PDA

View Full Version : MSG In Rubs

mcyork28
08-18-2020, 09:30 AM
Just curious how many people are concerned with MSG in Rubs. Does it affect your buying decisions?

It doesn't bother me if a rub contains MSG.

PullinPork
08-18-2020, 09:34 AM
Doesn’t bother me, but I mostly use Oakridge, which doesn’t have MSG.
I think my Yardbird and Killer Hogs do have MSG.

4ever3
08-18-2020, 09:38 AM
It never enters my mind, but sugar on the other hand does...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/z4kx54/once-and-for-all-msg-is-fine-for-you

Curt.P
08-18-2020, 10:15 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/z4kx54/once-and-for-all-msg-is-fine-for-you
This all day long and twice on Tuesday. I add MSG in many of my cooks with either Ac'cent or TryMe Tiger seasoning.

jzadski
08-18-2020, 12:03 PM
MSG doesn't concern me. From what I heard and read from people much smarter than myself is that is bascially all hype. Some doctor had suggested with no real data that MSG could be bad. There have been since double blind studies which refute those claims. Just like sodium, if you have high blood pressure you may want to watch your intake.

Mike in Roseville
08-18-2020, 12:07 PM
Doesn't bother me at all.

PnkPanther
08-18-2020, 12:13 PM
Harry Soo has talked about MSG and flawed history.

I don't worry about it, and have even considered buying bottle accent to use.

Bacchus2b
08-18-2020, 12:15 PM
MSG is a natural substance that got a bad rap in 80's for "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome". Same time frame people were saying Shrimp was bad for you because of Cholesterol, then they discovered that there was "good" cholesterol and "bad" cholesterol and Shrimp was good for you again!

I like MSG, it adds a depth of flavor unlike anything else. Try making two of the same simple soups or broths side-by-side, one with MSG and one without MSG and taste the difference.

Kanco Connection
08-18-2020, 12:17 PM
I don't worry about it. I lean more towards Seinfeld's Kramer preference on MSG.

Maverickjct
08-18-2020, 12:21 PM
More concerned w/excess salt.

Swine Spectator
08-18-2020, 12:23 PM
I use MSG, but substract an equal amount of salt when I use it.

robertm
08-18-2020, 12:29 PM
MSG tastes good plain and simple. Just like most other things, used in moderation is perfectly fine.

kevinstaggs
08-18-2020, 12:55 PM
I consider salt and sugar based on my intentions for the rub. Never MSG.

Curt.P
08-18-2020, 03:11 PM
MSG doesn't concern me. From what I heard and read from people much smarter than myself is that is bascially all hype. Some doctor had suggested with no real data that MSG could be bad. There have been since double blind studies which refute those claims. Just like sodium, if you have high blood pressure you may want to watch your intake.
Kind of an odd reference considering that isn't based on facts either. Studies are showing that low sodium diets can increase the risk for heart disease.

Pife
08-18-2020, 03:33 PM
I've know a guy who swears MSG gives him headaches and he can tell if MSG is in the food.

I call BS..but is it possible?

1MoreFord
08-18-2020, 04:30 PM
MSG is hiding in so many things it's a non-issue for the vast number of people. Like others above I find the insidious use of sugar to be of more concern.

mike243
08-18-2020, 04:38 PM
It affects my wife so nothing here with it in it, everybody's different in what they can handle, some can some cant, hard to convict anybody over it, grand daughter has issues with onions , breaks out if she eats stuff with them in it.

Czarbecue
08-18-2020, 05:55 PM
I add MSG to my dubs for kicks.

SmokyDick
08-18-2020, 09:20 PM
I've know a guy who swears MSG gives him headaches and he can tell if MSG is in the food.

Some people are sensitive to MSG. It could be true or it could be in his head. Cook him something and tell him there's no MSG but add some and see if he gets a headache.

16Adams
08-18-2020, 09:56 PM
I try to avoid it. My wife is almost 100% avoidance. This article explains. I’ll check my rubs tomorrow. Probably have some. Not sure

https://www.dralexjimenez.com/functional-neurology-msg-and-neurological-diseases/

Mike in Roseville
08-18-2020, 09:57 PM
I use MSG, but substract an equal amount of salt when I use it.

^^This^^

4ever3
08-19-2020, 05:52 AM
Kind of an odd reference considering that isn't based on facts either. Studies are showing that low sodium diets can increase the risk for heart disease.

Oh you went there!

Sure, people are allergic to all sorts of things.

ModelMaker
08-19-2020, 07:15 AM
As a young first time worker at Henrys drive in we used grill salt for the burgers which we mixed in house and each burger got a shake. It was simply salt , pepper , and MSG.
Ed

Smokin Dawg77
08-19-2020, 10:10 AM
Zero concern

Qkooker
08-19-2020, 10:30 AM
I'm not knocking anyone who uses MSG, but if you notice many longtime spices now give you a choice or do not include MSG for some reason. There is no doubt MSG enhances the taste of anything. I try and not use MSG in anything if possible. I've read enough studies on this and can tell by my thirst level after eating fast food and at most restaurants, it has some type of effect. I also cook and smoke most all natural meats as well.

LloydQ
08-19-2020, 12:01 PM
Some people are sensitive to MSG. It could be true or it could be in his head. Cook him something and tell him there's no MSG but add some and see if he gets a headache.

That would be a jerk thing to do.

Burnt at Both Endz
08-19-2020, 06:08 PM
I mix it into my rubs and brisket wrap. Try to tell any new folks that it was added in case there is someone that is concerned about it!

LongTong
08-19-2020, 06:19 PM
My docs says it's a good flavor enhancer so one doesn't have to use too much salt. I add it my rub recipes frequently...

1MoreFord
08-19-2020, 06:42 PM
For all of ya who avoid MSG. Do you know all the names it goes by?????????????

There are so many names MSG hides by and in I bet none of you go a day without a good deal of MSG.

Here's a list of what you'll really have to avoid.

https://www.glutathionediseasecure.com/other-names-for-MSG.html

Jorge
08-25-2020, 08:12 AM
Doesn’t bother me, but I mostly use Oakridge, which doesn’t have MSG.
I think my Yardbird and Killer Hogs do have MSG.

Unless something has changed or your Yardbird is really, really, really old it does not have MSG. Todd took it out years ago.

SirPorkaLot
08-25-2020, 08:27 AM
If you need MSG to enhance the flavor of your rubs...
Maybe you need a different rub.

onemanlan
08-25-2020, 10:10 AM
Monosodium glutamate(MSG) is completely fine. It's a combination of 2 common components of human metabolism. One part glutamate, an amino acid, and one part sodium that makes a salt. Both of those are handled easily in metabolism. Glutamate is a neurotransmitter as well as being a major player in energy metabolism. Na+ plays a major part in excitation of membrane surfaces as well as in regulating blood viscosity.

It doesn't bother me. It got a bad rap from restaurants using it to cover up bad quality or decaying food. Otherwise its fine. As others have said if you make a rub with it subtract some salt from the rub.

kcmike
08-29-2020, 01:29 PM
I feel like I need to chip in on this one, from a manufacturer's perspective.
However, I probably should level-set first.

Oakridge BBQ is not like most other manufacturers. I put the utmost emphasis on spice quality, freshness, and volatile oil content in all of the ingredients we source. Most others do not, or at least not near the level I do. But, I'm also not a co-packer manufacturing hundreds of brands who has to first make a manufacturing profit and then be able to market their products to brand owners at a price which will allow the brand owners to still make a wholesale profit as their products move further up-chain to distributors, dealers and ultimately to the end consumer. The sheer economics of it do not allow rubs made by co-packers to contain nearly the same quality of spices we use. If they did, you wouldn't be able to afford it once it made it to the store shelf. This is because higher volatile oil content equals higher acquisition price, and high volume purchasing doesn't make the acquisition price go down because of the relative scarcity of these HVL ingredients in the market. Being made in our own production facility allows Oakridge BBQ to cut out the middle man and apply that extra margin directly toward consistently purchasing the very best spices available.

So, it is for this reason I view MSG the way I do. In the context of commercial spice blending/manufacturing, I see the use of MSG (or any of the other industrially manufactured derivatives) as an unnecessary crutch. Simply put, if higher quality ingredients are used, MSG really isn't necessary.

Additionally, while MSG does contribute to the Umami of a rub's flavor characteristics, it does not contribute any additional unique flavors of its own. Conversley, if one were to use say, Shiitake mushroom powder for example, it not only contributes a low-level natural source of mono-sodium glutamate, it also contributes a significant punch of its own unique flavor as well. But, mushroom powders are expensive and difficult to work with, and industrial ingredients such as MSG are incredibly cheap and easy. So, in order to keep margins in check, commercial co-packers use straight MSG instead.

Finally, while the health effects of MSG are often contested and mostly unsettled science; as a manufacturer, I chose to err on the side of caution. It is impossible for a customer to remove MSG if they don't want it, and incredibly easy for them to add it if they do. So, without it we increase our product's appeal to a wider audience of potential customers. Also, while MSG is a naturally occurring compound, the commercially available pure MSG products are technically industrial ingredients -- industrially synthesized and/or manufactured to a purity and concentration thousands of times higher than what is naturally occurring in the foods that contain them. Similar to the relationship between poppy seeds and cocaine... And, as a matter of principle and pride of workmanship in the products we produce, I have always been staunchly opposed to the use of any industrial ingredients in our products. This is why you will never find MSG, phosphates, silicates, oleoresins, yeast extracts, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, or any additives that fall under the "natural color" or "natural flavor" adjunct categories in any Oakridge BBQ rub or brine.

:thumb: :thumb:

PullinPork
08-29-2020, 02:39 PM
Unless something has changed or your Yardbird is really, really, really old it does not have MSG. Todd took it out years ago.

I stand corrected on the Yardbird.

JWFokker
08-29-2020, 07:02 PM

Pretty doubtful. Glutamate is naturally occurring in many foods.

Qkooker
08-29-2020, 07:32 PM
Thanks KCMike. Very good information.