times because I have never seen them in the local stores. I have no other comparison, but those steaks were really good and super tender. The package was an individual steak about 8-10 ounces and were priced at $11.00 A little bit high, but oh so good. This was for the Double R choice steaks. I notice now they no longer list Double R, but sell 1 1/2 pound pieces at $79 for the black label and $99 for the gold label. Much more expensive at $52/lb and $66/lb respectively.

So there I was yesterday in the local Walmarts (that's what the old timers call it) peering into the meat counter looking for some yellow tag meat. Not seeing any yellow tags, but I do find three packages of flat irons and they were priced the same as the rib eyes. I probably should have bought them to see if they stacked up to the Double R steaks.

So, based on the above, I think the secret is out on the flat irons unfortunately.

What are the prices other folks are seeing?

Thanks,

Robert

PatAttack
11-13-2020, 08:25 AM
Been getting mine from Walmarts, too.

I buy them out every time as they are very affordable.

Kind of like chuck eyes used to be.

Big George's BBQ
11-13-2020, 10:02 AM
That looks fantastic

bigbadwu
11-13-2020, 02:35 PM
flat irons are tasty :)

Titch
11-13-2020, 02:38 PM
That steak looks very good, nice cooking mate

Robert
11-13-2020, 04:31 PM
Been getting mine from Walmarts, too.

I buy them out every time as they are very affordable.

Kind of like chuck eyes used to be.

Whatcha seeing price wise? These were $9.97/lb same as the rib eye.

Stingerhook
11-13-2020, 09:30 PM
Perfectly done.

SMOKE FREAK
11-13-2020, 09:41 PM
I find them @ Dillons(Kroger)for 9.99/# 6.99 on sale. Got a few in the freezer.

Happy Hapgood
11-14-2020, 12:15 AM
Steak looks really good. I have purchased Flat Irons from Snake River Farms three different times because I have never seen them in the local stores. I have no other comparison, but those steaks were really good and super tender. The package was an individual steak about 8-10 ounces and were priced at $11.00 A little bit high, but oh so good. This was for the Double R choice steaks. I notice now they no longer list Double R, but sell 1 1/2 pound pieces at $79 for the black label and $99 for the gold label. Much more expensive at $52/lb and $66/lb respectively.

So there I was yesterday in the local Walmarts (that's what the old timers call it) peering into the meat counter looking for some yellow tag meat. Not seeing any yellow tags, but I do find three packages of flat irons and they were priced the same as the rib eyes. I probably should have bought them to see if they stacked up to the Double R steaks.

So, based on the above, I think the secret is out on the flat irons unfortunately.

What are the prices other folks are seeing?

Thanks,

Robert

Great looking Flatiron G! They are easy to get around here and we do them often.

ShadowDriver
11-14-2020, 12:33 AM
Yes, please!

There's not much like braving the elements to cook dinner. Loved the crazy looks I'd get from our neighbors in Germany along those lines.

Killer flat iron steak. I'll add that to my list tomorrow and see if I can have a bit of similar luck.

Gnarlbecue
11-14-2020, 08:17 AM
Here in the temperate, cold, moist NW of the US I cook outdoors 2-3 days a week, all year round.

My neighbors are mostly like "You can't do that, it's not barbecue season"🙄.

Or "What kind of weirdo actually cooks outside in a windstorm?!" Some of them have tried to call the fire department on me🤣.

I relish the passive aggressive, jealous hate they project on me because they are too lazy to cook their own food in a fun way like we do.

I catch these same neighbors going to Mc Donald's first thing in the morning, after waking up from bacon dreams from smelling my TBS all night.

The Urban Smoker's struggle is real