PDA

View Full Version : Dang Rain...

JEStucker
07-31-2020, 08:59 AM
Had thawed out some skirt steak for fajitas last night, planned on caveman cooking it on the Weber (nice bed of coals, steak layed right on top.)

Had been raining off and on all day, but was barely a misty sprinkle as I loaded the chimney. I lit the paper under the chimney and went about my vegetable prep in the kitchen, kinda watching the chimney through the backdoor... was seeing flame starting to lick out the top, so "cool, coals have caught" - then was the big lightning flash, the loud thunder boom, and the skies opened up... and the rain successfully drowned my chimney and completely snuffed it.

Skirt Steak in the oven under the broiler wasn't quite the same... still came out great... but dangit, I wanted to grill...

I seriously need a roof over my back porch, but I live in a townhouse, and it's kind of against the rules to build anything like that... I should have pulled the top grate out of the UDS and lit the chimney inside it and I could have put the lid on the UDS, but... hindsight...

Oh, and somewhere in the last day or two I became a Full Fledged Farker...

TC Smoke & Que
07-31-2020, 09:22 AM
Congrats on the milestone!!!

What would they say about a pop up?

JEStucker
07-31-2020, 09:38 AM
Congrats on the milestone!!!

What would they say about a pop up?

Thank you!
I'm not sure, problem sorta become the space itself. I have an approximately 32" x 72" concrete slab for my "patio" - I'm getting ready to buy a bunch of 12"x12" pavers to sort of expand the area so I'm not in the grass (and it's something non-permanent) - but you go about 2-3' further than the concrete and it's about a 40 degree slope down to a fence line. (I'll see if I can add some pictures later once I'm home from the office) I don't have much of a yard to work with and between the AC unit beside the concrete, the UDS and the Weber on the concrete, space is at a premium. One of my neighbors that I get along with really well is on the board, so maybe I'll just ask him about the pop-up cover out back... weekend projects... never end it seems.