PDA

View Full Version : Three Times a Charm On The Little Pellet Smoker

Chett. L
07-19-2020, 01:29 PM
With the help and advise from many great people here, I cooked my 3rd rib eye steak on the pellet smoker. Only complaint, too much seasoning. I need learn how to back off on the rub.
I like the R Butts Smokin Seasonings and want to try some new ones. Maybe Holy Cow Holy Gospel?

Thank you all for all your help and advice.

ShadowDriver
07-19-2020, 01:34 PM
Nice, Chett!

The views sure aren't bad, neither! :becky:

Whumpa
07-19-2020, 01:45 PM
Looks good. So how are you liking that mini pellet grill? What are you using for a power source? Are you hauling a generator around with you? I have kinda, sorta, maybe kicking around the idea of getting one.

Stingerhook
07-19-2020, 01:51 PM
Looks good Chett.

jzadski
07-19-2020, 01:58 PM
Great looking cook as well as the back drop.

Chett. L
07-19-2020, 04:26 PM
Looks good. So how are you liking that mini pellet grill? What are you using for a power source? Are you hauling a generator around with you? I have kinda, sorta, maybe kicking around the idea of getting one.

Hi Charles,

For its small size it gets the job done. My power source is 110 wall
Outlet. I have not taken the unit out of the house although it’s definitely a portable unit and I believe that is who they are marketing towards.

I already have my eye on a bigger like a Traeger 650 Ironwood. I need to get something a little bigger than what I have but not too big and it definitely needs to have wheels on it so that I can move it from the garage to the patio. If you have any suggestions I am all ears.

Chett. L
07-19-2020, 04:28 PM
Thank you Marc.

Titch
07-19-2020, 04:41 PM
Looks pretty good from here,maybe a tad over for me.
nice view.
You mentioned too much seasoning.
May I humbly suggest trying one piece with just salt next time.
especially a nice cut like that

Whumpa
07-19-2020, 05:31 PM
Hi Charles,

I already have my eye on a bigger like a Traeger 650 Ironwood. I need to get something a little bigger than what I have but not too big and it definitely needs to have wheels on it so that I can move it from the garage to the patio. If you have any suggestions I am all ears.

I have a 5 year old Traeger pro 22. I know that in some circles Traeger is not held with very high regard, but mine has worked great since day 1. I know I have at least 250 cooks on it and not one problem. It does have some temp issues, but nothing real drastic. Usually not more than 15 degrees off of set point. I have learned how to cook around the issue, so it really is not that big of a deal.

jzadski
07-19-2020, 05:38 PM
Ok, I'll put my 2 in. Rec Tec :-D

Chett. L
07-19-2020, 06:03 PM

Hi Joe,

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Whumpa
07-19-2020, 06:13 PM

Chett
I would have to agree with Joe on RecTec. When I bought my Traeger I knew nothing about pellet grills other than I did recognize the Traeger name. But like I said I am happy with mine, for now anyway.

Chett. L
07-19-2020, 07:46 PM
Chett
I would have to agree with Joe on RecTec. When I bought my Traeger I knew nothing about pellet grills other than I did recognize the Traeger name. But like I said I am happy with mine, for now anyway.

I think you guys are right. I looked it and I like what I see on the Rec Tek.
Thank you.

Chett. L
07-19-2020, 07:48 PM
nice view.

I think your right and next time I am going to try for 130 - 135 temp.

Thank you.

SmokeRingsMatter
07-19-2020, 07:51 PM
I think your right and next time I am going to try for 130 - 135 temp.

Thank you.

Best to pull at around 125F since there will be a good 5-10 deg carry over.

Burnt at Both Endz
07-19-2020, 07:54 PM
nice view.

Some meats take on rub well and others don't need much seasoning. I can remember my first few plate ribs being over seasoned by a mile, hell I thought surely a big piece of meat like that could takes seasoning well, yeah everyone learns by making mistakes!

Nice plate of food Chett and excellent view!

ronbrad62
07-19-2020, 08:02 PM
Glad you are getting things figured out, Chett. I use the Meat Church Holy Cow and really like it on brisket. I am a fan of pepper and it delivers. My wife, not so much, so any women or children may not want a healthy application.

Chett. L
07-19-2020, 08:26 PM

Not sure what you mean by carry over?

Burnt at Both Endz
07-19-2020, 08:35 PM

Easiest way to describe....spill a little spot of hot coffee on your pants legs, you get a uncomfortable feeling, the heat goes away, what happens you spell the whole cup? Your leg keeps getting hotter and you burn.

Chett. L
07-19-2020, 08:41 PM

Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Chett. L
07-19-2020, 08:42 PM
Easiest way to describe....spill a little spot of hot coffee on your pants legs, you get a uncomfortable feeling, the heat goes away, what happens you spell the whole cup? Your leg keeps getting hotter and you burn.

This is an incredible analogy. Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.

SmokeRingsMatter
07-19-2020, 08:42 PM

Carry over means the Internal meat temperature will keep rising even after you pull it off the grill. Depending on how hot the grill is will determine how many degrees the meat will continue to climb.

Lets use for an example, your grill is at 150F and you were shooting for 150F meat temp, if you pull off the grill it wont climb past 150F, but lets say your grill was at 350F, now when you pull the meat off it will still continue to climb because energy has to go somewhere.

Chett. L
07-19-2020, 08:45 PM
Glad you are getting things figured out, Chett. I use the Meat Church Holy Cow and really like it on brisket. I am a fan of pepper and it delivers. My wife, not so much, so any women or children may not want a healthy application.

Hi Ron,

Another rub I am looking into is sir-porkalots-rib-rub.

Thank you.

SmokeRingsMatter
07-19-2020, 08:49 PM
Hi Ron,

Another rub I am looking into is sir-porkalots-rib-rub.

Thank you.

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but for steaks and bugers, really anything beef related, Carne Crosta is my new go to. Bovine bold used to be my go to, but i am converted to CC.

Whumpa
Chett
I appreciate your offer, but I am going to have to decline at this time. I have a deal in the works to buy 2 saxophones from a musician friend that I just can’t pass up. It will eat up my discretionary money for some time. The “War Department” is still giving me the “what the hell” look.

Chett. L
Carry over means the Internal meat temperature will keep rising even after you pull it off the grill. Depending on how hot the grill is will determine how many degrees the meat will continue to climb.

Lets use for an example, your grill is at 150F and you were shooting for 150F meat temp, if you pull off the grill it wont climb past 150F, but lets say your grill was at 350F, now when you pull the meat off it will still continue to climb because energy has to go somewhere.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this so well. It's definitely interesting and a science.