PDA

View Full Version : Shiners On Ribs?

darita
07-06-2020, 11:50 AM
Are shiners or exposed bone on the top surface of ribs, the result of over cooked ribs or is it something else that causes it?

Fatback Joe
07-06-2020, 12:13 PM
It can be from overcooking, but I generally think of them as the result of the meat processor being over aggressive with the cutting.

darita
07-06-2020, 12:21 PM
I'm on a FB andfolks are showing their fall-off-the-bone ribs, with tons of shiners. I always regarded them as a sign of over cooked ribs and try to avoid them. Thats why I was wondering if I was wrong and could they be caused by something else? Also, I regard fall-off-the-bone as overcooked, but sometimes get there by my own fault.

Mike in Roseville
07-06-2020, 12:28 PM
You can have shiners prior to cooking. Much of it depends on how they were processed (or how much trimming the cook did). My last 3 pack cryo of Swift Baby Backs had a rack with 3-4 shiners right out of the pack.

Curt.P
07-06-2020, 01:00 PM
I don't think I've ever noticed it from overcooking, but I probably don't pay a lot of attention. I get really annoyed when I find a rack of shiners hidden in a multipack.

It seems to me there are a lot more people out there who prefer them overcooked. At least that's been my experience. I've had a couple people tell me I needed to cook mine longer because it didn't fall apart when picked up. I smile and say "maybe I'll get it right next time".

16Adams
07-06-2020, 01:06 PM
Sometimes on purpose I will purchase value ribs. As much fun to cook as anything else in the smoke world. Butcher takes what he wants and you get the rest. Closer the bone the better the meat. Every freakin time. They have their place. If you’re wanting show box presentation ribs-probably not going to find it. However if you want good tasting pork ribs at just over a buck a pound- light the fire and grab a napkin
The liquid added you can see was ginger tea and Huey Fong Garlic Chile paste.

blackdogbbq21
07-06-2020, 01:20 PM
I've had bad luck with 3 packs of ribs. IBP puts shiner racks in the middle where you can't see the shiner racks.

4ever3
07-06-2020, 01:20 PM
Shiners are nothing that you did wrong...

It’s the proverbial, “It is what it is”

SmokinAussie
07-06-2020, 05:02 PM
What I dislike though is shiners wherever you go. Only at Costco can you get decent ribs at a decent price here. Anyplace else they cut ALL the meat off drown it in some inedible marinade and sell it as "American Ribs" for $20 a kilo. Ripoff.

gcs
07-06-2020, 06:17 PM
At around a buck a pound I'd buy shiners all day long, never see them here though....

thirdeye
07-06-2020, 07:06 PM
Are shiners or exposed bone on the top surface of ribs, the result of over cooked ribs or is it something else that causes it?

The meat cutter favors the more expensive rib steak when they remove the bones.... and if they get too close...., shiners are born. They look like this:

https://i.imgur.com/1jVsjQl.jpg

And when you cook ribs with shiners, the meat sort of helps itself off the bones revealing little bare spots.

https://i.imgur.com/jRiu92b.jpg

SlickRockStones
07-06-2020, 07:38 PM
Our local IGA sells those shiners for $.78# and they look like......$.78#. My go to for Stl. slabs is Publix single cryovac when on sale.

Chett. L
07-06-2020, 09:00 PM
Looks very tasty. What does shiners mean?

Thank you.

jham0077
07-06-2020, 09:18 PM
I helped processed some hogs when we lived in Illinois. They trimmed ribs down to nothing. The wanted more belly for bacon. I wanted more rib for gnawing. In my opinion, fall of the bone ribs are only good for sandwiches.

Denco
07-07-2020, 12:47 PM
Looks very tasty. What does shiners mean?

Thank you.

Bare bones "shining" atcha.