PDA

View Full Version : It's time to go digital and I know you

jacob
06-28-2007, 07:00 PM
brothers can send me in the right direction. I know there have been threads on this. I want to go digital with my meat thermometer, I want two, one remote and one to leave at the pit. Knowing you all have tried several brands hook me up with a link to the best you have found for a good price.:?:

PalmettoSmoke
06-28-2007, 07:05 PM
jacob,

I use the Maverick ET-73, and like it. You can get it here for $39.95:

http://www.partshelf.com/maet73.html

thillin
06-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Nu Temps are great. Look in the links section at the top of the page. Might save a few bucks.

smooookin
06-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Nu Temps are great. Look in the links section at the top of the page. Might save a few bucks.

what he said.

Cliff H.
06-28-2007, 11:07 PM
ET-73 delivered for 44 bucks

http://wolfes5.tripod.com/wolferub/id14.html

chinesebob
06-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Well I'll only say this - if it looks to good to be true it probably is. I bought 3 on a deal for 19 a piece and all three of them only last about 4 hours.

JamesB
06-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Honestly, I've all but given up on the "leave in the meat" thermos... Get yourself a Thermapen and be done with it... Once you get to where you just kinda know about when the meat should be ready, it is super simple...

James.

Spydermike72
06-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Honestly, I've all but given up on the "leave in the meat" thermos... Get yourself a Thermapen and be done with it... Once you get to where you just kinda know about when the meat should be ready, it is super simple...

James.

Definetly Therma Pen!!

big brother smoke
06-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Yep, Thermapen. Don't really touch the other ones now!

Full Throttle Q
06-29-2007, 12:08 PM
NU-Temp with remote $40 here http://nu-temp.com/tvwb/ you can also buy up to 2 extra remotes for $20 each and the base will monitor all three. I have been very happy with mine
Mike

Arlin_MacRae
06-29-2007, 12:51 PM
I've got the Maverick as well and it seems to be great.

JD McGee
06-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Here is another source for the ET-73. http://www.amazon.com/Remote-check-7-Wireless-Thermometer-probes/dp/B00004SZ10/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8502093-8325633?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1183140899&sr=8-1

Happy Smokin!

Oops! I just multi-posted...LOL! Note to self...don't drink and type!

Keri C
06-29-2007, 01:12 PM
I have two Maverick ET-73s that I ordered on the first day they became available several years ago. Both are still going strong, though I've replaced two probes because of dropping cooker doors on them. :icon_blush:

I have a Nu-Temp set - one receiver and three transmitters. Better range than the ET-73, and faster updates on the receiver. Two years and still going strong. See special offer (http://nu-temp.com/tvwb/)arranged with Nu-Temp for us by Mordechai Striks (upon edit, this is the same Nu-Temp link that Mike showed above).

I have an ugly gray Thermapen that stays in my pocket no matter where we're cooking. Even if I have no others with me, I have the Thermapen.

What I REALLY want is a Thermapen with the plug mount extension cable. They also have a probe that can stay inside the cooker and be unplugged from the main unit, so that you can use the unit and a probe (or probe and curly-extension) to check meat temps, then you can unplug the curly cord, hook up to the cooker-probe cord that's hanging out of the cooker somewhere, and check cooker temps. I haven't convinced myself to part with the $$$ yet. Sure would be nice on the Fat 50, though, since those racks are close to three feet deep into the cooker.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/images/tpen_plug_hand_cord.jpg

On the other hand, the longer you cook, the less you need a thermo. On the WSMs, I can pretty well tell by laying my hand on the lid whether the temp is about where it needs to be or not. The meat temps will lie to you, too - I've had packers perfectly done at 180, and still not done at 210. Pork butts really give themselves away easily without a thermo - you can tell just by looking at them, poking at them, and wiggling the bone when they've given up the collagen and are ready to fall apart in sheer terror when you point a fork at 'em.

Chicken? Shoot, I don't know about chicken. I can't cook chicken worth a... ehem... "fark" anyway. :redface:

Keri C, still Smokin' on Tulsa Time

JD McGee
06-29-2007, 01:17 PM
brothers can send me in the right direction. I know there have been threads on this. I want to go digital with my meat thermometer, I want two, one remote and one to leave at the pit. Knowing you all have tried several brands hook me up with a link to the best you have found for a good price.:?:

A lot of folks swear by the Maverick ET-73...here is a link to...

http://www.amazon.com/Remote-check-7-Wireless-Thermometer-probes/dp/B00004SZ10/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8502093-8325633?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1183140899&sr=8-1

Happy Smokin! :biggrin:

Bigmista
06-29-2007, 01:58 PM
On the other hand, the longer you cook, the less you need a thermo. On the WSMs, I can pretty well tell by laying my hand on the lid whether the temp is about where it needs to be or not. The meat temps will lie to you, too - I've had packers perfectly done at 180, and still not done at 210. Pork butts really give themselves away easily without a thermo - you can tell just by looking at them, poking at them, and wiggling the bone when they've given up the collagen and are ready to fall apart in sheer terror when you point a fork at 'em.

Chicken? Shoot, I don't know about chicken. I can't cook chicken worth a... ehem... "fark" anyway. :redface:

Keri C, still Smokin' on Tulsa Time

Nuthin quite so attractive as a well versed sisteren!!

SmokeInDaEye
06-29-2007, 02:52 PM

I used mine for the first time last weekend and really enjoyed having one base for three remotes.

The fact that they don't have an on/off switch seems kind of stupid though. I hope the battery life is great because there are four screws that have to be removed before you can take out the batteries. Too much work for me.

Norcoredneck
06-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Maverick, then Trermapen.

Keri C
06-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Clint said, "I hope the battery life is great because there are four screws that have to be removed before you can take out the batteries. Too much work for me."

Clint, I have to change my batteries out about every six months or so.

PalmettoSmoke
06-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Can you use the Nu-Temp to monitor smoker temp? Put the probe through a cork or tater o something like that?

Keri C
06-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Yes - I dangle the probes through the vents in the top of the WSM. I also poke the probe through a half of a potato and set on the grate of the Fat 50. Have also poked the probes through foil balls if I didn't have any potatoes handy.

Bigmista
06-29-2007, 07:34 PM
This is hilarious to me!!
"1 Diamond Plate Products "Fat 50", with chrome Peterbilt stacks (a girl's gotta have her bling...)"

jacob
06-29-2007, 09:17 PM
I have been saving the links and taking your comments very serious. I am still undecided which way to go. But that happens quite a bit lately.

Keri C
06-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Well, one advantage is that if you get the Nu-Temps you can use up to three individual therm unit transmitters on three different cookers and have them all read to the same receiver. For the ET-73, you have two wires in the same transmitter. Thus, the NuTemp is most convenient if you have more than one cooker going.

thillin
06-29-2007, 10:10 PM
I have been saving the links and taking your comments very serious. I am still undecided which way to go. But that happens quite a bit lately.

Send the GrandPooBah a pm about the NuTemps before you decide.

JamesB
06-30-2007, 02:12 AM
On the other hand, the longer you cook, the less you need a thermo. On the WSMs, I can pretty well tell by laying my hand on the lid whether the temp is about where it needs to be or not.

I do the same thing! I still get a lot of looks when I go "lay hands" on one of the offsets every now and then... You just get to the point where you know... It's alot easier cooking since I gave up worrying about 5 degrees here or there... :)

James.

nmayeux
06-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Just a warning... If you decide on the Thermapen, just be sure to get an orange one, as they are the most accurate! ;)

I use the Nu-Temps for keeping an eye on the pit and meat temps, and they have been great in this role. Having a base station with up to three remotes is really handy at times. The Thermapen works wonders when you are concerned about a lot of meat being cooked at one time, or you are concerned about a really delicate piece of meat.

Now although I consider the thermo as one of my most important cooking tools, you have to consider that information along with everything else that is going on. The lady makes a pretty good point.