PDA

View Full Version : Fireboard 2 vs Ultra Q Controller?

darita
08-24-2020, 03:37 PM
I currently have a Cyber Q and use it primarily for temp control and was looking to upgrade. I've looked into the Fireboard 2 Drive and the Ultra Q. I'd like to be able to use the new controller for my Primo XL and my MB560. I'm hoping someone here can give me some insight into both. Thanks for the help!

patrickd26
08-24-2020, 06:43 PM
I have a FB2, Primo XL, and MB1050. I'm a FireBoard fan all the way. However, I'll say that I like the native controller on the MB better. But, I have no plans to remove my retrofit. The FB is so nice because of the charting and history. The native MB controller is so responsive. I feel like it runs w/ very small temp swings.

The only time that I run the FB2 on the Primo is for longer cooks where I won't be around. Minutes before I saw your post, I was just thinking about running the FB2 on the Primo this year for Thanksgiving. I know... that's a long way off, but I am already thinking about which of my 7 cookers to use! lol

I used to have a digi-q, and if Ultra is anything like it, I'm sure it's a well built product. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Oh, and just for the record, I use the BBQ Guru fan on the Fireboard 2!!

darita
08-24-2020, 07:44 PM
I have a FB2, Primo XL, and MB1050. I'm a FireBoard fan all the way. However, I'll say that I like the native controller on the MB better. But, I have no plans to remove my retrofit. The FB is so nice because of the charting and history. The native MB controller is so responsive. I feel like it runs w/ very small temp swings.

The only time that I run the FB2 on the Primo is for longer cooks where I won't be around. Minutes before I saw your post, I was just thinking about running the FB2 on the Primo this year for Thanksgiving. I know... that's a long way off, but I am already thinking about which of my 7 cookers to use! lol

I used to have a digi-q, and if Ultra is anything like it, I'm sure it's a well built product. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Oh, and just for the record, I use the BBQ Guru fan on the Fireboard 2!!
It sounds like you get smaller swings with the MB controller, than with the FB2? Is that why you like the MB controller better?

patrickd26
08-24-2020, 08:04 PM
It sounds like you get smaller swings with the MB controller, than with the FB2? Is that why you like the MB controller better?

Yes. Smaller swings. I just feel like the controller adjusts more quickly on the MB. There is a setting on the FireBoard to set the max fan speed. I think I have it set to 30% and that seems pretty reliable. Again, i love them both. I like to mix it up, plus if one of the controllers dies, I've got a backup plan in place.