PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting an offset

Raider18
07-08-2020, 09:59 PM
I’ve wanted a quality offset smoker for a decade now. Started saving for a Jambo Backyard, then had a kid, saved up the money again and lost my job. Replaced my nest egg plus money for Jambo then my kid got cancer. Kid is 2 years cancer free, nest egg is good and being quarantined I’ve saved more money than I need for the Jambo.

Given my luck it’s hard to let go of that money. So while
Jambo is my first choice I’m considering cheaper grills such as the LSG 20x42 and the Shirley 36”. Any other suggestions?

For those with Shirleys or LSG 20” series are you satisfied with your choice? Cooking for three 90% of the time.

TBoneMac
07-08-2020, 10:03 PM
Man, get the Jambo. You deserve it.

I'm gonna get a Jambo Backyard as my next cooker.

sjb67
07-08-2020, 10:17 PM
I have zero complaints about my Shirley 36 love it. But as tbone said get the Jambo. That was and is your dream. You will spend a lifetime wondering if you don’t. For the record I have cooked on a Jambo and they are fine pits. Jamie is a nice guy as well. No wrong choice here so follow your dreams.

SmittyJonz
07-08-2020, 10:21 PM
LSG 20x42

You wanna Save some Coin get an Old Country Smokehouse Vertical for $699

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220797

Blizzard
07-08-2020, 10:31 PM
Buy the Jambo. It’s what you have wanted.

And by they way. Good job on being a great dad! You understand Priorities!

Sid Post
07-09-2020, 02:39 AM
There are a lot of good choices in stick burners. I'm a reverse flow guy for normal size patio models so for me, that means Shirley and Evie Mae. I really like the classic looks of the Evie Mae but, the Shirley cabinet has a lot more capacity if I need it for a big cook or lots of sides.

In the end, I think a lot of people get hung up holding out for a 'dream build' but, the reality is even a less than perfect (however you define perfect) offset is fully capable of making great memories of awesome food coming from the smoker.

If it drafts well and has the cooking capacity you need with reasonable construction, you are apt to be very happy. Heck, if I didn't enjoy drinking beer while playing with a live fire and the sticks, I would have never moved on from my WSMs.

Another consideration is what attracts you to the Jambo? What is the unique appeal of it to you? For example with me as one example of many, LSG builds a really nice offset but it simply doesn't appeal to me for reasons that are at best subjective and specific to me alone. Could I own one and be very happy, YOU BET!

That being said though, had I bought my Evie Mae first I probably would not also own the Shirley as I would have probably stepped up to a trailer smoker instead. Of course, in my case, I can move the Shirley to a trailer easy enough if I want to go that direction.

So, coming full circle, what attracts you to the Jambo? That is the real question that needs to be answered first.

SmoothBoarBBQ
07-09-2020, 03:57 AM
Looking on Google Maps it's showing that you're roughly an hour away from Johnson Custom Smokers in Ennis, TX. Absolutely 100% worth checking out since you're so close, and they make some amazing offset pits.

www.johnsonsmokers.com

Shiz-Nit
07-09-2020, 06:08 AM
I am with the above people who say get the Jambo.
As there is absolutely nothing wrong with all those other manufactures and builders its just what you have wanted for so long.

Again nothing wrong with a Shirley or LSG.
Also Aaron Franklin is building pit and they look pretty sweet (not sure price but I would say high).

cdhbrad
07-09-2020, 06:11 AM
I went from an OK Joe Highland to a Shirley 24x36 and couldn’t be happier with my purchase. The pit is incredibly easy to run and maintains temp easily. If you aren’t cooking for huge groups, you said 3 most times, you will likely never fill it up. I’ve yet to fill mine to capacity.
Shirley is a great company to work with and the delivery company they use will deliver it to your home in perfect condition. If it’s delivered, no AL sales tax is paid which is like getting a $200+ credit on you shipping costs if you choose a 24x36.

Raider18
07-09-2020, 07:37 AM
There are a lot of good choices in stick burners. I'm a reverse flow guy for normal size patio models so for me, that means Shirley and Evie Mae. I really like the classic looks of the Evie Mae but, the Shirley cabinet has a lot more capacity if I need it for a big cook or lots of sides.

In the end, I think a lot of people get hung up holding out for a 'dream build' but, the reality is even a less than perfect (however you define perfect) offset is fully capable of making great memories of awesome food coming from the smoker.

If it drafts well and has the cooking capacity you need with reasonable construction, you are apt to be very happy. Heck, if I didn't enjoy drinking beer while playing with a live fire and the sticks, I would have never moved on from my WSMs.

Another consideration is what attracts you to the Jambo? What is the unique appeal of it to you? For example with me as one example of many, LSG builds a really nice offset but it simply doesn't appeal to me for reasons that are at best subjective and specific to me alone. Could I own one and be very happy, YOU BET!

That being said though, had I bought my Evie Mae first I probably would not also own the Shirley as I would have probably stepped up to a trailer smoker instead. Of course, in my case, I can move the Shirley to a trailer easy enough if I want to go that direction.

So, coming full circle, what attracts you to the Jambo? That is the real question that needs to be answered first.

I love Evie Mae's!! My favorite BBQ joint and people! When my daughter was diagnosed with cancer Arnis and Mallory sent us a care package and I'm forever thankful they thought of us during our worst. Though I haven't talked to Arnis in a few months, last I heard pit building is on hold. They have so much going on handling their business during COVID I haven't even approached him about building me a pit. I'm sure he would, but I don't want to take advantage of their kind hearts.

What draws me to the JAMBO is my first time cooking on a stick burner was using a JAMBO clone (R&O). The ease of cooking with that insulated firebox was a fun day, plus I like the idea of a Traditional offset. Resale is also near 100% on those things if times got hard.

The reasons why I'm considering something else is one I've become cheap the older I get and two I realize I would only cook on it about once per month and spending that kind of money on something I will hardly use goes back to me being cheap. I already have a 22.5 WSM, a PK and a REC TEC. In the cooler months though there is nothing better than tending a fire. The smell of post oak and the heat is the therapy I need. I do believe an LSG, Shirley or even an EM would scratch that itch.

fwdiii
07-09-2020, 10:06 AM
I vote for the Jambo….it's your dream smoker and Lord knows you deserve it!!
VERY happy to hear your child is doing well!!!

Sid Post
07-09-2020, 10:28 AM

What draws me to the JAMBO is my first time cooking on a stick burner was using a JAMBO clone (R&O). The ease of cooking with that insulated firebox was a fun day, plus I like the idea of a Traditional offset. Resale is also near 100% on those things if times got hard.

Any good pit in North Dallas that drafts well will be easy to run and you really don't need an insulated firebox. To be honest, I just don't see the need to go above 3/8ths in the firebox here in East Texas.

By traditional offset, you realize Evie Mae is reverse flow, don't you? On smaller stick burners, I prefer reverse flow but, direct or traditional flow works well too once you know how they run. Some people actually prefer them for a hotter end to cook things like Chicken and Hams or Butts together so the chicken skin will crisp up while keeping the other stuff running a bit cooler.

The reasons why I'm considering something else is one I've become cheap the older I get and two I realize I would only cook on it about once per month and spending that kind of money on something I will hardly use goes back to me being cheap. I already have a 22.5 WSM, a PK and a REC TEC. In the cooler months though there is nothing better than tending a fire. The smell of post oak and the heat is the therapy I need. I do believe an LSG, Shirley or even an EM would scratch that itch.

Don't ignore the warmer months with a beer in one hand and the fire poker in the other! :thumb:

To appeal to your more thrifty side, patience to look for a used a smoker can be very rewarding. In my case, I could not buy a new Evie Mae but 'ruger35' hooked me up with a used one and I'm super happy.

Steel is expensive these days so, smokers, in general, are getting more expensive. This makes gently used smokers an even better bargain today IMHO. Or give me a year or two to quit waffling on a trailer smoker because I really don't need three big stick burners! :razz:

Raider18
07-09-2020, 11:03 AM
Yeah I know Shirley and EM or reverse flows, not against them, just like the "idea" of a traditional offset.

You may be selling on the Shirley as I like to cook in the 250-275 range.

Speeed
07-09-2020, 12:06 PM
I have no experience with Jambo but thats what you wanted and saved for. Go with your first instincts.

That said, I am MORE than happy with my LSG.

SweetHeatBBQnSC
07-09-2020, 01:51 PM
First and foremost God bless you and your family. Next, I agree there is something to be said about going after your dream, but it sounds like you really wouldn't mind your 2nd or 3rd place smokers. I totally understand the cheap (thrifty) side of things. Whatever you decide keep us updated and show us those cooks in the future!

MrOGH
07-09-2020, 01:53 PM
They are all top shelf.

marvda1
07-09-2020, 02:01 PM
here's one you might want to look at.
www.rockinwsmokers.com/pit-details

Sid Post
07-10-2020, 02:09 AM

You may be selling on the Shirley as I like to cook in the 250-275 range.

With cost and availability right now, along with the overall capacity I think the Shirley 24"x36" patio model is a real bargain.

That being said, it is still roughly $2K which puts a lot of options on the table which can be daunting. With my experience today, I'm a lot more confident buying online without a real personal 'test drive' but, for anyone relatively new to stick burners I think it is wise to go to events where you can put your hands on a few different models to help solidify what you really want.

To some, the stacked dime welds are where it is at. For others, it is all about the handles, stack, and dampers. For yet others, it all about the firebox whether insulated, offset / underneath / behind or 1/4", 3/8" or, 1/2".

Then there are things that aren't obvious unless you have been around stick burners. I don't obsess over minor insignificant smoke leaks whether on my WSMs or a stick burner so, why would I want to deal with door gaskets over a properly welded flanged door? For many, something like this might seem to be the cat's meow but, a properly welded door doesn't leak heat or smoke so why would I want to have gaskets that need maintenance? A wire brush and paint to me is also an option if I let things go that can be found at any local hardware store or lumber yard versus looking for replacement gasket material.

In the end, there are few WRONG decisions and a bunch of slightly better ones! The real enemy is the search for perfection and not making a choice!

That's the main reason I don't own a Shirley trailer today. If I hadn't waffled, I would have bought a Shirley trailer over 10 years ago when I lived in Tucson. Instead, I did without a stick burner until I jumped in with both feet. Don't repeat my mistake by waiting years to make a choice!

That indecision did fuel my passion for WSMs though so it wasn't all bad! :grin:

Raider18
07-10-2020, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback. It's funny how the buying process can go. I think I have eliminated the Jambo and going with a Shirley or LSG (and small chance of a Bison). Now to decide which one. ha

MrOGH
07-10-2020, 11:17 AM
I know I’m not the OP.

I’ve decided I’m going with the LSG when I go with it. Not sure if the 20x36-42 or 24x36.

I can go with the 20 and a couple of things for the same price, or bare model for the 24. It’s pushing my budget as is. I like the multi function firebox

robertm
07-10-2020, 01:29 PM
Can't go wrong with any of the ones you've mentioned. I've got a 20x42 LSG and love it. Can smoke, cook direct over fire box, reverse sear using both and even cook pizzas in firebox. I live real close to TMS if you ever want to check one out before purchasing. I drove down to Willis TX to pick mine up, recommend the same to save some cash and worry over shipping.

Raider18
07-12-2020, 09:29 PM
Two forum members graciously showed me their Shirley and LSG pits. Can’t go wrong with either one.

I also found an R&O on FB Market place For a great price . A good sandblast and paint it Will be an awesome pit! Hard decision ahead.

93_confirmed
07-13-2020, 04:19 PM
For those of you with Shirley's who did you use for shipping? Is there a general/rule of thumb $ per lb for shipping costs that I can use to estimate? I'm on the East Coast.

lastmajordude
07-13-2020, 05:18 PM
Jambo is great, but it’s mostly a weekend cooker for most working folks because it’s a stick burner. But if you go that route, make SURE you get a better wheel package than the standard, the steel wheels are horrible on anything but concrete. I’m probably in minority I would get one cooking door as opposed to the two, it will make it MUCH easier to cook on. Three is I personally don’t understand why the firebox door isn’t on the side like the outlaw smoker and possibly a lid to throw a steak on for those times you want to grill over wood. Just my two cents and I’m just a weekend hack, but that’s my Jambo experience. Have fun......you deserve all the good that comes your way.

marvda1
07-13-2020, 11:06 PM
you cannot put a top door on an insulated firebox for grilling. don't know if i have seen any of the big name pit makers use a side door, may be for drafting.

Sid Post
07-14-2020, 12:46 AM
you cannot put a top door on an insulated firebox for grilling. don't know if i have seen any of the big name pit makers use a side door, may be for drafting.

My Evie Mae is a side door to the firebox.

https://www.eviemaesbbq.com/smoker-gallery

Raider18
07-14-2020, 10:11 AM
Jambo is great, but it’s mostly a weekend cooker for most working folks because it’s a stick burner. But if you go that route, make SURE you get a better wheel package than the standard, the steel wheels are horrible on anything but concrete. I’m probably in minority I would get one cooking door as opposed to the two, it will make it MUCH easier to cook on. Three is I personally don’t understand why the firebox door isn’t on the side like the outlaw smoker and possibly a lid to throw a steak on for those times you want to grill over wood. Just my two cents and I’m just a weekend hack, but that’s my Jambo experience. Have fun......you deserve all the good that comes your way.

Mobility is why I think I have eliminated the Jambo, plus I didn't realize until reading their website the cooking chamber is 3/16. They feel so much heavier than that, I wonder if that recently changed. Since I do not have a covered patio my cooker will have to stay outside or in the garage. Jambo doesn't make a cover and the price for a custom one is steep. Moving it from my garage to backyard to cook would be a challenge. Still a wonderful pit and I hope I don't regret passing on it, but it just might not fit my needs.

Raider18
07-14-2020, 10:17 AM
For those of you with Shirley's who did you use for shipping? Is there a general/rule of thumb $ per lb for shipping costs that I can use to estimate? I'm on the East Coast.

Kevin White does their Shipping. You can send him a text at 850-240-2695 for a quote.

mdjkwl
07-14-2020, 05:17 PM
Mobility is why I think I have eliminated the Jambo, plus I didn't realize until reading their website the cooking chamber is 3/16. They feel so much heavier than that, I wonder if that recently changed. Since I do not have a covered patio my cooker will have to stay outside or in the garage. Jambo doesn't make a cover and the price for a custom one is steep. Moving it from my garage to backyard to cook would be a challenge. Still a wonderful pit and I hope I don't regret passing on it, but it just might not fit my needs.
First and foremost... I echo the prior comments that you and your family deserves blessings and kudos for persevering through your challenging times. I wish the best of health to you and yours going forward with many memorable BBQ's.

I have the LSG 20x36. I was fortunate enough to come across it very lightly used. However, new is still an absolute bargain.

Regarding mobility, there are wheel options that make them easy to move around.

Because of the design of the cook chamber, the main chamber cooking space is larger that you might think with a full 5" between upper and lower racks. Further, you can use as a water smoker as the chamber is sealed and able to hold water with easy clean-up via the ball valve after your cook. Baffling provides super consistent temps left to right.

LSG has a video on YouTube that does a great job describing the pros and cons helping with decision making on insulated vs non-insulated firebox. Insulated is not necessarily better in every instance....

Versatility is awesome on this thing with the ability to do amazing reverse searing with steaks directly over the wood fire. Seems like everyone is big on Blackstone these days with their gear. Well, you also get a great griddle directly under the top firebox door that is 1/4" steel. I can tell you we have made great smash burgers with that as well!

I know you are doing your homework and you will most certainly get a high quality cooker whichever route you go that will last you a lifetime with your family.

Best of luck!

Raider18
07-14-2020, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the kind words! I really like the LSGs, such a hard decision.

Jetpilot
07-15-2020, 10:45 AM
Kevin White does their Shipping. You can send him a text at 850-240-2695 for a quote.

I’ll second Kevin White! Great communication and reasonably priced.

Raider18
08-10-2020, 07:46 AM
It was a ten year journey, but I finally got my smoker!! It was a stressful process trying to find the best bang for my buck while at the same time meeting my needs. I physically looked at the Jambo Backyard, the Bison Backyard, Big Phil's Backyard, an LSG 20"x42" and a Shirley Fabrication 24"x36". All of them were beast and I would have loved each one of them. In the end mobility and longevity was the most important to me. Because of that I narrowed down my choice to the Shirley and LSG.

Two weeks ago I pulled the trigger on the LSG. It was cheapest smoker I had looked at, made of 3/16 and had a caster upgrade so it should move good to solve my mobility issue. Other awesome features included a firebox grill and griddle plate. I was pretty darn happy and kept thinking I can't wait until November to cook on this thing.

My mind kept drifting and I kept asking myself if I should have gone with the Shirley. I was literally doubting my decision a day after placing my order. I get a call 5 days after placing my LSG order stating there was an extra Shirley heading to Texas and it was mine if I wanted it. I jumped on it. Even though I was less than one week into a 16 week waiting period LSG charged me a 10% cancellation fee. It's clearly stated on their website, so my fault and lesson learned. Even paying that fee I was 100% confident in my decision this time around so the peace of mind was worth the fee. The fee was also cheaper than depreciation if I decided to sell it.

Last night my Shirley was delivered and this thing is a freaking tank. So far I'm VERY happy and can't wait to cook on it. Work is crazy right now (blessed) so that may not happen until this Sunday. I'm still in shock I got a brand new Shirley in 11 days. Unheard of!

Thanks for all the input!

SmoothBoarBBQ
08-10-2020, 08:13 AM
Congrats...Shirley makes some amazing pits and they are absolutely some stand up people. I'm sure you'll be happy with that pit for a long time.

WeberWho
08-10-2020, 08:28 AM
Congrats on the Shirley purchase! It sounds like all the stars aligned with that extra Shirley coming to Texas.

I also had a similar situation here in Minnesota. I more or less accidentally ran into my Shirley on Craigslist. I always wanted an offset smoker but I never dreamed of it being a Shirley smoker. I had to jump on the opportunity when it presented itself. I knew the chance of finding another used Shirley smoker up in Minnesota was slim to none.

I've never regretted the decision. The smoker and quality is top notch. I'm sure the LSG is also a very nice smoker. Even with me purchasing my Shirley second hand, Paul Shirley has been top notch with helping with any questions I've had here on the forum about the smoker. The company itself can't be beat. There is a reason why they have a wait for their smokers. Congrats and I'm looking forward to any pictures you post on the smoker. Enjoy the new toy!

BBQscott
08-10-2020, 12:54 PM
Congrats on the Shirley! Did you end up going with the 24x36 patio? I cant wait to put an order in for one too. They sure are beautiful cookers. Please post your first cook with it, I’m sure we all would love to see your cooker in action!

SweetHeatBBQnSC
08-10-2020, 03:01 PM
Awesome ending to a great story! Now start cooking and showing that thing off!

pjtexas1
08-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Congrats! They make a great smoker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HogGrog
08-10-2020, 08:21 PM
Congrats on a great cooker!

DBBQ
08-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Congrats Raider, I got my patio model a month or so ago and love it. It is my second one and I was easily able to get this to my back patio bbq area.

Sid Post
08-11-2020, 12:24 AM
Awesome!

Mikhail
08-11-2020, 10:32 AM
Whoo hoo! I have a PK too and will at some point invest in a stick burner. That would be probably my first choice right now.

Enjoy!

PnkPanther
08-11-2020, 12:25 PM
congrats, you won't regret the cancellation fee to get what you want

or consider it a rush fee to get your smoker sooner :)

robertm
08-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Congrats man! The big difference in my mind between the two is the option to cook on the firebox. With all of the grills you have this isn't a big plus for you. You're going to have a blast with the new Shirley!

Now all you need is the following:
Wood
Rack to store the wood
kindling splitter
4lb hammer
chainsaw
high temp gloves
fire poker

Get to smoking!

cdhbrad
08-11-2020, 01:29 PM
Shirleys come with a Fire Poker......but he'll certainly find something else to spend those $$$ on in setting up the cooker......I know I did. :-D:-D

Raider18
08-11-2020, 02:21 PM
Congrats man! The big difference in my mind between the two is the option to cook on the firebox. With all of the grills you have this isn't a big plus for you. You're going to have a blast with the new Shirley!

Now all you need is the following:
Wood
Rack to store the wood
kindling splitter
4lb hammer
chainsaw
high temp gloves
fire poker

Get to smoking!

I actually bought all that other stuff (minus poker) based on your LSG thread!

jzadski
08-13-2020, 03:41 PM
That's awesome you got what you really wanted. Can't wait to see the pics that follow. Very happy for you!

Raider18
08-20-2020, 03:58 PM
First cook!

https://youtu.be/346ZES_ScrA

onemanlan
08-20-2020, 05:08 PM
Congrats man! That was a serendipitous set of circumstances that lead you to your new Shirley. Sounds like it was meant to be. Very happy you got something that made you happy after all you've been through. Happy smoking bud!