PDA

View Full Version : Refreezein beef?

SMOKE FREAK
06-15-2020, 09:18 PM
I have a 15# packer in the freezer but I'm leaning towards cooking only the flat. Or maybe part of it. Don't ask why.

Pretty sure I know the answer but just curious what y'all think.

Can I thaw it, cut it up, and refreeze the part that isn't getting cooked?

Titch
06-15-2020, 09:22 PM
I have and do with other cuts
doesnt have to be totally thawed to cut,still icy
Does it affect quality? no idea.

SMOKE FREAK
06-15-2020, 09:30 PM
Yeah I grew up hearing that you NEVER refreeze meat. Since then I have read that it's no big deal. I've done it before. But with the price of brisket, I thought I would double check with the experts.

Jason TQ
06-15-2020, 10:14 PM
I haven’t done it a ton but I’ve done it. Like titch said it doesn’t have to be totally thawed.

Heck I bought a case of wings a few months back that was one large block of 40lbs. Got them thawed enough to break them apart and reseal in smaller bags. They are still quite tasty.

SMOKE FREAK
06-16-2020, 07:49 PM
A big thanks to Titch and Jason.

The experts have spoken...:thumb:

BGEChicago
06-16-2020, 08:12 PM
I haven’t done it a ton but I’ve done it. Like titch said it doesn’t have to be totally thawed.

Heck I bought a case of wings a few months back that was one large block of 40lbs. Got them thawed enough to break them apart and reseal in smaller bags. They are still quite tasty.

Do this all the time with rib tips.... good advice!

Thanks
Greg

Ron_L
06-16-2020, 09:09 PM
There is no issue with food safety, but the quality will suffer a bit since the thawing and refreezing will break down the cell walls and the meat will lose moisture.

pharp
06-16-2020, 09:35 PM
Why not cook both pieces or however you divide up and then freeze what you don't eat cooked...easy mid-week supper for when you need it.