PDA

View Full Version : Insulated Firebox

Limp Brisket
08-20-2020, 07:12 PM
Is an insulated firebox on a stick burner worth it? I’ve owned several big Langs and none of them had it. I don’t live in a cold climate but I’ve read that an insulated box cuts down on the wood consumption. Looking for real world experience. I don’t have young kids that could burn themselves etc., I’m asking 100% from a performance/efficiency standpoint.

pjtexas1
08-20-2020, 08:40 PM
I loved my insulated shirley fb. To me it was about looking better longer and less maintenance. It does use less wood but I wouldn't know how to measure the difference. It helps resale value too. I'd get an insulated fb again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dummy que
08-20-2020, 09:57 PM
I halve a LANG60 ORG. i halve lined the top of the firebox with 2.5in firebrick the inside of the firebox and the tunnel under the searplate with 1.25in firebrick (I would show pic.`s but above my skillset) it seems to steady the heat out i can`t say i get better fuel mialage as i halve copied LSgrills fire mang. system i`ve done several long cooks this way and getting 45min. out of a split vers. 25 to 30min. before

Lomey
08-20-2020, 11:26 PM
I got an insulated firebox on my new custom built smoker for reasons stated above. Keeping the smoker looking better longer, lasting longer and easier maintenance. It maintains whatever temp I want it to run at without much effort. I couldn't speak on how much wood it saves me. It does take a hell of a lot less than my old COS, but that's not really comparing apples to apples if you know what I mean. Another big reason is we have really cold winters in Kansas City and it should help. I'm looking forward to being able to smoke in the winter without fighting it constantly. I think it's worth the money even if you need to save a little longer to get the upgrade.

pokeable
08-21-2020, 11:42 AM
Interesting side by side comparison on youtube I found: Yoder 30 x 72 with insulated FB v Horizon 30 x 60 with an uninsulated box. Cooking a rack of ribs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjhi8ObEzmk)

This guy and his wife liked the uninsulated product better. The producer of the video said the wood savings was negligible. Also said the insulated box still got really hot so felt the safety aspects were also negligible.

This topic interests me; I'm thinking of getting an offset but was hellbent on an insulated firebox. Maybe it's not worth the $600-$800 to upgrade? At the minimum, think I may upgrade to a 1/2" box so it lasts longer, though.

NYC 'Que
08-21-2020, 12:13 PM
I’d get a 1/2 firebox for longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Swine Spectator
08-21-2020, 12:25 PM
I had a Klose 20 x 48 with a 1/2" firebox. Now I have a Shirley 24 x 60 with an insulated firebox. I can't quantify it for you, but it sure "feels" like I am using much less wood. I can tell you that the Klose gave off a ton of radiant heat. My Infrared thermometer would read 700+. With the Shirley I am getting an external temp around 225 - 250. I assume that the heat is being directed to cooking.

I know that the insulated is an expensive option, but I am happy that I got it.

pokeable
08-21-2020, 12:36 PM
I can tell you that the Klose gave off a ton of radiant heat. My Infrared thermometer would read 700+. With the Shirley I am getting an external temp around 225 - 250. I assume that the heat is being directed to cooking.

I know that the insulated is an expensive option, but I am happy that I got it.

woof. That's a huge difference; like instant 2nd degree burns for a clutz like me.

pjtexas1
08-21-2020, 12:50 PM
woof. That's a huge difference; like instant 2nd degree burns for a clutz like me.Insulated fb is still hot but not emergency room hot. The only part of a fb that might wear out would be the bottom where ash accumulates. If you get an ash pan it will help. Or get the bottom plate made out of 1/2". Also the fb door is still gonna be hotter than [emoji90]. Most don't insulate the door and even if it's insulated the intake is still absorbing heat from the fire.

BBQ Freak
08-21-2020, 07:25 PM
I have had the insulated and think it is very overrated and now have a 1/2" and can not tell any difference in the usage of wood at all . Insulted will save the paint a little longer but Tyler Shirley talked me into the 1/2" firebox on my currant smoker and he was right and love it .

pjtexas1
08-21-2020, 07:48 PM
I have had the insulated and think it is very overrated and now have a 1/2" and can not tell any difference in the usage of wood at all . Insulted will save the paint a little longer but Tyler Shirley talked me into the 1/2" firebox on my currant smoker and he was right and love it .Do me a favor. If you have a temp gun tell us what the temp is on the outside of the fb on your next cook. I'd be interested in knowing how it compares to the 1/4".

BBQ Freak
08-21-2020, 09:29 PM
Do me a favor. If you have a temp gun tell us what the temp is on the outside of the fb on your next cook. I'd be interested in knowing how it compares to the 1/4".

If I had one I would do it on my smoker but would need to be a pacific temp your running too right ? but might not understand because I am a little slow or a couple beers in , lol . :laugh::laugh::thumb:

pjtexas1
08-21-2020, 09:45 PM
If I had one I would do it on my smoker but would need to be a pacific temp your running too right ? but might not understand because I am a little slow or a couple beers in , lol . [emoji23][emoji23]:thumb:

That's funny right there! Yeah. Would like to see fb temp at 300. But that's ok. Have a couple more beers it's Friday!

Sid Post
08-22-2020, 04:16 AM
Interesting side by side comparison on youtube I found: Yoder 30 x 72 with insulated FB v Horizon 30 x 60 with an uninsulated box. Cooking a rack of ribs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjhi8ObEzmk)

This guy and his wife liked the uninsulated product better. The producer of the video said the wood savings was negligible. Also said the insulated box still got really hot so felt the safety aspects were also negligible. ...

First, a huge smoker like these probably aren't the best comparison for a backyard smoker. Secondly, liking one firebox's 'product' better is likely a fire management issue more than anything else and this discounts comparing two different makes of smokers.

Lastly, if your insulated firebox gets hot (whatever that means), is it really insualted very well? Warm, sure. Hot? :mmph:

Sid Post
08-22-2020, 04:37 AM
3/8ths or 1/2 inch fireboxes will take longer to heat soak (thermal capacity) but, they will eventually heat soak to a high temperature if you cook long enough. For most of us, a 3/8ths or 1/2 inch firebox will work out fine for our cooks. If I was a hard core competition smoker or running a semi-commercial unit, then a semi-insulated firebox starts to make more sense to me.

Regarding kids and burns in general, even with an insulated firebox, the first and main problem is user error! Having a bit extra in terms of safety though is a generally a good idea in most applications though because no one is perfect.

Today, I think there is a strong argument for 1/2 inch fireboxes for backyard smokers. However, if I ever do a trailer mounted propane tank smoker, I'd be hard pressed to not do a semi-insulated firebox with a larger propane tank section covering a smaller one.

mschwirian
08-22-2020, 04:41 AM
I had a Jambo Backyard with the insulated firebox, now I have a Shirley without. No measurable difference in fuel consumption or temp maintenance. The only real difference is the radiant heat off the firebox. The Shirley will burn you if you're not careful, the Jambo won't. The firebox paint will hold up better on the Jambo but the Shirley will be fine if you take care of it.