PDA

View Full Version : Lenexa - anyone?

KC_Bobby
06-19-2007, 07:55 PM
No one going? I'm not cooking, but planning on going out Friday to visit some friends. Thought I'd stop on in to meet some others if they are there.

Jeff_in_KC
06-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Not even visiting this year. That was a cluster-fark of mass humanity last year when we went out for dinner!

Kung Fu BBQ
06-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm on call this weekend.. and for the last time too. quittin my job in july, but that is niether here nor there.
I may swing by, I'll be in the vicinity all weekend.
Didn't get a number yet again. But I'm really diggin the smaller contests anyway.

Paola Greg
06-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Eric and I will be there in spot 324 cooking for a team named Smoke and Mirrors. Anyone out and about is welcome to stop by.

Jeff_in_KC
06-20-2007, 07:50 AM
I'm really diggin the smaller contests anyway.

I agree with you. I like those 30 to 50 team events a lot.

stan
06-20-2007, 10:43 PM
I know some guys cooking this event. They are having a party Friday but I am probably going to pass. I have heard it can be a nightmare down there.

SteerCrazy
06-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I stopped going to that unless you have an 'in' with someone competing or you're competing yourself cause the parking is farked and the site is just too small for all those teams. They need to have it at Shawnee Mission Park, just west down 87th Street.

Doorbusters
06-21-2007, 02:39 PM
AMEN to all the above! Went last year, will not do it again! If it rains.....run!

SP
06-22-2007, 06:59 AM
Ive done it the last few years its not to bad if you know where to be. Wev'e done well and have got the no wait entry but didnt do it this year.
I'm glad this you suppose to be hot and humid.

Paola Greg
06-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Dodge County Smokers was Reserve Grand Champion in this 187 team contest, congrats Neal!
Here is a link to the full results: www.ci.lenexa.ks.us/parks/2007results.html (http://www.ci.lenexa.ks.us/parks/2007results.html)

We had a great time cooking for team Smoke and Mirrors, and of course are happy with our 2nd place call in brisket and for 6th overall. Regardless of that, I feel the contest was fun and the organizer, volunteer staff and KCBS reps did a great job. Sure there were thousands of partiers on friday, and we've heard all the bad rap this contest seems to get, but it was good times and we had no problems. Constant presence of the Lenexa cops, strict enforcement of quiet hours, the public had to leave starting at 11pm friday, etc...

Neal
06-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Thanks Greg. Congrats to you as well.
I agree with everything you said. I was kind of surprised actually. I expected this contest to be a total mess. Instead I found it to be pretty well organized. They were contstantly picking up trash, keeping it clean, water readily availible, ash & grease dumps all over, reps checked on us quite a bit and quiet hours were strictly enforced followed by a sweep of cops running off the riff-raff by 11:15. I did have two complaints...they cut the power when it rained, which didn't really bother me except that I lost my radio...and they didn't hand out boxes until about 9am, which threw us a little since we generally build our boxes over night (and we had 2 extras to make because of the misc and sausage categories).

Other than that, we had a nice time...It's a lot like North KC, or even the Royal...if you know what you are getting into going in, it's not so bad.

nd