PDA

View Full Version : Ice storm in Oklahoma today

Lynn Dollar
10-27-2020, 09:23 AM
Should be plenty of wood available.

I got my eye on my neighbor's pecan tree. It has broken branches already, probably more damage to come.

I'm regretting having not invested in a gasoline chain saw so I can go " help " everyone with their trees and limbs.

Mikhail
10-27-2020, 10:29 AM
Like lunch, there's no such thing as free wood.

Lynn Dollar
10-27-2020, 11:25 AM
Neighbor is gonna need some help with the limbs off his pecan tree

https://i.imgur.com/zx7qTGZ.jpg

Mikhail
10-27-2020, 12:26 PM
That's a shame to see a beautiful big tree torn up like that.

But... it's a lot of good wood. when life gives you lemons...

ronbrad62
10-27-2020, 01:22 PM
I like your positive attitude. Check out the pawn shops or online for a cheap chainsaw. People may be selling stuff due to Covid.

Big George's BBQ
10-27-2020, 01:49 PM
Shame about the tree. Good luck with the wood

SMOKE FREAK
10-27-2020, 08:35 PM
We got the ice bad here but not that bad...

Good luck with the pecan (wood) harvest.

okiej
10-27-2020, 08:47 PM
Broken tree limbs everywhere here. My peach trees took a beating. Haven't had electric all day. Finally came back on. Will be getting some wood for sure.

Lynn Dollar
10-29-2020, 10:42 AM
Now that the ice has melted, I've been out driving around and this is not the bonanza I thought it would be. When covered with ice, the trees were bent over, but once ice melted they mostly returned to form.

And almost entirely its limbs that have broken. And they're mostly small limbs. It would be possible to get some good splits from them, but not enough for the work involved. I've only seen a few trees broken at the trunk and they're mostly ornamental like Bradford Pear or Redbud.

And finding oak and pecan trees is hard. I doubt anyone plants a hickory tree in their yard here. There's a few pin oak trees, but again, its small limbs that have broken off. Pecan trees are rare.

ronbrad62
10-29-2020, 11:06 AM
Funny story, a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine that knows I do BBQ called and asked me if I needed any pecan wood. I told him that I didn't have a stick burner and probably won't be able to use any. He said that I could cut it to any size I needed as it would be limbs. I again said I didn't need any but I asked what he had. He then said that I could cut the limbs off of his dad's pecan trees, take what I wanted and dispose of the rest in a nearby ditch. The farker was trying to get me to prune back his dad's trees that he had obviously asked him to do. I declined altogether. It reminded me of a whitewashing the fence story...