PDA

View Full Version : Quick tips on smashburgers?

Mikhail
07-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Going to give these a go tonight, either on my electric griddle or maybe cast iron. Looks pretty simple. Place Beef Blob A on Hot Griddle B, smash Beef Blob A, cook until crispy outside.

4 oz burgers? 5 oz?

Mikhail
07-13-2020, 12:40 PM
I found this. Lots of info, but always willing to accept more wisdom!

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282862&highlight=smashburger

Eckie
07-13-2020, 12:48 PM
Most of what i have seen have used small amounts of burger...2-3 ounces. I believe it's trying to get more surface area over volumn, so more crust. My one attempt with large cast iron pan on gasser started great, but ended humbly. Couldn't maintain high enough heat to get the crust after a few..and didnt have time to wait for pan to get back to the "hot enough" zone...

robertm
07-13-2020, 12:54 PM
3-4 oz patties work pretty well. You'll want a hot griddle. I usually squirt a little parkay down first. Laying a piece of parchment on top before you smash helps prevent the meat sticking to your smashing implement. Enjoy!

LYU370
07-13-2020, 01:08 PM
I like 2-3oz patties and double them up instead of single burgers. More onions & more cheese. :becky:

halfcocked
07-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Only thing I would add is don't make meat balls out of them before the skillet. In other words do not smash and knead the chopped beef. Do nothing more than what it takes to hold the chopped meat in a reasonably round patty. Smash them only on the grill one time when you place them there and don't smash again. Salt and pepper before frying. The only way I eat burgers any more.

zippy12
07-13-2020, 02:38 PM
yep about 4/5oz salt and pepper mixed for seasoning

do not pull then up until after the crust forms

cheese and bacon at a ready

CI works best for this!

good luck post pics

gtsum
07-13-2020, 03:01 PM
Use parchment paper so your weight or metal spatula doesn’t stick to the meat. I use around 4-5oz parties and I double them up on the buns. Don’t skip too early as you want that crust to form...as soon as you flip them, out cheese on them as you are doing most of the cooking on the first side. Once cheese is ready, you should be good to go. I only use my flat top for them...cast iron is best imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scp
07-13-2020, 03:14 PM
If you like grilled onions...after the smash....throw on some diced onions before the flip. When flipped the onions cooked in the HB grease that comes off the burgers...smells divine and tastes even better.

Mikhail
07-13-2020, 04:14 PM
Thanks all! Just picked up the first sweet corn of the season - burgers, corn on teh cob and ice cold beer. Fresh peach ice cream for dessert. It doesn't get any more summer than that. May post pr0n.

Gimmethecash
07-13-2020, 05:47 PM
I like 2.5-3oz patties, I ball them first, but very loosely. I like to start my onions early because a) I like to get them somewhat caramelized and b) I get the onion flavor on the grill and then move them over to smash my patties into that oniony goodness. I let the balls of meat cook for 20-30 seconds to get the fat started, then smash & salt/pepper them.

As above, only smash them once. I have a heavy smasher and fairly recently I’ve started using a square of parchment paper between the smasher and the meat to make sure nothing sticks. I have a short scraper I use for the flip, and I basically take one good scrape under them as part of the flip.

Mikhail
07-13-2020, 06:57 PM
Turned out pretty good. Made them about 4 ounces, which is a little too big I think. Also probably need a hotter griddle temp. This really did not get quite the crust I was after, even with a pat of butter under each one. Still, an excellent burger. Tasted like a Sonic double.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/107592929_10158371375871341_7584509471388578332_n. jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=TPyZQNViPKYAX_C_0b3&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=f9ff3d4000d2d5e3a9fe04c4a3518969&oe=5F32EE4F

Ron_L
07-13-2020, 07:49 PM
I like 2-3oz patties and double them up instead of single burgers. More onions & more cheese. :becky:

That’s what I typically do as well

DHowardSmoke
07-13-2020, 08:18 PM
Thanks all! Just picked up the first sweet corn of the season - burgers, corn on teh cob and ice cold beer. Fresh peach ice cream for dessert. It doesn't get any more summer than that. May post pr0n.

The oil’ peach ice cream finish - UDF? It’s that time of year

BackYardRob
07-13-2020, 08:19 PM
OK, haven't read other posts about this burger, but I have something to share. I grew up in North Jersey, where there is a local chain of "smash burger" places, and I've been lucky enough to go behind the grill at one or two of them. I make them exactly like they do: Small is 2 oz, large is 4 oz. Onions cut very thin, I use a mandolin. Onions on grill, burger on top, smash it down, time for bacon on the side if ordered. The onions cook fast and flavor goes right into the meat. When the blood runs almost clear (pretty fast), flip it, place the cheese and get buns ready. Pick up burger with spatula and bottom part of roll, putting cheese and onion on bottom of sandwich. Salt, pepper, pickles and ketchup on top, onto a ;piece of sandwich paper, roll tight, and into bag or right to counter. Also, small burgers go on basic burger bun, large on what we call "hard rolls," basically a slightly sweet kaiser with poppy seeds. Been making them that way since long before I was born.

Mikhail
07-14-2020, 08:00 AM
The oil’ peach ice cream finish - UDF? It’s that time of year

Graeter's this time, but we will get some UDF too. Yum. We just happened to be at Graeter's the other day. It was My Favorite Redhead's birthday and she wanted a turtle sundae.

If you get a chance their limited time Black Forest Cake ice cream is outrageously good.

yoursangoma
07-14-2020, 10:17 AM
Saw this while on FB the other day. Looks promising, but not sure if the smash part is big enough diameter.

https://bbqhack.com/products/spatula-hack

kurtsara
07-14-2020, 12:11 PM

this is what I do, still a half pound burger but with three patties, more crust, more cheese