PDA

View Full Version : Ironside Slugger

WoodBBQ
06-08-2020, 08:33 PM
Hey Brethren,

I'm in line to have a Slugger built. Theses are the options on the site. Which would seriously want and those that are nice to have? If there is an option not listed, but you would want - please list it. Thanks in advance.

​- Probe ports for electric thermometers
​- Ironside Gauge House to house your electronic thermometer systems
​- Stainless Steel folding work table on side
- Stainless Steel welded in water pan with exterior drain and fill
- Additional 2 inch stainless steel ball valve
​- Additional stainless steel cooking grates and racks
- Additional racks (no grates)
- Two additional pneumatic tires for easier moving
​- Custom cover with zippered back and cinch strap

Sid Post
06-09-2020, 01:50 AM
First, larger diameter wheels. Diameter and width lower ground pressure which reduces sinking in soft ground. Diameter is what makes it easy to roll and prevents wheel lockups on tiny things on concrete.

ever had a roller bag wheel lockup on a pebble on a sidewalk? Now imagine that with a cabinet smoker! :eek:

What I don't know about these specifically is the center of gravity, grab bars, and d-rings for tie-downs.

Dweverett
06-09-2020, 05:46 AM
Hey Brethren,

I'm in line to have a Slugger built. Theses are the options on the site. Which would seriously want and those that are nice to have? If there is an option not listed, but you would want - please list it. Thanks in advance.

​- Probe ports for electric thermometers
​- Ironside Gauge House to house your electronic thermometer systems
​- Stainless Steel folding work table on side
- Stainless Steel welded in water pan with exterior drain and fill
- Additional 2 inch stainless steel ball valve
​- Additional stainless steel cooking grates and racks
- Additional racks (no grates)
- Two additional pneumatic tires for easier moving
​- Custom cover with zippered back and cinch strap

The importance of some of these depends on your situation but a few general thoughts:

I think you can order the grates later if you need more space but would add the racks now given it’s pretty low cost. I have no idea of the importance of the second 2” ball valve but again, for the money, I’d do it. I’d also upgrade the water pan unless you know that you have no intention of using one. It’s a big unit and the drop in pan is going to be a pain.

The probe ports would be in the must have category for me. Personally I like their gauge house solution and would do that as well but it’s probably a nice to have vs need. The side shelf is really helpful if you don’t have something else near where the smoker will be used. Nice to have if you have an alternative. Wheels is all about where you plan to use it.

I think it’s a really cool pit. Post pics and your thoughts when you get it.

WoodBBQ
06-09-2020, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys for your responses.

robertm
06-09-2020, 12:18 PM
If you're keeping it outside in the elements then a cover will keep it looking like new for a long time.

WoodBBQ
06-12-2020, 10:33 PM
Agreed, a cover is a must.