PDA

View Full Version : Quick question(s)

bryguy
09-06-2020, 06:39 PM
Hello,

I just assembled my UDS and would like to smoke some pork shoulder tomorrow for its maiden voyage. Do I need to season it first though? Can I season and cook same day?

Also us the UDS mega thread dead now? I wasnt able to ask in there since its too old.

jzadski
09-06-2020, 07:35 PM
Yes and yes. You need to season it with a fatty though and post for everyone. I don't have an UDS but I do have a WSM so similar. I am sure others with will chime in soon enough.

Nuco59
09-06-2020, 07:44 PM
This might throw your butt cook off but you should do a seasoning cook first. A good spray (or wipe) of oil (not super heavy) and cook something fatty- bacon or chicken - something that will let some grease hit the coals and give a nice fog. 3 or 4 hours- 300 degrees. Whatever you cooked- don't eat it.

You could still get in a seasoning cook tonight- 3 or 4 hours- close the vents when done and let it die out. Knock the ash off tomorrow- top off with fresh coals and move on. I would not get up tomorrow- do a seasoning cook - then do a real cook. You could do it- but don't expect to get done early.

bryguy
09-07-2020, 10:15 AM
Seasoned this morning and pivoted to a couple chickens since they get done fast. Seasoning with some el cheapo bacon.

rovster
09-07-2020, 10:48 AM
I seasoned mine. Sprayed with Pam all over and just let it run! No food on that run I let it go until the coals ran out don’t think that’s necessary though...