PDA

View Full Version : facebook vs bbq-brethren...

patrickd26
10-29-2020, 08:14 PM
I juggle my online bbq time between this site and very few facebook groups(I don't do FB otherwise). I clearly see that there is so much more positivity and knowledge here. There's no debate... I just need to shut facebook down. Sorry... thinking out loud! I will say that facebook introduced me to some new cookers and techniques in the time that I was on it. But, I think it's time! These are my peeps! Happy Friday, all!

drunkenmeatfist
10-29-2020, 08:26 PM
The groups can be good to find talk about one specific cooker, but the new interface killed it for me. It is clunky to navigate and now it will repeat posts when I scroll through. I didn't even search for a way to go back to the previous look because it wasn't worth my time.

okiej
10-29-2020, 09:27 PM
I like the Shirley fan page and the Shirley 24x36 page. That might be because I have a 24x36 ordered though. It is good to see the different cookers and options

pjtexas1
10-29-2020, 09:58 PM
I like the Shirley fan page and the Shirley 24x36 page. That might be because I have a 24x36 ordered though. It is good to see the different cookers and optionsThat's the only ones I use too. I spend 90% of my time here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SweetHeatBBQnSC
10-30-2020, 08:51 AM
Totally agree

Mikhail
10-30-2020, 09:22 AM
The PK and Good One groups are OK but there is not the depth of knowledge there is here.

Lynn Dollar
10-30-2020, 09:28 AM
I've never done Facebook and I never will.

Spend my time here and the TVWBB , and since TVWBB is mostly gas grills and rehabbing gas grills, that leaves me here a lot . But no complaints.

Ron_L
10-30-2020, 09:35 AM
I ue FB mainly to keep in touch with BBQ Competition friends and coffee friends. Like anything else, it has it's uses and you just have to pick and choose what you want to pay attention to.

BTW, there is a BBQ Brethren FB group. We try to limit it to members of the forum, so it isn't filled with spam and other crap.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BBQBrethren

You have to answer three simple questions to get in. If you don't, you will have 3 days to answer them before the request is deleted. PM me on here or message me on FB (https://www.facebook.com/RonLewen/) with any questions.

But, the forum is our primary place to hang out! FB is there for those who want to join.

frognot
10-30-2020, 09:51 AM
John (SirPorkaLot) has a great FB group called BBQ Pitmasters - Novice to Expert. It's well moderated and very positive.

smoke ninja
10-30-2020, 10:44 AM
Facebook isn't setup well for tutorials. you cant put text in line with pictures. there is also a ton of flat out bad information on most bbq pages I've found. even in good groups like johns folks pay more attention to stupid memes then learning to cook type posts. is what it is

SirPorkaLot
10-30-2020, 10:58 AM
even in good groups like johns folks pay more attention to stupid memes then learning to cook type posts. is what it is

Or mustard :becky:

Bill-Chicago
10-30-2020, 11:03 AM
I prefer the fake news here than anywhere else.

16Adams
10-30-2020, 11:07 AM
Just looked I belong to 32 FB Groups. Not all are cooking. They come and they go.
Not one of them prepare me, teach me, entertain me, make me think like The BBQ Brethren.
This site is interesting, intelligent, excellent format- and well moderated 24/7/365
And the member photography is really cool

JEStucker
10-30-2020, 11:54 AM
I've got Facebook, mainly for Messenger more than anything. I use it to keep in touch with family and friends and that's about it. My family is scattered from Maine, to Georgia, to Colorado, to Oregon, and here in Missouri and using it to share photos and family events has been nice, especially this year since travel has been pretty restricted.
I think I'm in 35 or so groups on Facebook, most of them have the notifications turned off.

Raider18
10-30-2020, 11:56 AM
I follow pages for the cookers I own, some of those flat out suck and others are much better. I took my favorite attributes from each page I follow and started my own group if anyone is interested. It's called Barbecue Love. We have about 200 members so far. No Memes so you don't see the same ol stuff over and over and no bashing on what someone is cooking on as we want to encourage everyone to get outside and cook.

TC Smoke & Que
10-30-2020, 03:29 PM
It was through a local FB group that I found my BX 50. Enjoy the group, not too big, and mostly what you cooked last. Info gets sucked up like a sponge when you post it, but it does not happen often.
I much prefer this site, True Brothers in smoke, educational from a great depth of knowledge, and humor that is truly funny at times without being stupid. Most of all, the Brotherhood / Friendship!

Mikhail
10-30-2020, 04:25 PM
I ue FB mainly to keep in touch with BBQ Competition friends and coffee friends. Like anything else, it has it's uses and you just have to pick and choose what you want to pay attention to.

BTW, there is a BBQ Brethren FB group. We try to limit it to members of the forum, so it isn't filled with spam and other crap.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BBQBrethren

You have to answer three simple questions to get in. If you don't, you will have 3 days to answer them before the request is deleted. PM me on here or message me on FB (https://www.facebook.com/RonLewen/) with any questions.

But, the forum is our primary place to hang out! FB is there for those who want to join.

I did not know that. I use FB for a lot of stuff, not the least to start and support a charitable group I founded. it's an exceptionally valuable tool for that sort of thing and communication if you stay away from the yahoos.

DanB
10-30-2020, 05:09 PM
Hi All FB page seems to answer my questions much faster then posting here.
DanB

patrickd26
10-30-2020, 05:30 PM
I agree. This site is much more educational and there is a camaraderie.

jzadski
10-30-2020, 09:50 PM
Don't have facebook anything, not on it. I used to be on great lakes bbq but, then they switched for the most part to facebook. So very happy here

Happy Hapgood
10-31-2020, 01:40 AM
I’m on FB for grand baby in STL. For all things BBQ it’s the BBQB!

TravelingJ
10-31-2020, 02:15 AM
I don't trust facebook at all. I left there years ago and never looked back. If it's important, people find a way to get the information to you. I've also moved away from most forums at this point. Heck, I left the family groupme chat-and they make sure to email me when they need something cooked for a dinner :wink:

4ever3
10-31-2020, 08:18 AM
Coming here is like going to Grandmas house fer a Christmas dinner...

16Adams
10-31-2020, 10:04 AM
Granny put beans in chili
Poppa did not
Both put Half a loaf of Meades Fine Bread or Rainbow center table
Oleo margarine And saccharine
Poppa was a WWII Medic, he didn’t talk much