PDA

View Full Version : Brisket on Drum.....Considerations?

rovster
08-24-2020, 02:59 PM
Always have done brisket on my kamado, want to give the drum a try. Looking for any pointers specific to the drum. I have a few questions....

1. Flip or not? I noticed the underside of whatever I'm cooking on the drum gets a little more done. Wondering if I should flip the brisket every couple hours? If not will definitely be going fat side down.

2. Pan or no pan? That's a lot of fat rendering directly onto a fire. Not sure that's a good thing or a bad thing. I know some don't like that singed fat flavor, I honestly don't know if I do or not, but I think I might. I would be concerned with the amount of fat that will be rendering and if that will cause any issues. If I pan, should I add water?

I would definitely rotate the rack every hour or so. Other than that would cook like I normally do. Drum seems to hold temps really well. Just bought some post oak chunks I want to put to good use. Never used oak before.

Thanks!

Greygoose
08-24-2020, 03:18 PM
I have a PBC and always hang until the bark is where I like it,,,around the 160 and wrap in butcher paper until 200 ish probe tender on the rack

Big Andy
08-24-2020, 03:47 PM
Trim pretty close and hang it until 160 or so.

rovster
08-24-2020, 03:51 PM
I'm assuming hang by the flat? Or does it matter? Figured the point down closer to the fire could handle it better. I like the idea of hanging should give a really even cook all the way around. Any pics of hanging brisket? 1 hook or 2?

I feel like I could almost remove all the fat cap like this. Bet the bark would be pretty sweet.

Thanks.

Pigeater
08-24-2020, 04:14 PM
I have cooked many briskets on my drum, and here is my take on your questions:
1. Fat side down on cooking grate, toward heat source.
2. Pan is fine and won't hurt anything, but you're negating a unique benefit of the drum, which is the smoke and flavor produced by the dripping fat. You also won't get bark on the surface touching the pan.
As long as your cooking grate is 24" from the bottom of your fire basket, you shouldn't need any water.

No need to rotate, in my opinion.

The best nuggets of advice I've learned here and used to make great brisket on my UDS:
1. Give your drum time to get to temp and level out with clean thin smoke before adding meat. I go minimum 1/2 hour after target temp is reached, which is about an hour from lighting 10-12 starter briquettes.
2. "If you're lookin, you aint cookin", is especially true with a drum. Keep your temp regulated and let it ride untouched. If you have to peek or remove to wrap, make sure to close your intakes for a few minuted before opening, get it closed again as fast as you can, and wait another few minutes before opening the intake again, to avoid temp spikes.

smoke ninja
08-24-2020, 04:50 PM
Always have done brisket on my kamado, want to give the drum a try. Looking for any pointers specific to the drum. I have a few questions....

1. Flip or not? I noticed the underside of whatever I'm cooking on the drum gets a little more done. Wondering if I should flip the brisket every couple hours? If not will definitely be going fat side down.

2. Pan or no pan? That's a lot of fat rendering directly onto a fire. Not sure that's a good thing or a bad thing. I know some don't like that singed fat flavor, I honestly don't know if I do or not, but I think I might. I would be concerned with the amount of fat that will be rendering and if that will cause any issues. If I pan, should I add water?

I would definitely rotate the rack every hour or so. Other than that would cook like I normally do. Drum seems to hold temps really well. Just bought some post oak chunks I want to put to good use. Never used oak before.

Thanks!

1. I am an avid brisket flipper in most circumstances. I dont want any one side to get beat up, I'd say more time fat down but definitely flip every few hours

2.i think brisket can definitely take the extra smokiness that the drippings provide. In my drum I use a holey diffuser, its a pizza pan with holes punched in it. Blocks the brunt of the heat while allowing for smokey drippings. In my pit barrels knock off I hang, no diffuser and that works great, hanging prevents the main surface from taking the full force of the direct heat so no pan works good. Water is mainly a heat sink. It will keep temps down, more even and faster recovery, no smokey drippings tho

Oak is a good

I'm assuming hang by the flat? Or does it matter? Figured the point down closer to the fire could handle it better. I like the idea of hanging should give a really even cook all the way around. Any pics of hanging brisket? 1 hook or 2?

I feel like I could almost remove all the fat cap like this. Bet the bark would be pretty sweet.

Thanks.

I hang by the point end with 2 hooks, the hanging drum is only 35 gallons and the toe of the flat touches the coals to start. That part can get pretty beat up, its only 2 or 3 inches, a larger drum should keep the brisket off the bottom. Some guys do go point down, it is sound logic keeping the point closer to the heat. Hooking from the point is what works for me.

Do not trim all the fat, the 1/8 to 1/4 inch fat cap is crucial for a moist brisket slice, it's what gives it some lubrication.

Here's a few pics.

One hook goes through the top of the flat. The other goes though the point and catches the hook holding the flat.

https://i.imgur.com/PzygxHUh.jpg

It a small drum. About 6 hours in. You can see how toasted the flat looks.

https://i.imgur.com/8oY76hUh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Rbxtnc6h.jpg

After the stall breaks I wrap in paper fat side up and finish low in an oven. Once it probes tender I'll hold a few hours at an even lower temp and then rest in an cooler wrapped in foil and towels until service time.

https://i.imgur.com/R1PVtvjh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/il6SZIth.jpg

I dont do burnt ends, those slices with flat and point and fat in the middle are my favorite. Pro tip: if you get the angle right both muscles will be cross cut

https://i.imgur.com/kZaV7Kch.jpg

rovster
08-24-2020, 04:58 PM
Damn that looks good. Thanks to all that commented so far. As far as my question about the pan, I would not put the brisket in a pan but have a drip pan on a separate rack. I guess my thinking with this set up was to diffuse some of the direct heat and not swamp the fire with dripping fat. Definitely excited about trying new cooks on my new toy. Loving it so far!

thirdeye
08-24-2020, 05:31 PM

Thanks!

The flavor of a brisket on your drum will be much better than your kamado, the difference is very noticeable.

1. Yes, start fat down and flip after about 2 hours. In about 60 or 75 minutes, turn it back fat side down. In another 2 hours take a look, it might be ready to turn again. Expect to see juices pooling on the surface early in the cook. Later, when the surface is dry, spray or mop it.

https://i.imgur.com/lgkXrbk.jpg

2. No pan. You want the fat to drip into the coals. It's like little flavor bombs and what you get is very close to open pit barbecue. It's okay to spin the rack when you are turning, but since the meat is so far above the coals the convection action is working in your favor. You will notice white smoke (not sweet blue) during the cook, normally this is bad..... but it is caused by the fat, so the smoke smells wonderful.

My drums are 12 or 15 years old, and the first mod I did was make a hanging rack. And I really like it because it eliminates turning. Still spin your rack a couple of times during the cook. Smoke ninja has you covered..... double hook with the point end up, but get the second hook in the flat. Paul Kirk hangs briskets with a bacon hook (they come in several styles 3-hook, 4-hook etc.) so that is something to look at too.

https://i.imgur.com/fzFdsMq.jpg

Speaking of temps, measure the pit temp in the center of the drum. A short stem thermometer mounted in the side can be off as much as 50°. Sometimes I use a cable thermometer just above the meat, but both my drums are fitted with 12" long Tel-Tru thermometers just under the grate.

sudsandswine
08-24-2020, 05:33 PM
I got a big ol 19lb brisket in the fridge you all are making me think real hard about hanging it on my drum for its maiden voyage after being painted!

rovster
08-24-2020, 07:09 PM
I got a big ol 19lb brisket in the fridge you all are making me think real hard about hanging it on my drum for its maiden voyage after being painted!

Do it! Then post pics and teach me something!

smoke ninja
08-24-2020, 07:17 PM
The flavor of a brisket on your drum will be much better than your kamado, the difference is very noticeable.

1. Yes, start fat down and flip after about 2 hours. In about 60 or 75 minutes, turn it back fat side down. In another 2 hours take a look, it might be ready to turn again. Expect to see juices pooling on the surface early in the cook. Later, when the surface is dry, spray or mop it.

https://i.imgur.com/lgkXrbk.jpg

2. No pan. You want the fat to drip into the coals. It's like little flavor bombs and what you get is very close to open pit barbecue. It's okay to spin the rack when you are turning, but since the meat is so far above the coals the convection action is working in your favor. You will notice white smoke (not sweet blue) during the cook, normally this is bad..... but it is caused by the fat, so the smoke smells wonderful.

My drums are 12 or 15 years old, and the first mod I did was make a hanging rack. And I really like it because it eliminates turning. Still spin your rack a couple of times during the cook. Smoke ninja has you covered..... double hook with the point end up, but get the second hook in the flat. Paul Kirk hangs briskets with a bacon hook (they come in several styles 3-hook, 4-hook etc.) so that is something to look at too.

https://i.imgur.com/fzFdsMq.jpg

Speaking of temps, measure the pit temp in the center of the drum. A short stem thermometer mounted in the side can be off as much as 50°. Sometimes I use a cable thermometer just above the meat, but both my drums are fitted with 12" long Tel-Tru thermometers just under the grate.

Another flipper? I was beginning to think I was the only one:clap2:

Thirdeye gives legit advice. Most of what I've learned over the years is from guys like him

Ron_L
08-24-2020, 09:39 PM
Admittedly, 90% of my briskets are cooked for competitions and trimmed heavily, but, I do flip. I separate the point and flat and start both at 300, flip after 45 minutes, then again after 45 more minutes and then wrapped once the bark color is where I want it. Once wrapped I lower the temp to 250 and cook the flat until it is probe tender. The point will go longer to render more of the fat.

Shiz-Nit
08-25-2020, 06:01 AM
Awesome my friend

thirdeye
08-25-2020, 02:23 PM
Another flipper? I was beginning to think I was the only one:clap2:

Thirdeye gives legit advice. Most of what I've learned over the years is from guys like him

Drum briskets get those characteristic stripes on the fat side. And thanks for the kind words.

SmokerKing
08-25-2020, 03:11 PM
trim fat to 1/4"
cut out hard fat under point
salt and pepper heavily
fat side down
have a diffuser with rice filled saucer on top - prevents fat dripping into fire
don't flip
run at 225 for first 2 hours
run temp to 285 rest of cook
rest for 2 hours
chow