PDA

View Full Version : New Smoker Mods

DockEllis
10-22-2020, 09:28 AM
Greetings Brethren,

Long time listener, first time caller. I just scored what I think is a pretty sweet deal on a used smoker from Cannon Pits & Fabrication in Granbury:

https://i.ibb.co/k2Jp267/smoker.jpg

She is 20”x45”x3/8”. Tyler, the owner, texted me asking if I wanted to do any mods prior to picking her up, which I hadn't really considered. Now I'm thinking maybe a small table in front, but wanted to see if there is anything I'm missing that you all would add.

Thanks.

pokeable
10-22-2020, 10:25 AM
Front table is very convenient and would get.

Would also get at least one thermometer probe port drilled in so you aren't squishing the wires via the door of the cooker.

Finally, if not there, maybe welds for a second rack so you can have more space?

Nuco59
10-22-2020, 11:01 AM
Ditto on the table. Not sure there's a ton of room in a 20" for a second rack but if there is, go for it

Stlsportster
10-22-2020, 11:19 AM
Probe ports for sure. Hard to tell on the firebox from this angle but make sure it has vents in the door.

Also, depending on where you plan to use it and how often you intend to move it...put those golf cart wheels on all 4 corners instead of the casters.

rovster
10-22-2020, 12:00 PM
Saw that on insta I totally would have bought it! Congrats on the purchase. Yes, would be nice to have a table/shelf!

DockEllis
10-22-2020, 02:35 PM
Saw that on insta I totally would have bought it! Congrats on the purchase. Yes, would be nice to have a table/shelf!

Yeah I really lucked out. I don't check instagram very often and just happened to that night and that was the first post on my feed. I was sitting there thinking "man, that's a good deal. I'm probably going to procrastinate and it's going to sell, then I'll kick myself for not jumping on it." So I just went for it.

Thanks for the replies. He's going to add the front shelf, get me a hole for probes, and add a shelf near the fire box for a water pan. Will post some more pictures once I get my hands on it!

SmokyDick
10-22-2020, 03:24 PM
Cook on it first before modding. But front tables are nice.

uhmump95
10-22-2020, 03:29 PM
Cook on it first before modding. But front tables are nice.This right here. I remember wanting to do a bunch of mods to my offset. Listened to this advice and hasn't needed to change a thing.

Still thinking about adding a baffle though ....

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

zippy12
10-22-2020, 04:23 PM
a T handle with cool grips off the stack so you can move when hot

thirdeye
10-22-2020, 04:47 PM
I agree about a shelf in front of the cook chamber. How do the lids seal, are there mating surfaces on the inside we can't see? And how about adding a flat plate to the top of the fire box? It could be used as a warmer.

shares
10-22-2020, 04:54 PM
It looks like the damper on the exhaust is fully open / closed - like the flapper on a diesel truck exhaust. If you want to control temps at the exhaust instead of the firebox door, that might be a mod to consider and a great excuse spend a few hours with the angle grinder and welder!

qapla
10-22-2020, 07:04 PM
Nice looking rig

You might want to put some hooks on the front shelf for holding tools

Personally, I would get rid of those odd shaped pieces of metal sticking of from the lids ... maybe replace then with a nice shape like this

billbek
10-22-2020, 07:46 PM
Good looking pit!
Congrats.

cowgirl
10-22-2020, 11:17 PM
Nice!

Happy Hapgood
10-23-2020, 12:28 AM
Looks like a great rig from the outside. Congratulations!

Titch
10-23-2020, 12:30 AM
Nice looking toy mate:thumb:

TravelingJ
10-23-2020, 02:00 AM
Is paint an option?

DockEllis
10-23-2020, 10:27 AM
Thanks everyone! Good catch on the open/closed on the stack, I hadn't noticed that before. I'll probably be cooking with it wide open most of the time but down the road that might give me a nice little project if it needs to be dialed in more. Same with the warming plate, those seem just easy enough for a novice like me to screw up :laugh: Regarding the paint, I figured that could be a weekend project to save a little money.

According to the builder it seals great, so I'm hoping that is true. It was $1,000 and I knew I'd have to jump quick without being too much of a nuisance with questions.

Oh, and I'm going to have to pass on putting that odd looking phallic shape on there if I ever want to be able to resell it :-P