PDA

View Full Version : What smoker would you buy???

Bayareamallard
06-15-2020, 09:30 AM
Hey guys,

This is my first post. I have been reading the forum for a few years but I need some advise. I have been given funding $$$ for a smoker. Currently I have been using my 28” Weber with the snake method and turning out good stuff. Eventually we are going to put in an outdoor kitchen. I like to use wood and will be putting some kind of Gaucho or Santa Maria in and I want advise on a smoker that I can add to a kitchen at some point. I have been intrigued with the Pitmakers but would like suggestions. I like the BGE but feel they don’t have a ton of cooking space. Budget is $3500.00 and I don’t need HUGE.

PnkPanther
06-15-2020, 09:45 AM
https://mgrills.com/products/2019-m1

Define add to kitchen? one you can eventually have built in?

Tannhauser42
06-15-2020, 09:48 AM
I can tell you which smoker that I did buy: Lone Star Grillz 20x42 and I'm very happy with it. My alternative choice was an Assassin. While a Shirley would be nice, I couldn't wait that long.

SonVolt
06-15-2020, 10:45 AM
I think the wait on a Shirley 24x36 is less than 8 weeks.

Bayareamallard
06-15-2020, 10:48 AM
So for clarification. I need a smoker that I will add to the end of an outdoor kitchen. I am sure we have all seen BGE’s and even “safe” style smokers set into or sitting on a low pad. I will have a Gaucho or Santa Maria style drop in and a small gas stove top then the smoker. So I whatever I get I want to be able to add to the kitchen.

JD08
06-15-2020, 11:12 AM
How many people do you usually cook for? I'm cooking for 4-10 and the only time I've ever run out of space of my large BGE (18") is when I tried to do >4 lb of wings and I had to do them in two batches.

TheRainman
06-15-2020, 11:29 AM
While a Shirley would be nice, I couldn't wait that long.

Shirley's are always worth the wait! :caked:

robertm
06-15-2020, 11:39 AM
If you like BGEs the I wouldn't hesitate getting one. The large is plenty of space for most families. Or you can go to the XL which is quite a bit bigger and nice for big cooks. OR you can go to the 2XL which is just ridiculous.

If you are going for a true smoker though the BGE really isn't one. I've used a BGE for 15 years and love it but it's simply not a smoker in the sense you want.

LSG and Shirley seem to be the defacto popular choices lately. I am sure either will work with you if you want a truly custom built-in type smoker made.

Bayareamallard
06-15-2020, 09:48 PM
Family is 4 but parties are 10+. Most of the smokers I see patio entry or 1 size up is more than enough space.

WeberWho
06-15-2020, 10:57 PM
Have you looked into a Karubecue? It doesn't take up a bunch of space and is a stick burner. It would fit and look nice in an outdoor kitchen.

Sid Post
06-16-2020, 06:13 AM
An LSG IVC seems like an obvious good choice.

A gravity-fed TK, Assassin or, Myron Mixon would be a good option for you as well.

Stick burners get pretty oversized fast for 'normal' size outdoor kitchens. Even a 24"x36" Shirley is a bit big IMHO and, which side do you want the firebox on?

16Adams
06-16-2020, 06:45 AM
“Best” will change over time.
Promise

pjtexas1
06-16-2020, 08:30 AM
which side do you want the firebox on?

ALWAYS on the right! [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JeffinNE
06-16-2020, 08:38 AM
LSG pee wee would fit great in a built in kitchen

Blizzard
06-16-2020, 09:11 AM
I also agree, a vertical cabinet makes sense. Considering the fact you said you will have a Santa Maria grill and it will be going in a built in kitchen.

fwdiii
06-16-2020, 09:14 AM
Shirley.....

didunoahme
06-16-2020, 11:34 AM
Humphreys smokers all the way

raynchk
06-16-2020, 02:01 PM
Hunsaker UDS

Bayareamallard
06-16-2020, 03:41 PM
Guys I love all the responses this is exactly what I was hoping to tap into. Keep them coming. I sure like the look of the Shirley but not sure how to “fit” it into a kitchen??? Also, I am in California not sure they ship, but just starting to look. You (ya’ll) guys are the best. My parents live in Austin, so I love all things BBQ....

wbratt1
06-16-2020, 04:39 PM
A guy named Kevin delivers Shirley smokers and he travels all over the country. Having said that, while I would love a new Shirley I'm currently saving for an LSG IVC due to lack of available free time. You can't go wrong either way....or a bunch of other ways for that matter. Good luck on your decision and let us know which way you go....and post pictures of this outdoor kitchen as it sounds great!

Danny Taz
06-16-2020, 06:43 PM
Call Ben Lang. Lang smokers

SmittyJonz
06-16-2020, 06:47 PM
I'd buy 2 - An insulated cabinet and a stickburner.

Dweverett
06-16-2020, 10:37 PM
If you like BGEs the I wouldn't hesitate getting one. The large is plenty of space for most families. Or you can go to the XL which is quite a bit bigger and nice for big cooks. OR you can go to the 2XL which is just ridiculous.

If you are going for a true smoker though the BGE really isn't one. I've used a BGE for 15 years and love it but it's simply not a smoker in the sense you want.

LSG and Shirley seem to be the defacto popular choices lately. I am sure either will work with you if you want a truly custom built-in type smoker made.

Tend to agree with this -- especially if the LSG comment was an offset vs IVC. I'm sure it's possible but I don't think an offset is easy to design into a kitchen.

Also, if you do go the Kamado direction I would look at Kamado Joe as I think they've surpassed the egg with some of the features they've added in the recent designs.

cowboyupbbq
06-16-2020, 10:56 PM
I built an outdoor kitchen a few years ago and configured it where i could roll grills and smokers around, in and out of the wind.

luv2smoke
06-17-2020, 12:55 AM
You might want to look at an IVC from Cascade Smokers.
I'm pretty sure they'll build you any size you want whether you want a drop in for a cut out in a counter top or stand alone to place at the end of the counter top. They're on the west coast as well so maybe shipping won't be too bad?
www.cascadesmokers.com/

boogiechillen
06-17-2020, 01:55 AM
You might want to look at an IVC from Cascade Smokers.
I'm pretty sure they'll build you any size you want whether you want a drop in for a cut out in a counter top or stand alone to place at the end of the counter top. They're on the west coast as well so maybe shipping won't be too bad?
www.cascadesmokers.com/

He was working on a drop in unit for a patio when I picked up mine.

Mike Twangzer
06-17-2020, 07:58 AM
I'd sure like to see the finished outdoor area ..... or even while you're building it. Sounds cool. In fact, seeing everyones outdoor area is cool.