PDA

View Full Version : Questions about rendering beef fat.

Fayborg
08-08-2020, 12:57 PM
I looked at several postings by others but were a few years old. Was wondering what others are doing now. It seems most add some water and use a crock pot or pot on stove and render down.

I have left over brisket fat that I would like to render down.
Some of my questions.

Does everyone use some amount of water to start with?
Is low or simmer best on stove?
If using the crock, is low the setting to use?
Do you strain the rendering? I keep bacon grease straight from the pan in the fridge unstrained.

What all do you use the fat for?
Any one add fresh garlic to the rendering to wipe on steaks?

Thanks and welcome any additional advice.

LYU370
08-08-2020, 01:23 PM
I rendered some down a few months ago. Cut up into real small pieces and onto the stove top on low, occasional stir, think it took about 5-6 hours if I recall. When it was done, just strained out the pieces of meat and whatever fat didn't completely render. Haven't used it yet, keep forgetting about it sitting in the back of the fridge.

robertm
08-08-2020, 01:40 PM
Run through grinder. Put in metal pot and cook medium to medium high heat. Will cook off all the water and when beef bits start to get crispy kind of like bacon it’s done. Pour through strainer. Takes about 20-25 min. Don’t cook so long bits burn or flavor won’t be good. Enjoy!

rovster
08-08-2020, 02:49 PM
I cut into small pieces then freeze. Then either grind or put in food processor. Cook on low to medium low until all the bits are brown and they stop bubbling/sizzling/rendering. Strain and store. That simple!

IamMadMan
08-09-2020, 06:53 AM
Use a crock-pot with salted water set on low as well, strain the rendered fat through cheese-cloth. Then refrigerate to remove any possible water residue (fat will solidify and water will remain liquid on the bottom). Remove solid, fat wipe dry, scrape off any discolored areas on the bottom.

I repeat the above process a second time, using the solid tallow and more salted water. I know it's extra work, but it removes additional impurities and will last longer. Use a double boiler to gently melt into pint jars for covered storage. Always plenty to share.

Make awesome french fries, use to cook anything, even to baste cheaper cuts of meat that don't have a lot of fat.

My wife uses it for the hard fat required when making soap.

rovster
08-09-2020, 08:24 AM
What does the water do? Interesting I’ve only ever just cooked down the fat in a pot or pan. Is that the “proper” way of doing it?

halfcocked
08-09-2020, 09:08 AM
What does the water do? Interesting I’ve only ever just cooked down the fat in a pot or pan. Is that the “proper” way of doing it?
Never rendered beef fat but duck and pork, many times. The water takes the hassle out of burning or charring the product before it gets a chance to render enough fat to continue the cooking on low heat on its own. The water evaporates and rendered fat takes its place. I only use enough water to get the process started.

Swine Spectator
08-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Freeze, cut into small pieces (1/4" dice). The put in a covered cast iron pot in a low oven (200° - 225°) for a couple of hours.