PDA

View Full Version : I have a lot to learn!

DBRW
07-06-2020, 11:35 AM
I bought a New Braunfels Bandera Vertical smoker at an estate sale. I believe it was originally purchased about 1995. In great shape.

Thursday I spatchcocked a chicken and it came out very good. Tried to keep temp at 325 for 3 hours.

Saturday I smoked a brisket. It came out very well. Today I'm trying baby back ribs and using the rib rack.

My biggest issue has been heat management, it gets too hot or cools down too low. Mostly too hot.

I bought a Hauea thermometer from Amazon a month or two ago. Used it a couple of times on the weber gas grill and it worked fine. When I smoked the chicken it was awesome! One probe was on the rack and another in the chicken. It would alert my phone if the ambient temp was below or above the range. But when I tried the same with the Brisket the Hauea was terrible! It would give me false readings on the ambient. The alarm was constantly going off. Sometimes it would go blank so I couldn't read anything. The probe in the meat worked fine. I change the probe out a couple of times. For example, the thermometer on the smoker would show just under 300 and the probe would be at 540!

So I think I need to get a better thermometer.

When starting the fire with charcoal do you put the log(s) on right away? do you let the log(s) burn down some before putting on the meat?

Thanks everyone!

mcyork28
07-06-2020, 11:46 AM
If you need a new thermometer take a look at Inkbird on Amazon. They occasionally offer discount codes in the vendor section here.

In my stick burner, I start a full chimney of charcoal and dump it in the firebox when completely lit then add a split or two and let it come up to temp. When it hits temp and is running clean, I start adding food.

DBRW
07-07-2020, 06:00 PM
I did baby back ribs and the thermometer worked reasonably well at first. Towards the end it would just over 500's then back down to 200's. I think I need a different one!

chingador
07-07-2020, 06:10 PM
Even with all the mods, I still chased temps a bit with the 2 Banderas I had. Comes with the territory but they produced great food.

SmittyJonz
07-07-2020, 10:41 PM
Stickburning you cook in a temp range - Target temp +/- 25*. Want 275* - you will average 275* bouncing from 225* to 300*. add a split climbs to 300*ish, slowly drops to 225* about time split is done, toss on a split climbs to 300*, slowly drops to 225* - repeat every 30-45 minutes. when you add a spit leave firebox door Open till it catches - 1-2-3 minutes .......EASY..........gotta figure out Best split size for your smoker and your temps......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS1veMrDOC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtXDdcHW0iY&t=16s

West River BBQ
07-08-2020, 02:39 PM
Stickburning you cook in a temp range - Target temp +/- 25*. Want 275* - you will average 275* bouncing from 225* to 300*. add a split climbs to 300*ish, slowly drops to 225* about time split is done, toss on a split climbs to 300*, slowly drops to 225* - repeat every 30-45 minutes. when you add a spit leave firebox door Open till it catches - 1-2-3 minutes .......EASY..........gotta figure out Best split size for your smoker and your temps......

This and lots of practice. There's always a learning curve with a new smoker. But welcome to the forum and post some pictures.