PDA

View Full Version : Help pork belly first timer

Burnbern
08-13-2020, 07:57 PM
Hi need some help for this weekend. My wife wants pork belly smoked on the GF this weekend. But I have never done one yet. How do I go about it. Do I take the skin off or can I just slice the skin in criss cross fashion and put salt on to help crisp the skin or is it a waste of time trying to crisp the skin.

I’m going to use one of Jeff’s rubs for the pork as I don’t have any store bought from USA rubs.
What temp should the GF be and what temp should I cook the pork belly to. Any help would be appreciated.

Cookb4
08-13-2020, 08:46 PM
I take the skin off. I prefer to cut my pork belly into roughly 1.5 inch cubes, (with all the fat it cooks down to a nice sized burnt end.) Not only does it cook faster, but there is more surface area for the rub and smoke. I generally set my smoker between 275 and 300 degrees. I pull them off the smoker when the belly is around 205 degrees and the belly is probe tender

RandyNight
08-13-2020, 10:01 PM
I have sliced in 1.5" strips, sliced off the skin, then cut in 1.5" cubes.
Howtobbqright.com has instructions I followed.

darita
08-14-2020, 08:32 AM
I've done mine in strips, skin off. Whatever temp you use, just make sure to go till the fat is fully rendered and nice and clear. It will melt like butter in your mouth. Enjoy!

halfcocked
08-14-2020, 04:04 PM
Hope you are not contemplating eating the skin with the ends unless you have steel jaws and don't mind breaking a few teeth in the process of mastication.:laugh:

HouseDoc
08-14-2020, 06:48 PM
I have sliced in 1.5" strips, sliced off the skin, then cut in 1.5" cubes.
Howtobbqright.com has instructions I followed.

+1
Enjoy

CrabbyAppleton
08-14-2020, 10:01 PM
I have not tried this YET. But, I do have a pork belly in the freezer and this looks like a good way to use it.

I have watched it a bunch of times and this sandwich looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UwN03vrLJU&t=398s

SmokeRingsMatter
08-14-2020, 10:23 PM
Hope you are not contemplating eating the skin with the ends unless you have steel jaws and don't mind breaking a few teeth in the process of mastication.:laugh:

Would make some excellent Cracklin's if deep fried after the initial cook. Not sure i would waste pork belly for cracklin's at the price it goes round here doe.