PDA

View Full Version : Hamburger grinding question...

Whitewookie
08-25-2020, 11:09 AM
You guys that grind your own hamburger, what cuts do you like?

I’ve decided to give this a try. I ordered the meat grinder attachment for the KitchenAid so this weekend we’re gonna have a go at grinding our own.

I was thinking of starting with a couple ribeyes, but also want to know what else works good.

Thanks in advance...

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doug S.
08-25-2020, 11:51 AM
Chuck Roast

sudsandswine
08-25-2020, 11:57 AM
Chuck is a good base, sometimes I'll grind only chuck, other times I'll mix in other cuts with it. Chuck/short rib is a favorite combo of mine, chuck/brisket, or just brisket (often have a couple pounds of trimmings when prepping a brisket)....I've used whole ribeye subprimal trimmings, tenderloin trimmings, sirloin, and varying combos therein. The world is your oyster :thumb:

Clasko2
08-25-2020, 12:41 PM
I've really liked a short rib/ribeye combo.

Gimmethecash
08-25-2020, 12:50 PM
Chuck mostly, sometimes with some round to lower the overall fat content. Pork & chicken (not together) on a couple of rare occasions (not for hamburgers though lol). I’ve run a rib-eye or two and some chuck eye. Almost anything that’s beef should be fair game.

Whitewookie
08-25-2020, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the help guys. So far it seems Chuck is the go-to... Bye all means keep suggestions coming. I am new to this meat grinding game so I need all the suggestions and help I can get.

VR,
Harold

robertm
08-25-2020, 01:04 PM
Chuck roast is great. Brisket trimmings are great. Best things I've ever ground was the trimmings from a PSMO tenderloin. Whatever is left from cutting down to make steaks or loin roast should NEVER be thrown away. Grind it up and make the most tender burgers you've ever tried!

mstewart39
08-25-2020, 01:21 PM
Chuck Roast. But I cut out as much fat as I can, and I replace it with about the same weight of bacon. Then I grind that together.

thirdeye
08-25-2020, 01:58 PM
Buying a 'chuck roll' (16# or so and boneless) is a great value and makes good burger. You can remove fat to your liking, and you can separate out individual muscle groups if you want a roast. My Sam's carries them but you have to ask as they keep them in the walk-in.

Here are some of the custom grinds I've tried:
1. 50% brisket - 50% sirloin

2. 50% chuck - 50% sirloin

3. 33% brisket - 33% chuck - 33% sirloin

4. 40% chuck - 40% boneless short ribs - 20% brisket

5. 50% sirloin - 25% chuck - 25% brisket

One thing to consider is supplementing some flank steak for brisket. For example #1 calls for 50% brisket and 50% sirloin. You could make that 25% brisket, 25% flank, and 50% sirloin.

After you prep your whole muscle meat, be sure to chill it in the freezer until it's icy. This will help with grinding. I actually like to partially freeze it, then grind as it defrosts. You will figure out a good routine. I only grind amounts of 5# to maybe 30# of beef or pork, so the KA grinder works great for me. I do have some additional plates because I like a coarse grind for red and green chili as well as taco meat. I sharpen the knife and polish the plates about once a year. As much as I like the KA grinder.... the stuffer attachment is horrible, so when you venture into cased sausages buy a good stuffer.

https://i.imgur.com/fu7oaJq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4ehxHzt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uc0pxlJ.jpg

Whitewookie
08-25-2020, 02:15 PM
Buying a 'chuck roll' (16# or so and boneless) is a great value and makes good burger. You can remove fat to your liking, and you can separate out individual muscle groups if you want a roast. My Sam's carries them but you have to ask as they keep them in the walk-in.

Here are some of the custom grinds I've tried:

1. 50% brisket - 50% sirloin

2. 50% chuck - 50% sirloin

3. 33% brisket - 33% chuck - 33% sirloin

4. 40% chuck - 40% boneless short ribs - 20% brisket

5. 50% sirloin - 25% chuck - 25% brisket

One thing to consider is supplementing some flank steak for brisket. For example #1 calls for 50% brisket and 50% sirloin. You could make that 25% brisket, 25% flank, and 50% sirloin.

After you prep your whole muscle meat, be sure to chill it in the freezer until it's icy. This will help with grinding. I actually like to partially freeze it, then grind as it defrosts. You will figure out a good routine. I only grind amounts of 5# to maybe 30# of beef or pork, so the KA grinder works great for me. I do have some additional plates because I like a coarse grind for red and green chili as well as taco meat. I sharpen the knife and polish the plates about once a year. As much as I like the KA grinder.... the stuffer attachment is horrible, so when you venture into cased sausages buy a good stuffer.

https://i.imgur.com/fu7oaJq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4ehxHzt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uc0pxlJ.jpg

Great info here. Thanks!

Havabrew
08-25-2020, 02:15 PM
I have the KA grinder attachment too and haven't bought ground beef for the past year or so. I started with chuck roast and a little bacon but eventually settled on straight chuck. No other cuts make sense cost-wise in my area. I cut out all the hard fat and vacuum seal/freeze smaller amounts. Very pleased with the results.

rovster
08-25-2020, 02:19 PM
I normally do chuck and add trimmings from either brisket or ribeyes. I also save my fat from my dry aging experiments and use that. I wouldn’t use ribeye only because it’s expensive to grind but I bet it would make a great burger. Occasionally if I have a really fatty ribeye I’ll clean it up and save the fat and trimming for burger grind.

On a side note I also save pork trimmings of ribs and roasts that I add to my meatballs. I use a manual grinder as I don’t grind often. Would love to try my hand at sausage making one day.

thirdeye
08-25-2020, 02:38 PM
I normally do chuck and add trimmings from either brisket or ribeyes. I also save my fat from my dry aging experiments and use that. I wouldn’t use ribeye only because it’s expensive to grind but I bet it would make a great burger. Occasionally if I have a really fatty ribeye I’ll clean it up and save the fat and trimming for burger grind.

On a side note I also save pork trimmings of ribs and roasts that I add to my meatballs. I use a manual grinder as I don’t grind often. Would love to try my hand at sausage making one day.

You are right, a little pork added makes great meatballs, but adding even 10% pork to ground beef is a nice change, and it will bump the moistness.

Start your sausage adventures with recipes that are not stuffed, like Italian, Chorizo, any of the breakfast or farm varieties. Because sausage burgers are so good..... I form them into patties and vacuum seal, but will just break them up if we need some for a pizza or to put into lasagna. Here is a simple sausage recipe, it's similar to German or Polish sausage and you probably have all the ingredients.... This sausage is great for a sausage sandwich.

LUKAINKA

Lukainka is a French Basque farm style sausage. I was introduced to this sausage about 30 years ago, but never had a recipe. It's popular in cities having a Basque community and is served at Basque festivals and sold through small meat markets, but otherwise it's relatively unknown. Starting only with a list of ingredients (and 3 different test versions) I developed the recipe below.

1000g - ground pork butt
15g - salt - (1.5%)
2g - black pepper - (0.2%)
1g - white pepper - (0.1%)
3.5g - Minced garlic - (0.35%) - Note: use 5g if you really like garlic (.5%) as much as I do.
0.7g - crushed red pepper (0.07%) -
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley (or just eyeball the amount)
Icy water

Grind the meat, mix in the seasonings and some icy water until well blended and slightly sticky. Let rest overnight for seasonings to blend.

mike243
08-25-2020, 05:58 PM
Use the tool to tighten the big nut that holds it all together, if you don't get a good snug on it they wont cut as well as they should, have fun, been driving 1 for about 15 years or so,

Bbq_lover
08-25-2020, 09:20 PM
I did a 50/50 grind of sirloin and brisket. Fantastic...
I have also done chuck and brisket trimming and some dry aged fat that I keep for such occasions. Also fantastic.. just keep your ratio to at lease 80/20 and it will be better than store bought every time!!!

LYU370
08-25-2020, 09:33 PM
Buy a whole packet brisket. Grind the flat for burgers, keep the point for real burnt ends. Winner times two.

rovster
08-25-2020, 09:37 PM
You are right, a little pork added makes great meatballs, but adding even 10% pork to ground beef is a nice change, and it will bump the moistness.

Start your sausage adventures with recipes that are not stuffed, like Italian, Chorizo, any of the breakfast or farm varieties. Because sausage burgers are so good..... I form them into patties and vacuum seal, but will just break them up if we need some for a pizza or to put into lasagna. Here is a simple sausage recipe, it's similar to German or Polish sausage and you probably have all the ingredients.... This sausage is great for a sausage sandwich.

LUKAINKA

Lukainka is a French Basque farm style sausage. I was introduced to this sausage about 30 years ago, but never had a recipe. It's popular in cities having a Basque community and is served at Basque festivals and sold through small meat markets, but otherwise it's relatively unknown. Starting only with a list of ingredients (and 3 different test versions) I developed the recipe below.

1000g - ground pork butt
15g - salt - (1.5%)
2g - black pepper - (0.2%)
1g - white pepper - (0.1%)
3.5g - Minced garlic - (0.35%) - Note: use 5g if you really like garlic (.5%) as much as I do.
0.7g - crushed red pepper (0.07%) -
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley (or just eyeball the amount)
Icy water

Grind the meat, mix in the seasonings and some icy water until well blended and slightly sticky. Let rest overnight for seasonings to blend.

Thank you! Will have to try it my wife’s family is of Basque descendence so I’m sure she’ll appreciate? So don’t use casings? I bought casings a while ago because I was planning a lamb sausage but that project never went anywhere.

How do you normally cook them and serve them? Do you run the meat through the grinder a second time when you mix in the spices? And yes we LOVE garlic in my house. It’s in our blood! Thanks!!

Whitewookie
08-26-2020, 05:26 AM
Thanks for all the help and ideas fellas.

VR,
Harold

SlickRockStones
08-27-2020, 02:05 PM
Since you’ll be grinding with a KA, keep your cubed meat to manageable size. It’ll work smoother and bog down less. On bigger jobs keep track of how hot the motor is running to keep from burning it up.

thirdeye
08-28-2020, 01:12 PM
Thank you! Will have to try it my wife’s family is of Basque descendence so I’m sure she’ll appreciate? So don’t use casings? I bought casings a while ago because I was planning a lamb sausage but that project never went anywhere.

How do you normally cook them and serve them? Do you run the meat through the grinder a second time when you mix in the spices? And yes we LOVE garlic in my house. It’s in our blood! Thanks!!

You can stuff it in casings or leave in bulk for patties served grilled and on a bun, or in a pita. I've even rolled them into 'skinnies' and served on a hot dog bun. Or meatballs served in lettuce wraps. Sometimes I'll make a thicker (hamburger steak style) pattie too. Tzatziki sauce is good, or any specialty mustard.... just not too strong as this is a mild sausage.

In my search for a recipe, I got the list of ingredients from a guy at a Basque festival, and contacted several Basque clubs to no avail. There are a few different styles of Basque sausage some are heavier on the red pepper and some have paprika.

pmad
08-28-2020, 02:33 PM
I took my teenage son to a burger class at Weber Grill.
They had us use chuck/short rib/brisket - 50/25/25