PDA

View Full Version : Spicewine Waterpan Question

chinesebob
06-24-2007, 11:03 PM
To all of you spicewine owners and lovers out there -

Do any of you put anything in your waterpan other than water? I put a gallon of applejuice in it the other day to try out what would happen. So about 3 gallons of water, 1 gallon of applejuice.

A couple of days ago I tried a little bit of Jim Beam in it. Am I wasting product here or does anyone else do this?

I would think the steam would carry the sugars and the flavor but I'm not sure.

tkuehn5410
06-24-2007, 11:07 PM
I put sand in my pan to help keep things warm. That's it!

Rusty_Barton
06-24-2007, 11:24 PM
I've tried apple juice, wine, water that the wood soaked in, etc in the water pan and have not been able to tell the difference from using just plain water. It would probably be better to spray the apple juice directly on the meat .

Norcoredneck
06-25-2007, 01:24 AM
Water in my Spicewine.

MilitantSquatter
06-25-2007, 06:33 AM
I have begun to cook "dry" in the Spicebox... only thing I put in the waterpan are a lining of aluminum foil and then a large aluminum pan to catch and drippings to prevent any burning on the hot steel and ease of clean up..

Dustaway
06-25-2007, 09:06 AM
I start out wet then let it go dry and use pans under the briskets and butts to catch drippings :-D

damfrank
06-25-2007, 09:39 AM
used beer a couple of times worked good .

Roo-B-Q'N
06-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Have gone away from "flavoring" the water in the pan and use straight water, couldn't tell the difference.
And I am sure when Spice catches this thread he will tell you water in the pan, Jim Bean in Spice.

Smokey Pearce
06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
ChineseBob: When I don't have time to mop I will fill a tray with either water, juice (apple, grape, etc), or my mopsauce.

BBQ_MAFIA
06-25-2007, 11:12 AM
All water in my Spice.

Mo-Dave
06-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I have begun to cook "dry" in the Spicebox... only thing I put in the waterpan are a lining of aluminum foil and then a large aluminum pan to catch and drippings to prevent any burning on the hot steel and ease of clean up..

I have given thought to doing what you are doing. maybe a pan with sand in it and covered with foil, like I used to do with my WSM, for a heat sink. What if any differences to you find doing it the way you are doing it?
Dave

SteerCrazy
06-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Water only for me. It's easier to clean than you think. I just crank the trailor down so the smoker is slanted towards the back of the smoker and put a 5 gallon bucket under the drainage spout to catch the leftover junk. I also use a spackling knife to scrape down anything that might have collected in the pan and to push the water through to the bucket.

MilitantSquatter
06-25-2007, 08:57 PM
I have given thought to doing what you are doing. maybe a pan with sand in it and covered with foil, like I used to do with my WSM, for a heat sink. What if any differences to you find doing it the way you are doing it?
Dave

I can't really comment about the differences... I only cooked with the water pan once the first day I got it at the Kingsford event w/ Chris Lilly and Poobah. We cooked about 50 pork tenderloins on the Spicebox and they came out excellent. I was surprised at how much steam it produced.

I knew going it that it was made to be used with water. I had thoughts of cooking w/o water even before it arrived so my decision was not based on the finished product during the first cook.

There are a few others cooking dry in the Spicebox as well with very strong results. The "theory" here being that temps can be better controlled as temps will not increase as water evaporates and the heat energy gets transferred elsewhere in the chamber. Others will argue the boiling water helps keeps temps down regardless. For me, it's one less factor I need to concern myself with (the longer time to get up to temp, the need to add (possibly cool) water during a cook, as well as the extra time to clean out).

I've had good results since... ask Poobah... he can't get over how well the chicken cooked on it at the Dr. BBQ Class. His reason for this was that everyone prepped the same chickens, at the same time, using the same ingredients pre and post cook yet when he ate my his eyes rolled in the back of his head... I also managed 3rd place overall out of 50 at my last contest. My best results to date.

I don't think there is a right answer as too many are producing great results at home and contests using it with water like Spicewine himself, Jeff in KC, Belly Bros, Solidkick and Mr. Smoker. Some of us are doing well waterless.

I'm sure I'll experiment with water again at some point, but for now I am satisfied with my decision.

Sledneck
06-25-2007, 09:02 PM
I can't really comment about the differences... I only cooked with the water pan once the first day I got it at the Kingsford event w/ Chris Lilly and Poobah. We cooked about 50 pork tenderloins on the Spicebox and they came out excellent.

I knew going it that it was made to be used with water. I had thoughts of cooking w/o water even before it arrived so my decision was not based on the finished product during the first cook.

There are a few others cooking dry in the Spicebox as well. The "theory" here being that temps can be better controlled as temps will not increase as water evaporates and the heat energy gets transferred elsewhere in the chamber.

I've had good results since... ask Poobah... he can't get over how well the chicken cooked on it at the Dr. BBQ Class. His reason for this was that everyone prepped the same chickens, at the same time, using the same ingredients pre and post cook yet when he ate my his eyes rolled in the back of his head... I also managed 3rd place overall out of 50 at my last contest. My best results to date.

I don't think there is a right answer as too many are producing great results at home and contests using it with water as designed like Spicewine himself, Jeff in KC, Belly Bros, Solidkick and Mr. Smoker.

Some of us are doing well waterless.

I'm sure I'll experiment with water again at some point, but for now I am satisfied with my decision.

Viiny made poobahs eyes roll in the back of his head...pass it on:wink:

MrSmoker
06-25-2007, 09:13 PM
I cook my chicken in one w/o water and the other meats are cooked in the other one with water in the pan.However i don't spray anymore,don't open the door to spray and i'm done 30 min. sooner. I like the chicken much better. I was doing the same method in the Dually but it's much easier in the Spicewine

n-2-que
06-25-2007, 09:18 PM
i have only done water but have tossed the idea of sand

Jeff_in_KC
06-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Just water for me. Going dry in the Spicebox would seem to make temps soar! Plus when mine does boil dry, it stinks to high hell! I wouldn't want that nasty flavor/smoke coating my meat.