PDA

View Full Version : Advice on short term service delay (pulled pork)

Tricky
08-20-2020, 11:52 PM
I’m cooking some butts for a feed-the-homeless event tomorrow. I had to finish the butts tonight and will be pulling them off my smoker in the next couple of hours. I need to drop off the pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow at 1pm — so I’m trying to think of the best approach for holding the meat from tonight until tomorrow.

Should I pull it all tonight and put it in gallon ziploc bags or airtight Tupperware in the fridge? Something else?

Titch
08-20-2020, 11:56 PM
Zip bags make for easy reheating in a pot of water
Good on you for doing a very nice thing

TC Smoke & Que
08-21-2020, 05:26 AM
If it is just overnight, pulled and ziplock bags will make life easier. Then, you can put it in trays and spritz with chicken stock, cover with alum foil, put in oven on low heat and then serve from the trays.

SmokeRingsMatter
08-21-2020, 06:49 AM
I did pulled pork for a party of 50 once. I smoked 6 8lb butts the day before. Pulled them all, and vacuum sealed the whole pile into one long continous bag. Used a sous vide circulator and a 120 Qt cooler. Held it till the next day at around 135F. I know they tell you not to hold food for more then 3 hours, but this was for family and the meat was already pastuerized. Nobody got sick, and the pulled pork was just as moist and tender if not better then when i pulled it because the juices had time to meld together.

SirPorkaLot
08-21-2020, 07:30 AM
If it is just overnight, pulled and ziplock bags will make life easier. Then, you can put it in trays and spritz with chicken stock, cover with alum foil, put in oven on low heat and then serve from the trays.

Sous vide is definitely the answer.

I also catered a family reunion meal with 65 people by a smoking pork butts in California freezing them and serving them a week later in Georgia.

Tasted like they were freshly smoked

pokeable
08-21-2020, 07:52 AM
what temp would you guys use on the sous vide to reheat? back up to 205? Or lower at 140?

Titch
08-21-2020, 04:53 PM
what temp would you guys use on the sous vide to reheat? back up to 205? Or lower at 140?

I would go 140 (60c ) about hot coffee temp
Your heating it not cooking it, Thats how we do it

SmokeRingsMatter
08-21-2020, 05:28 PM
Sous vide is definitely the answer.

I also catered a family reunion meal with 65 people by a smoking pork butts in California freezing them and serving them a week later in Georgia.

Tasted like they were freshly smoked

So, did you quote the wrong person by mistake?

SirPorkaLot
08-21-2020, 05:39 PM
So, did you quote the wrong person by mistake?

Probably....
I’m damn near a Luddite.
Surprised I can even log on