PDA

View Full Version : Controversy Over What's Safe & What’s Not Safe Nonstick Coatings

Chett. L
07-22-2020, 04:44 PM
To me there’s so much controversy over what is safe and what’s not safe regarding nonstick coatings. We have a hodgepodge collection of multiple different types of pots and pans and find it difficult to know the difference between one from another as far as safe and not safe, Teflon coatings flaking off and going in food etc.. We have 1 large Lodge pan that is-cast-iron, I know some companies make cast iron with nonstick coatings too. What’s the story about aluminum pans etc.? When did coated pans become safe?, Most manufacturers of nonstick pans have phased out the use of perfluorooctanoic acid or PFOA, which is a suspected carcinogen. Lots to know about here, anyways the natural instinct to protect the kids & family is good to know about too with cooking on these various products.

Fire and Ice
07-22-2020, 04:54 PM
Honestly, I don't give that any thought. I have one small one that I use occasionally. Everything else is Lodge cast iron and stainless steel.

Descartian
07-22-2020, 05:18 PM
Cooking or eating food cooked with exposed aluminum long term Has been linked to Alzheimer’s.

Mike in Roseville
07-22-2020, 05:45 PM
First, PFOA's are everywhere. In everything. Including us. So don't lose too much sleep over it.

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/forever-chemicals-called-pfas-show-your-food-clothes-and-home

When it comes to pans, we've always cooked at home a bunch. I had a couple of non-stick pans that I used every single day. Some of them I actually wore out. After this happened a few times, I decided to ditch all of the non-stick (health wasn't the main concern...but even with light scrubbing every day they'd start sticking in about 12-18 months and need replacement). Call me cheap, but I saw cookware as an investment. Buy once, cry once. I have some Lodge, but 95% everything I use is All-Clad stainless now. There is a little learning curve with SS, but now I don't even think about it.

Chett. L
07-22-2020, 05:51 PM
Cooking or eating food cooked with exposed aluminum long term Has been linked to Alzheimer’s.

That's good to know. Is this what most restaurants use?

Thank you.

Chett. L
07-22-2020, 05:52 PM
First, PFOA's are everywhere. In everything. Including us. So don't lose too much sleep over it.

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/forever-chemicals-called-pfas-show-your-food-clothes-and-home

When it comes to pans, we've always cooked at home a bunch. I had a couple of non-stick pans that I used every single day. Some of them I actually wore out. After this happened a few times, I decided to ditch all of the non-stick (health wasn't the main concern...but even with light scrubbing every day they'd start sticking in about 12-18 months and need replacement). Call me cheap, but I saw cookware as an investment. Buy once, cry once. I have some Lodge, but 95% everything I use is All-Clad stainless now. There is a little learning curve with SS, but now I don't even think about it.

Hi Mike,

Good to know. What's the learning curve with SS.

Thank you.

mike243
07-22-2020, 05:53 PM
White vinegar poured into stainless then warmed till evaporated will help make them none stick for awhile , I dont do any high heat frying in any coated pan, cast iron or stainless only, that said I do have a few sets of coated that I use to sauté or low temp cook or heat caned vegetables , Curtis Stone is the brand name.

Chett. L
07-22-2020, 06:00 PM
White vinegar poured into stainless then warmed till evaporated will help make them none stick for awhile , I dont do any high heat frying in any coated pan, cast iron or stainless only, that said I do have a few sets of coated that I use to sauté or low temp cook or heat caned vegetables , Curtis Stone is the brand name.

Thanks for explaining.

Mike in Roseville
07-22-2020, 06:11 PM
Hi Mike,

Good to know. What's the learning curve with SS.

Thank you.

Chett,

It has to do with quantity/temp/type of oil and the food sticking.

This might help a little...

https://www.scienceofcooking.com/why_food_sticks.htm

Olive, avocado, and canola is what I keep on hand all the time. For quick things like eggs a vegetable spray works just fine. If you get canola too hot it will start to brown/burn and leave a funny taste.

LooseGoose
07-22-2020, 06:31 PM
I try to cook everything on I can on a stick over an open fire, I feel safest then.

SmokinAussie
07-22-2020, 06:33 PM
I just use three things.

Cast Iron, Stainless Steel and Enameled CI.

Non stick does not last anyway and if you are a decent cook and can control a flame you simply never need the non-stick for anything.

jzadski
07-22-2020, 07:33 PM
Hey Chet, ok the family just went through this. We got a parrot and if exposed to PTFE / Teflon they can die within days if not minutes. Their lungs are much more senstive. We have a cape cod with a great room so we really had to be careful. After much research we went with Green Pan. (2 venlencia fry pans, 1 midnight square griddle and 1 homestead chicken fry/sautee pan) WOW we love them. Just follow recomendations from Green Pan. You don't need to take the heat past medium and we always wash any of our pans by hand. Hope this helps

Chett. L
07-22-2020, 07:46 PM
Hey Chet, ok the family just went through this. We got a parrot and if exposed to PTFE / Teflon they can die within days if not minutes. Their lungs are much more senstive. We have a cape cod with a great room so we really had to be careful. After much research we went with Green Pan. (2 venlencia fry pans, 1 midnight square griddle and 1 homestead chicken fry/sautee pan) WOW we love them. Just follow recomendations from Green Pan. You don't need to take the heat past medium and we always wash any of our pans by hand. Hope this helps

Hi Joe,

Just wondering..... Is this the company your referring to?

Thank you.

Chett. L
07-22-2020, 07:46 PM
I just use three things.

Cast Iron, Stainless Steel and Enameled CI.

Non stick does not last anyway and if you are a decent cook and can control a flame you simply never need the non-stick for anything.

Thank you.

Chett. L
07-22-2020, 07:47 PM
Chett,

It has to do with quantity/temp/type of oil and the food sticking.

This might help a little...

https://www.scienceofcooking.com/why_food_sticks.htm

Olive, avocado, and canola is what I keep on hand all the time. For quick things like eggs a vegetable spray works just fine. If you get canola too hot it will start to brown/burn and leave a funny taste.

Thank you.

chrischandler71
07-22-2020, 08:34 PM
I have been looking to buy a carbon steel pan from made-in. I currently have cast iron, stainless clad, and a couple non stick pans for eggs

Chett. L
07-22-2020, 08:51 PM
I have been looking to buy a carbon steel pan from made-in. I currently have cast iron, stainless clad, and a couple non stick pans for eggs

Thank you.

Descartian
07-22-2020, 09:27 PM

Thank you.

Because of cost, yes.

Chett. L
07-22-2020, 09:32 PM
Because of cost, yes.

I did not know that. Thank you.

windrunner
07-22-2020, 09:45 PM
Aluminumm and Alzheimer's link is not proven:

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/what-is-alzheimers/myths

https://alzheimer.ca/en/Home/About-dementia/Alzheimer-s-disease/Risk-factors/Aluminum

Inthewoods
07-22-2020, 10:18 PM
Ya can defend yer home with cast iron...

-D

Chett. L
07-23-2020, 12:33 AM
Ya can defend yer home with cast iron...

-D

That's Funny!:thumb::clap2:

jzadski
07-23-2020, 01:59 PM
Hi Joe,

Just wondering..... Is this the company your referring to?

Thank you.

Hey Chet ,

Green Pan is the company. In ( ) are the models of Green Pan.

JD08
07-23-2020, 02:40 PM

I'm curious to see how long your surface holds up. I've had a couple for over a year now and one has started to be a lot less non-stick.

I've got my eye on a Matfer carbon steel pan in the near future.

food4thot
07-23-2020, 05:21 PM

Thank you.Started a similar thread couple weeks ago. Some good info in there

Recommend good nonstick skillets (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283546)

Still researching but believe most restaurants use carbon steel, not aluminum.

Though care of carbon steel is similar to cast iron, it strikes me as less of a PITA from what I've read. A little bit lighter than CI.

Got a 12" Lodge carbon steel pre-seasoned skillet from Amazon few days ago but haven't tried it out yet. The texture of it is coarser than I expected and doesn't seem conducive to nonstick cooking. Will give it a try one of these days. Maybe it needs a few bacon cooks to smooth out.

Chett. L
07-23-2020, 05:25 PM
Started a similar thread couple weeks ago. Some good info in there

Recommend good nonstick skillets (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283546)

Still researching but believe most restaurants use carbon steel, not aluminum.

Though care of carbon steel is similar to cast iron, it strikes me as less of a PITA from what I've read. A little bit lighter than CI.

Got a 12" Lodge carbon steel pre-seasoned skillet from Amazon few days ago but haven't tried it out yet. The texture of it is coarser than I expected and doesn't seem conducive to nonstick cooking. Will give it a try one of these days. Maybe it needs a few bacon cooks to smooth out.

Hi Erik,

Thank you for your information.

Chett. L
07-23-2020, 05:36 PM
Hey Chet ,

Green Pan is the company. In ( ) are the models of Green Pan.

Hi Joe,

Thank you.

Chett. L
07-23-2020, 05:43 PM
I'm curious to see how long your surface holds up. I've had a couple for over a year now and one has started to be a lot less non-stick.

I've got my eye on a Matfer carbon steel pan in the near future.

This pan seems like a winner. I would just have to be watch for rust, since I at the beach.

jzadski
07-23-2020, 06:29 PM
I am a huge proponent of Americas Test Kitchen. What they recommend above all in a nonstick pan is don't spend over like $50 because no matter what you get they don't last terribley long. So after a year yes I can see some of the slickness waining.

JQMack
07-24-2020, 08:52 AM
I've been a public health scientist long enough to have been through debates on teflon, PFOA and other chemical concerns, and will just say a couple of things. Everything in moderation - based on what I know I am comfortable using a non-stick for certain things.

But it's always unnerving to see the non-stick coating start to disappear, cause you know where it's going.

for the most part I use stainless and cast iron. Once you develop your technique (i use canola spray when needed) they are wonderful and durable. And it's nice to be able to scrub, scrape, etc., when technique fails. Lol.

Chett. L
07-24-2020, 11:12 AM
I've been a public health scientist long enough to have been through debates on teflon, PFOA and other chemical concerns, and will just say a couple of things. Everything in moderation - based on what I know I am comfortable using a non-stick for certain things.

But it's always unnerving to see the non-stick coating start to disappear, cause you know where it's going.

for the most part I use stainless and cast iron. Once you develop your technique (i use canola spray when needed) they are wonderful and durable. And it's nice to be able to scrub, scrape, etc., when technique fails. Lol.

Hi Jamie,

Thank you very much for your information here.