PDA

View Full Version : Netflix - The American Barbecue Showdown

Shiz-Nit
09-08-2020, 09:48 AM
Netflix - the American Barbecue Showdown
Season 1 starts September 18.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwigxpWh5tnrAhXWZs0KHRtHCRUQFjAAegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.netflix.com%2Ftitle%2F810578 55&usg=AOvVaw3BDLiA1YkkE0sKEXBM3bej

Smokin Dawg77
09-08-2020, 10:30 AM
NICE !! finally something to watch

Smokin Dawg77
09-08-2020, 10:31 AM
Heard.... chefs table..... is also really good show

SweetHeatBBQnSC
09-08-2020, 10:32 AM
This is AWESOME!!! If I had a dollar for everytime I've said, I wish I was into smoking when Pitmasters came on originally.

Shiz-Nit
09-08-2020, 10:47 AM
Heard.... chefs table..... is also really good show

It is AWESOME

SmoothBoarBBQ
09-08-2020, 11:26 AM
Wow....a BBQ show that's actually about BBQ and not grilling! And not to be a pig but Melissa Cookston is looking fantastic in the trailer for the show.

Shiz-Nit
09-09-2020, 06:28 AM
Wow....a BBQ show that's actually about BBQ and not grilling! And not to be a pig but Melissa Cookston is looking fantastic in the trailer for the show.

Yeah agreed and Malissa Cookston is a beast of a cook in her own right.
I have talked to her a couple times as vends a BBQ festival every year along with Moe and Firehouse BBQ around 40 minuets from my house.

I had the pleasure to buy her a cup of coffee and just talked about a little bit of everything but mainly consisted of talking asking advise about her trip on the Kentucky Bourbon trail she was getting ready to take.

marvda1
09-09-2020, 08:16 AM
This looks like the same as "All Night BBQ Fight"

SmoothBoarBBQ
09-09-2020, 12:48 PM
Yeah agreed and Malissa Cookston is a beast of a cook in her own right.
I have talked to her a couple times as vends a BBQ festival every year along with Moe and Firehouse BBQ around 40 minuets from my house.

I had the pleasure to buy her a cup of coffee and just talked about a little bit of everything but mainly consisted of talking asking advise about her trip on the Kentucky Bourbon trail she was getting ready to take.

That's pretty awesome. Melissa's book (Smokin' in the Boys Room) really helped me out when I was first getting my BBQ food truck up and running. Her Mac&Cheese recipe is what I used for a while, and I still do, though I have tweaked it a bit. I really just connected with her simple approach to BBQ and her southern recipes are fantastic!

Steve68
09-09-2020, 01:33 PM
Thanks - Just set a reminder in the Netflix queue!

TC Smoke & Que
09-09-2020, 04:18 PM
Looks like I am going to have to go for the 30 day free trial to watch this. I really enjoy watching BBQ shows and usually pick up some tips, and tricks from them. Plus, the re-runs of BBQ Pitmasters on the Travel Channel every Friday, is getting a little old, but I still watch.

Happy Hapgood
09-09-2020, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up Shiz!

ronbrad62
09-29-2020, 05:50 PM
I started watching and I'm currently on episode 5. I looked up the show info online and it was filmed in my hometown of Covington, Ga. Looking at the smokers used, I'll bet this is where JasonTQ picked up his Hunsakers last year when he went in to the temporary smoker hoarding business.
I admire these cooks, how they are able to adapt to the challenges and be creative with the ingredients given. I don't think I would be ready for a spot on a show like this, so I'll just sit comfortably on the sofa and enjoy.

jhblaze1
09-29-2020, 06:39 PM
Chef's table BBQ edition was awesome. That Fire Door concept is seriously badass.

The BBQ showdown was good too. Just finished it the other day. I like the concept of relative amateurs having to cook meats their unfamiliar with and use something other than their own back yard pit that they're used to. The finale was really cool so I won't spoil it.

jzadski
09-29-2020, 06:58 PM
I started watching and I'm currently on episode 5. I looked up the show info online and it was filmed in my hometown of Covington, Ga. Looking at the smokers used, I'll bet this is where JasonTQ picked up his Hunsakers last year when he went in to the temporary smoker hoarding business.
I admire these cooks, how they are able to adapt to the challenges and be creative with the ingredients given. I don't think I would be ready for a spot on a show like this, so I'll just sit comfortably on the sofa and enjoy.

That would have been cool to check out live. At least I think so.

gcs
09-30-2020, 07:22 AM
I watched a few episodes last night, sort of a bbq pitmasters / british bakeoff show , on moonshine, lol

was pretty good aside from the timing drama, and that Melissa looks like one tough hombre...:grin:

ForingersQ482
09-30-2020, 07:24 AM
Show was great!! Really hope they keep doing it! Rasheed was my favorite one.

ModelMaker
09-30-2020, 08:11 AM
Kinda almost good ish.
Ed

JD08
09-30-2020, 11:36 AM
Honestly, I didn't get past the first episode of Chef's Table. Too much biography/drama, not enough bbq.

Nuco59
09-30-2020, 12:10 PM
Struggled with the first episode. It got better.
Never understood the need for the Black female and the White Male co- "hosts"

They contributed absolutely nothing except some very basic questions directed to the 2 real bbq cooks...and to yell "show us the meats" (very lame) when the challenge times were up. Another season? I guess I'd watch.

Smokin Dawg77
09-30-2020, 01:20 PM
kinda almost good ish.
Ed

i agree ....

Jason TQ
09-30-2020, 01:22 PM
Looks like that place I got all those 12 hunsakers from here in GA after filming was done this time last year. Langs and eggs match up
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275857

Almost none of the drums were used so explains why there weren't any in the trailer shots. I don't get netflix so will live vicariously through you all :-D.

ronbrad62
09-30-2020, 01:46 PM
I didn't recognize the place they filmed at, but the area has changed so much lately. I only saw one Hunsaker in use during the show.

Nuco59
09-30-2020, 04:19 PM
I know those Langs are considered very small by the "GBoGH" crowd- but I've always wanted wanted one. I like the size and the design... but I have no use for that warmer- it looks cool but...

bgross88
09-30-2020, 05:09 PM
I’m on episode 6, currently watching it.

Why do they wear the same clothes every episode? LOL!

I’m enjoying it. Not overly educational but it’s entertaining.

ronbrad62
09-30-2020, 05:20 PM

I noticed that also.

gcs
10-01-2020, 06:12 PM
My wife asked that exact question,,,lol .

BigThicket
10-02-2020, 09:19 AM

It makes editing the episodes easier.

bgross88
10-02-2020, 02:54 PM
It makes editing the episodes easier.

So you’re saying they cut/splice from multiple cooks/days, to create one episode? I guess you could be right, but if each competition is 6-8 hours long, that would be filmed in one day and that footage edited for 1 episode, I assume.

I don’t know. I’m just spitballing.

frognot
10-03-2020, 04:51 PM
Just finished this. Was on a roll guessing who would be eliminated but missed on picking the winner.

Knew that Sylvie and Bigmista competed together and saw a quick picture of Neil on one episode. She's such a classy lady that would be cool to meet. Bet she has some good stories about Neil.

Starting on Chef's Table BBQ now.

2xal
10-04-2020, 09:08 AM
Stumbled upon this with my 8 year old last week. She's more addicted than I am now. She loves rasheed and wants me to work on my jerk recipes now. I'm confident in my 'que but props to the cooks for putting it all out there, flaws and all.

RemoGaggi
10-05-2020, 12:37 AM
I tried. Nothing to see here for me. Very little information and fake drama. Good cooks pretending to be stressed about not knowing what to do. When Rasheed pretended he had no idea how to work a Traeger, that pretty much did it for me. Also, these people never change their clothes.

SmokinAussie
10-05-2020, 05:26 AM
Never really "felt it".

2 Much Bullsh!t and not enough down to earth cooking.

Probably OK for people unaccustomed to BBQ.

I wanna learn more from a show like this.

boogiechillen
10-06-2020, 12:47 AM
Overall, I enjoyed it but what was with them never changing their clothes?

PullinPork
10-06-2020, 01:11 AM
ROFL - That seems to be the #1 question about the series.
I’m guessing they have a few sets of them, and it’s to make production easier?
Anyone have a Netflix connection that might know?

SmoothBoarBBQ
10-06-2020, 05:27 AM

No doubt about it : them wearing the same clothes allows them to edit things MUCH easier. If they need to pull a clip of someone saying something from one episode because it applies to another episode they can do so seamlessly.

You ever notice odd hair changes or minor costume changes in shows? Or you ever notice someone is drinking a beer and it's half full, then magically 10 seconds later it's 3/4 full? Yeah, continuity is challenging when editing, so something simple like people wearing the same clothes / hair / make-up, really decreases the editing challenges.

cpw
10-06-2020, 08:50 AM
Overall I liked the series. No fake drama or fighting, just cooking. Plus, I'm the proud owner of one of those hunsakers :)

pokeable
10-06-2020, 11:31 AM
I wanna learn more from a show like this.

It's why I liked BBQ Pitmasters and still will watch reruns;

The first 10 minutes and the 5-10 minutes before turn in provided some good insight on prepwork (meat trimming, rubs, injections) and finishing product. Coming from some top teams/cooks was an added bonus.

SmoothBoarBBQ
10-06-2020, 01:00 PM
It's why I liked BBQ Pitmasters and still will watch reruns;

The first 10 minutes and the 5-10 minutes before turn in provided some good insight on prepwork (meat trimming, rubs, injections) and finishing product. Coming from some top teams/cooks was an added bonus.

BBQ Pitmasters is still by far and away the best BBQ show on TV. I've discussed my "intro to BBQ" on here before, but basically it came from seeing Pitmasters on TV. The food they were cooking looked absolutely amazing and I just HAD to give it a shot. Now I'm running a BBQ food truck and am loving life...though it's a hell of a tough business.

I thought they did a good job with BBQ Pit Wars, and Smoked was a cool concept as well. But all these other Food TV or Food Network BBQ shows have been a serious letdown in my opinion. It's just them replicating Iron Chef or Chopped but with short cook BBQ meats.

bproffer
10-06-2020, 01:58 PM
This show really didn't do it for me. It was ok, but I felt like I had to force myself to watch the final episodes.

Shiz-Nit
10-06-2020, 02:17 PM
To be honest not the best show.
BUT... on the other hand at least it was a show about cooking and BBQing some what.

Seemed to focus more on the personalities of the cooks instead of the cook itself.

Nuco59
10-06-2020, 04:54 PM
I did not pick up many tips on how to "up my game" -but I've been hanging around here for years- just soaking it in.

I'd love for few of the brethren here (who I am in awe of) to tell them "hold my beer"

None of the contestants really blew me away with what they knew. They were just better than the poor souls who got cut.

ronbrad62
10-06-2020, 06:54 PM
For me, it was pure entertainment. It wasn't set up as a teaching type of show, so I just enjoyed it for what it was. I would much rather watch something of this nature than probably 95% of anything else on TV.

Shiz-Nit
10-07-2020, 06:12 AM
For me, it was pure entertainment. It wasn't set up as a teaching type of show, so I just enjoyed it for what it was. I would much rather watch something of this nature than probably 95% of anything else on TV.

True

RemoGaggi
10-07-2020, 09:04 AM
Someone needs to get Melissa Cookston her own show. I would watch that and take notes.

onemanlan
10-07-2020, 02:44 PM
I enjoyed it overall. It was entertaining. Skipped through bits and pieces because it has manufactured drama in places. Would kill for their meat & kitchen ingredient choices. Smoker choices were nice. The judging was suspect at times, but its entertainment so lets give them that. The lady judge was full of herself at times. The diff cooks were an interesting bunch. I get why the loud guy was kicked off ep 2, however he was pretty entertaining.

pokeable
10-07-2020, 06:25 PM
The lady judge was full of herself at times.

If you're talking about Melissa Cookston, she has a garage full of Memphis in May trophies to back it up.