PDA

View Full Version : Got a few cooks on the new LSG under my belt.

Playtoannoy
07-22-2020, 09:38 AM
I still have a ton of room for improvement, but so far, I’m loving my new pit.

I’ve had a few hiccups, but it seems to be running really smooth so far. Been firing it up nearly everyday now. Mostly been doing a lot of wings and steaks.

I think next up is going to be ribs.

Garyclaw
07-22-2020, 09:48 AM
Looks like you got the feel of that cooker. Great looking food! What model do you have ?

Playtoannoy
07-22-2020, 10:47 AM
Looks like you got the feel of that cooker. Great looking food! What model do you have ?

I have a 24x60

Greygoose
07-22-2020, 11:01 AM
Ur developing the golden touch !!!!

WhitesideJC
07-22-2020, 11:04 AM
I still have a ton of room for improvement, but so far, I’m loving my new pit.

I’ve had a few hiccups, but it seems to be running really smooth so far. Been firing it up nearly everyday now. Mostly been doing a lot of wings and steaks.

I think next up is going to be ribs.

Your cooks look great! I just had my Shirley arrive this week, and I'm planning to season on Friday + do a few cooks this weekend. It's going to be a big step up from my cinder block pit...

I'm curious about the "hiccups" you referenced - any chance you could elaborate for my selfish interest in learning?

Playtoannoy
07-22-2020, 12:04 PM
Well aside from dripping Pam all over my pavers..... They sell those grill mats, but I wasn’t able to find one for a pit of my size. So I went to Home Depot and bought an $18 4’x6’ piece of AstroTurf to park my pit on unless it’s on the lawn. I sure pissed her off. I sprayed down the pit and ran it for about 6 hrs and the pam was dripping everywhere.

My other problems were mostly regarding fire, temp and airflow. I was playing around with the damper and opening and closing stuff a lot when seasoning trying to get a feel for how it reacts to those things. Now I’ve been running it with the intake wide open. They say to choke it down a bit to keep temp from climbing, but then my temps weren’t even side to side. Once I opened the intake up all the way again the pit drafted better and things evened back out plus I had a cleaner burning smoke. I feel it’s better to control temp with fuel rather than air, but I may be wrong because I’m new to offset cooking. But so far it’s been working for me and my cooks have been better with everything open.

I’ve also been cooking hot and fast, so I felt that the fire management basket has held me back because it’s better suited for a smaller fire. It’s great for low and slow I think, and it helps if you get distracted and let your fire get too low, but the size really prevents you from building a big fire to get to mid 300’s.

JVM59
07-22-2020, 12:23 PM
I believe you are absolutely correct in allowing the size of the fire to determine the cooking temp. This allows you to have a clean burning fire, which you have already figured out.
Congrats on the new cooker, it's a beauty!

fwdiii
07-22-2020, 12:56 PM
Some great looking steaks and wings!!! Congrats on your new pit!!!!

txsmkmstr
07-22-2020, 03:49 PM
I feel it’s better to control temp with fuel rather than air, ........
This is spot on advice for all cookers - at least at the start. You'll find that ambient temps play a large part too. Your fire size this winter will look a little different. :thumb:

Chett. L
07-22-2020, 09:40 PM
Looks nice to me. Great grill marks!

Thanks for posting.

cowgirl
07-22-2020, 10:37 PM
Nice!

LordRiffenstein
07-23-2020, 08:33 AM
I was waiting for a thread on your 1st cooks.
Looks like you already got the hang of it, great looking food!

Playtoannoy
07-23-2020, 08:54 AM
I was waiting for a thread on your 1st cooks.
Looks like you already got the hang of it, great looking food!

I’m so thrilled with this thing, I’ve been finding an excuse to cook anything almost daily. Today we are firing up the ooni karu for family pizza night, so the LSG will take a break.