PDA

View Full Version : Spend my money?

Killa J
10-21-2020, 12:03 PM
After getting more used to my newest smoker (The Good-One Marshall), I’ve realized that maybe you can go too big on a smoker. It’s a charcoal hog. Sucker burns through an entire bag of lump for every cook. Which wouldn’t be bad if I had it loaded up, since it should be able to hold like 8-10 briskets. But I rarely cook more than 2 at a time, and usually only 1. Maybe 4 racks of ribs at a time. I cooked a single pork butt yesterday and went through a 16 pound bag of lump plus some leftover Ridge charcoal.

It’s actually not too bad when using as a stick burner, but I want something that can be set up and left alone for a while. I already have a pellet grill and a 22” kettle. So I want something that uses charcoal and wood chunks, is set-and-forget, and doesn’t burn through a ton of fuel. But with more capacity than the 22” kettle. And if possible around $1000. Maybe a little more, but not considerably higher.

I think I want an IVS. I’d love to get a Lone Star or Ironside, but that’s over what I want to spend. Especially when you factor in shipping. I’d be ok with a gravity feed smoker too. The rumors of a $999 Weber charcoal kamado sounds interesting as well, but I’m not sure if you could fit 2 briskets or 4 racks of ribs on it.

drunkenmeatfist
10-21-2020, 12:11 PM
At that price I don't know of many cabinet options other than the Backwoods Chubby 3400. I went with a Hunsaker drum and it has the capacity to do what you mention and it holds very solid temps. Only other thought would be a 22" WSM with a temp controller.

Killa J
10-21-2020, 12:18 PM
At that price I don't know of many cabinet options other than the Backwoods Chubby 3400. I went with a Hunsaker drum and it has the capacity to do what you mention and it holds very solid temps. Only other thought would be a 22" WSM with a temp controller.

I hadn’t really thought about drum smokers. That may be the way to go. How are they as far as charcoal consumption? Do you have to rely on the meat dripping on the charcoal for flavor? I sometimes like to smoke turkeys with a pan underneath to catch the drippings for gravy.

cclinard1
10-21-2020, 12:45 PM
I also agree that a drum fits your needs.

https://smokerbuildermfg.com/collections/built-for-you-smokers-and-grills/products/built-for-you-draftmaster-uds-by-smokerbuilder

Check these out. I can get 20hrs on one charcoal basket. Better quality and options than Gateway. Can’t speak for the Hunsaker. You can also save a little money by assembling it yourself. Lots of good options. Frank and Tom are putting out nice products. Check them out on YouTube also.

JeffinNE
10-21-2020, 01:03 PM
Another drum option...looks like a great cooker with many extras included.
http://www.blazngrillworks.com/blazn1

I'd be tempted to make the drive to Willis, TX and pick up a Pee Wee to save shipping costs if the budget could be stretched. Other IVC would be the Backwoods Chubby--free shipping but not sure if it will hold a full packer brisket. Or a Humphreys Weekender but shipping costs might be too much.

Chester
10-21-2020, 01:21 PM
Assassin 36" $875. Can run a snake setup on the charcoal, or run a guru.

Killa J
10-21-2020, 01:29 PM
Assassin 36" $875. Can run a snake setup on the charcoal, or run a guru.

I forget that they make charcoal grills, almost never see them. I’ll have to see how much shipping is for one of those.

TC Smoke & Que
10-21-2020, 03:09 PM
You might want to consider a Weber Smokey Mountain 22" for your smaller cooks. Does not burn a ton of charcoal and has an easy learning curve. I check mine about every hr, just to make sure. A Guru would make it a "set it and forget it". About $430.00 unless you find a good used one on line.

drunkenmeatfist
10-21-2020, 03:20 PM
I hadn’t really thought about drum smokers. That may be the way to go. How are they as far as charcoal consumption? Do you have to rely on the meat dripping on the charcoal for flavor? I sometimes like to smoke turkeys with a pan underneath to catch the drippings for gravy.

The Hunsaker comes with a deflector so the drippings aren't hitting the coals directly. It doesn't rely on that for flavor, but if you like that flavor you can run without the deflector in place. My drum usually settles in around 275 and I have done some longer cooks on pork butt, but I have never come close to running out of fuel.

Kai Yaker
10-21-2020, 04:27 PM
Have you thought about a Big Green Egg or the Kamodo Joe ceramic grills? I don't think I can get 15 hours out of my egg but can run pretty steady for a long time doing ribs, butts, pizza, and best of all it is a steak cooker. It puts out some good steak. Just a thought. I have the large egg and would like a big Kamodo Joe with the rotisserie. Shoot, I want a Shirley too. This hobby is about as bad as fishing...

Yaker

Killa J
10-21-2020, 06:26 PM
Have you thought about a Big Green Egg or the Kamodo Joe ceramic grills? I don't think I can get 15 hours out of my egg but can run pretty steady for a long time doing ribs, butts, pizza, and best of all it is a steak cooker. It puts out some good steak. Just a thought. I have the large egg and would like a big Kamodo Joe with the rotisserie. Shoot, I want a Shirley too. This hobby is about as bad as fishing...

Yaker

If I go the kamado route, I’m pretty sure I’d get a Weber Summit Charcoal. Supposed to be releasing a less expensive one soon, too. I’ve used a smaller green egg before and I had an Akorn for a few years.

But yeah, there’s like 4 or 5 more cookers I want.

NoOne
10-22-2020, 12:45 AM
A little more than $1K, but have you considered the Humphries Weekenders smokers. They should be about the size you are looking for and give you the IVS option.

https://www.humphreysbbq.com/collections/smokers

I think I’m settling on the Battle Box, they look very solid.

Happy Hapgood
10-22-2020, 01:21 AM
After getting more used to my newest smoker (The Good-One Marshall), I’ve realized that maybe you can go too big on a smoker. It’s a charcoal hog. Sucker burns through an entire bag of lump for every cook. Which wouldn’t be bad if I had it loaded up, since it should be able to hold like 8-10 briskets. But I rarely cook more than 2 at a time, and usually only 1. Maybe 4 racks of ribs at a time. I cooked a single pork butt yesterday and went through a 16 pound bag of lump plus some leftover Ridge charcoal.

It’s actually not too bad when using as a stick burner, but I want something that can be set up and left alone for a while. I already have a pellet grill and a 22” kettle. So I want something that uses charcoal and wood chunks, is set-and-forget, and doesn’t burn through a ton of fuel. But with more capacity than the 22” kettle. And if possible around $1000. Maybe a little more, but not considerably higher.

I think I want an IVS. I’d love to get a Lone Star or Ironside, but that’s over what I want to spend. Especially when you factor in shipping. I’d be ok with a gravity feed smoker too. The rumors of a $999 Weber charcoal kamado sounds interesting as well, but I’m not sure if you could fit 2 briskets or 4 racks of ribs on it.

Going by your description you just asked for a WSM.

Mikhail
10-22-2020, 08:31 AM
Yeah, as much as I like the way my Open Range cooks, it does eat up some charcoal in the process. I use my PK a lot more because my cooks tend to be smaller - it's just the two of us and maybe another couple from time to time.

Killa J
10-22-2020, 08:58 AM
I’m on the fence about getting something else. My wife might lose her sh... stuff if I buy another cooker. And $1000 buys a lot of charcoal. Just something about spending almost as much on the charcoal as on the food rubs me the wrong way for small cooks. Maybe I need to try a temp controller on my Dancook kettle. It doesn’t have adjustable intake dampers, so I haven’t found it works well for smoking - only grilling so far. But maybe with the intake holes covered and a blower fan on one, I can get good stable temps.

Mikhail
10-22-2020, 09:35 AM
Yeah, mine gets testy when I talk about buying new coookers too. She cannot fathom why I need more than three.

Different tools for different jobs.

uhmump95
10-22-2020, 03:19 PM
Yeah, mine gets testy when I talk about buying new coookers too. She cannot fathom why I need more than three.

Different tools for different jobs.Just tell them it is like purses or shoes and then they will understand.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

NoOne
10-22-2020, 03:41 PM
Just tell them it is like purses or shoes and then they will understand.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

That doesn’t work when your wife doesn’t give a F about purses or shoes.

So tell her that with another cooker you will be able to cook more often and that will give her more time to relax and enjoy life. The cooker is more of an investment in her happiness. The fact that you get a new toy by bringing her that happiness is just a lucky coincidence.

West River BBQ
10-22-2020, 05:30 PM
Yeah, mine gets testy when I talk about buying new cookers too. She cannot fathom why I need more than three.

Wait a minute, only three?

Killa J
10-22-2020, 05:50 PM
If we count the outdoor broiler and the camping grill, I’ve got 7 and a Santa Maria grill being built. Yikes

Garyclaw
10-23-2020, 07:21 AM
Build a UDS......

Killa J
10-23-2020, 08:45 AM
I’m going to buy a Fireboard to try to control the temp. Thinking if I light less charcoal and use a fan controller, it might use less charcoal.

On a side note, do briquettes usually smell bad when you’re using them in a smoker? I pour the bag of lump in the basket and light a few spots. The basket wasn’t full, so I added maybe 4 or 5 pounds of Ridge charcoal. When the area with the Ridge started to burn, it smelled bad. I usually light them in a chimney and don’t notice a funky smell. But my wife even came outside and said whatever I was burning smelled bad.

70monte
10-24-2020, 03:55 PM
I’m on the fence about getting something else. My wife might lose her sh... stuff if I buy another cooker. And $1000 buys a lot of charcoal. Just something about spending almost as much on the charcoal as on the food rubs me the wrong way for small cooks. Maybe I need to try a temp controller on my Dancook kettle. It doesn’t have adjustable intake dampers, so I haven’t found it works well for smoking - only grilling so far. But maybe with the intake holes covered and a blower fan on one, I can get good stable temps.
The Marshall is a great smoker but does use a lot of charcoal. I've had mine for almost four years and have only used it about 3 or 4 times. I bought it because I got a great deal on it plus I thought I would be cooking for more of the family get togethers which didn't happen. I don't even use the Open Range much these days.

Most of the time I'm just cooking for the two of us so I use the PK 360, the M1, or the Hasty Bake Legacy the most. I do use the PBC occasionally as well.

Luckily my fiancée doesn't say too much about how many cookers I have or buy so that is a plus. Good luck on your decision.