PDA

View Full Version : Big Joe Restoration project

cameronleespener
08-31-2020, 10:42 AM
Hello there!

So I recently found a Big Joe on fb marketplace for an irresistible price, I've been looking for a while, so I pounced, now I just need to get it cook-ready. The main body is in not terrible shape, but it's missing quite a few items, and will need some cleaning/repair. I'm hoping the combined expertise hear can help me get this thing in good working order for the least amount of extra $ possible, and more importantly without damaging the integrity of the grill.

Condition Report:

The ceramic body itself is in good shape with no major cracks or chips. There are a few issues that need to be addressed however:

1) The upper part of the interior has some green staining. I assume this is from algae/moss since I live in the PNW. Any tips on how to gently clean this, or should I just do a burnout when I get the rest set up?

2)The felt that is in between the band and the ceramic is in pretty bad shape and will need to be replaced. I'm having trouble finding out what material to use.

3) I'm not sure what to call this, but the hole that helps align the hinge on the back side of the band has been worn quite a bit. Making the hole about 1 1/2" long and the ceramic a bit crumbly there (see pic). Does anyone know of any substance I could safely patch this with? Or is that even worth doing?

Missing parts:

At that low of a price I wasn't too concerned about replacing a few parts, but after price checking I found I need approx $400-$450 in replacement parts. I can get most of these from BBQ Guys, but I figured I would reach out to the community here and see if people had recommendations for third party replacements, custom ideas, or systems that have worked better for folks than the standard gear.

Here is a list of what I need:

Firebox
Deflector
Grill Grates
Flex cooking rack (is this necessary or is there another way to grill/smoke without it?)
Replacement Gasket kit
Missing the upper half of the cart, not sure if I will try and purchase that, or make a custom table
I will be focusing on grilling and smoking with this grill, so I don't really need some of the specialty items.

I know this is a lot of information/questions, so don't feel like you have to address everything, but if you have some advice on any of the subjects, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and happy grilling!