PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from WSM to LSG? or Klose? or Mgrills?

Rolleigod
06-03-2020, 04:28 PM
Hi Folks,
This is my first post. Hope you can help me. I'm having decisions issue. I currently own an 18” WSM, an 18" kettle, a 22" kettle and a gasser. I’ve been grilling for 10 years, and smoking on the WSM for about 4 years. I’m decent but still learning. I cook for 8 people (6 kids). I do a few parties every year and cook for my work occasionally (30-40 people max. I’m ready to upgrade to something bigger but I’m not a caterer and don’t want to waste money on fuel or go too big. The main use will be grilling for my family and occasionally smoking (I’m still going to use my WSM as I have modified to suit me perfect), unless my wife make me sell it.

My current challenges are that I don’t have enough surface area. Also, my dad says he wants me to cook a suckling pig for him for a very special event. Here are things I’ve been considering:

Klose Chef Grill 20x42 with Fire box. Pros: Fire Box, adjustable grill distance, small pig possible. Cons: Too big? Wide variance of heat from left to right according to older posts? Too heavy to take to work? $3,300 plus shipping. Currently my number one pick. Perhaps I could tune it with plate on the charcoal grate to make it more even. Would make a good grill.

Assassin Grill 36 or 48. Pros: lots of customizations, water pan capable, small pig capable, least expensive, easy to take to work. Cons: Grate not really adjustable. Doesn’t seem great for reverse searing steak, unless I got the 48 and set up two zone. I don't feel I'd be gaining versatility, just sq in.

MGrills M36. Same pros and cons as Klose, with the exception that it costs a little more and has no access door to the charcoal. The side tables seem a bit small. I have not seen any reviews other than by the mfr. Previous posts about left to right temp variation on older M1 had me concerned.

Lone Star Grillz Adjustable Charcoal Grill. I can’t seem to find much on the internet about users experiences here. Pros: the adjustable grill has the easy to use design. Most the time I would only cook on one side. Cons: despite its size I don’t think it would be good for a pig.

Other Lone Star Grillz: I can get a charcoal grill insert for LSG offsets, but I don’t know how well that would do as a grill. Reverse searing a steak is more importable then an adjustable grate, which this can do.

Questions. Does anyone have insight to these options? Has anyone used the charcoal grate option in the LSG? Any other pits I should be considering in the 2-4k range?

Rolleigod
06-05-2020, 09:08 AM
If curious minds want to know, I've narrowed it down to LSG and Klose. If anyone has advice for me, I'm happy to listen. Anyone with experience using the LSG charcoal basket?

rovster
06-05-2020, 09:19 AM
I’m pretty set on an LSG. I’m also curious about the function of the charcoal add on for the main chamber. Sounds like a great option if you’re feeding a hungry family lots of burgers or steaks. Consider this a bump!

robertm
06-05-2020, 12:52 PM
I cook on the fire box side of my LSG all the time. Probably close to 50% of the time. Mostly I'll do reverse sear on the smoker portion then finish on the fire box side.

The grill grate or the cast iron griddle plate work fine for cooking up burgers. Only thing that would give me pause in your case is the # you want to cook at once. You could cook 6-8 burgers in a straight forward manor on the 20 series offset. The 24 series fire box is bigger so 8-10 (rough guesstimate). If you want to cook for a crew with charcoal I assume the main chamber grilling grate will be a better solution. Not seen it used outside of maybe a video Chris put together. Like everything else they build though I'm sure it is high quality and works well.

Here are a few pics of my 20 series cooking some stuff on the fire box side. I have a set of Grill Grates sitting on top of the LSG grate in most pics. Can even cook pizzas in the firebox!

https://i.imgur.com/l9oilSV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/E6VQkFd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LnDUsJi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VQcNB1a.jpg?1

charcoalwilly
06-05-2020, 01:35 PM
JK - Based on your price range, one other option to consider is a Santa Maria-style grill with lid - either the Kingman or Scottsdale. The ability to adjust the distance from the coals on the fly is fantastic for searing. Great quality and a blast to grill on.

www.azbbqgrills.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlJc5ZWsb2g

Lomey
06-05-2020, 02:41 PM
In that price range I would try and find a local builder to custom build one for what you want. That's what I'm doing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rolleigod
06-05-2020, 04:40 PM
Nice insight and thanks for the pics. I will check out those grills as AZbbq. I have looked for a few builders locally but google searches bring up very little in terms of options. I have looked at some santa maria grills (engelbrecht? if I recall). I'm used to the tight sealing lid of my gasketed WSM and these big metal cookers I think will be a whole new ball game.

KevinJ
06-05-2020, 04:51 PM
I have a small back patio so I have been looking at the M1.

Rolleigod
06-05-2020, 05:23 PM
I like the MGrills alot. They have some new options coming out for a thicker firebox door I believe. Also, you can get the unfinished metal look (with lacquer) that Travis uses in the m36 video. That would be cool. If the M36 had a charcoal access door, it might be the perfect grill/smoker combo.

shares
06-05-2020, 05:42 PM
If you can swing a Klose then hands down. Don't pass on Gator Pits either

JWFokker
06-05-2020, 05:49 PM
I'm also a fan of the M-1. It's the ultimate version of the Hasty Bake all in one cooker. Burns wood or charcoal, indirect or direct heat. Very nice especially with the recent design revisions.

HogGrog
06-05-2020, 06:55 PM
All of them are great cookers and so are the suggested ones.

You stated grilling as your primary way of cooking. Don’t overlook the Assassin, it is a very versatile grill and smoker that can handle a suckling pig and provide a lot space for grilling. It is also capable of reverse sear.

Based on your needs AZ BBQ grills is also a very solid choice/option.

Good luck and I don’t think you will be disappointed with any of the cookers.

gtsum
06-05-2020, 07:04 PM
I have an m1 and really like it. Not having a charcoal door hasn’t been an issue. The 36 would be great to have. Only nitpick I have is I wish the firebox was a little deeper and the grate was a little lower...too much room under the grate and not enough on top of it imo. Great grill and smoker though...best grill/stick burner combo I have used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rovster
06-05-2020, 07:26 PM
Man those Klose cookers look great I thought I was set on LSG:shock:

Huskres
06-05-2020, 07:39 PM
I was going to say a hasty bake 357. You can fit a ton of food on them. They have sales quite a bit as well to gets them right to 3k. Should last a lifetime being double walled stainless.

Rolleigod
06-05-2020, 07:55 PM
It's funny, the 357 was the cooker that got me considering something bigger in the first place. I'll go back and check it out some more. I did not realize if was double walled. I will say this, the process of me searching started back in February. My dad keeps teasing me I can't make up my mind. I want to say to myself that I did my due diligence.

70monte
06-05-2020, 08:02 PM
I like the MGrills alot. They have some new options coming out for a thicker firebox door I believe. Also, you can get the unfinished metal look (with lacquer) that Travis uses in the m36 video. That would be cool. If the M36 had a charcoal access door, it might be the perfect grill/smoker combo.

As an owner of a Legacy 131, the access door creates a lot of problems with air leaks. I cannot control temps on it for anything. Travis says one of the reasons he did not put an access door was to keep down the amount of air access points.

The HB 357 was mentioned. Even though it has gaskets on the door and lid, it is still not completely air tight but better than the traditional HB grills.

charcoalwilly
06-06-2020, 10:49 AM
JK - My two cents on idea of a hybrid grill/smoker - don’t chase the unicorn! Been there, done that. You end up having to compromise. If you want a grill, get a grill. Same for smoker.

Of course, that is how many on this forum (including myself) end up with too many cookers :-D

Either way, sounds like you have some great options going.

70monte
06-06-2020, 05:09 PM
It's funny, the 357 was the cooker that got me considering something bigger in the first place. I'll go back and check it out some more. I did not realize if was double walled. I will say this, the process of me searching started back in February. My dad keeps teasing me I can't make up my mind. I want to say to myself that I did my due diligence.
If you have Facebook, there is a good Hasty Bake group on there where quite a few of the members have the 357 and have given their thoughts on this grill and their cooks. Everyone who has one seems to love it.

Rolleigod
06-09-2020, 11:34 AM
Thanks to all who responded. I ordered the Klose today. I will provide an update and review once I get it. I'm hoping this is in the next 5-6 weeks. For those who are curious, I ordered the 1/2' firebox, but no other upgrades. I hope to may a mods of my own after I learn how it works.

ECB
06-15-2020, 04:30 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I ordered the Klose today. I will provide an update and review once I get it. I'm hoping this is in the next 5-6 weeks. For those who are curious, I ordered the 1/2' firebox, but no other upgrades. I hope to may a mods of my own after I learn how it works.

What made you pick that over the m36?

gtr
06-15-2020, 04:41 PM
I own a Klose, paid a good amt. for it and paid a lot for shipping. No regrets at all - not one little bit! One of the best purchases I have ever made by far.

We've had so many great times around that thing and have fed so many folks with it. Built like a tank and I woudn't be surprised if my sons will be cooking on it after I'm gone.

I've had good luck with hitting the firebox with either Pam or Vegalene after cooks as it cools down. 10 years of moderate use and no signifant rust. Good to hit the hinges too.

As I'm sure you'll hear from David Klose - get those ashes out every time! I always go for the next day, if I can't for some reason, ASAP after that. Ash is the enemy.

Looking forward to seeing some pix!

ECB
06-15-2020, 04:51 PM
I own a Klose, paid a good amt. for it and paid a lot for shipping. No regrets at all - not one little bit! One of the best purchases I have ever made by far.

We've had so many great times around that thing and have fed so many folks with it. Built like a tank and I woudn't be surprised if my sons will be cooking on it after I'm gone.

I've had good luck with hitting the firebox with either Pam or Vegalene after cooks as it cools down. 10 years of moderate use and no signifant rust. Good to hit the hinges too.

As I'm sure you'll hear from David Klose - get those ashes out every time! I always go for the next day, if I can't for some reason, ASAP after that. Ash is the enemy.

Looking forward to seeing some pix!

Which one do you have?

Wish there was some good pics or videos of them.

Rolleigod
06-15-2020, 06:13 PM
ECB - I made a spreadsheet of features and compared that to my wants and needs. In the end both had my primary asks: firebox, adjustable height grill, searing ability; ability to use water pan if desired, ability for zones, ability to fit small pig. So its at this point I began splitting hairs. I asked Travis for a few modifications and he said no including charcoal access doors, which come standard on the Klose. The shelving on the M36 seemed unusually small. And although it probably does not matter, the fact that the Klose was welded, rather than bolted and weighed almost double made me feel like I was getting a better deal. With the 1/2" firebox upgrade, the cost was the same, so it was not a price issue. I did not upgrade for the stainless grates which come standard on the M36.

GTR - David tried selling me on the stainless ash pans, but it seemed like something I could manage without. Should I have opted for them?

In the end I'm sure I would have been happy with either one. I will say, I had several conversations with David and found them quite enjoyable. He has no limit to the number of topics he can fit in 30 minutes, that's for sure. Pics to follow....in a while.

luke duke
06-15-2020, 09:00 PM

I’d get the sliding shelves and a single door.

gtr
06-15-2020, 09:03 PM
Which one do you have?

Wish there was some good pics or videos of them.

I have the 50" BYC. It's a party machine.

As to pix - here ya go - I've lost many, many hours on this site:

https://bbqpits.com/

gtr
06-15-2020, 09:05 PM
I’d get the sliding shelves and a single door.

I'd add the ball valve drain to that - not sure if it's standard or not, but it's necessary esp. when doing a whole pig. Firebox cooking grate is good to have as well - I don't use it super often, but it does come in real handy sometimes.

Rolleigod
06-15-2020, 09:13 PM
Hi all, wrote out a beautiful monologue responding to all your input, but it did not through when I clicked reply. It was long so I'll have to rewrite. I intend to get the ball valve but I did not order from. Maybe eventually, I'll upgrade to stainless grates too. David, pushed hard on the stainless ash pans. I thought maybe, I'd line the standard ones with foil. I assumed the fire box grate came with it.

ECB
06-15-2020, 10:59 PM
ECB - I made a spreadsheet of features and compared that to my wants and needs. In the end both had my primary asks: firebox, adjustable height grill, searing ability; ability to use water pan if desired, ability for zones, ability to fit small pig. So its at this point I began splitting hairs. I asked Travis for a few modifications and he said no including charcoal access doors, which come standard on the Klose. The shelving on the M36 seemed unusually small. And although it probably does not matter, the fact that the Klose was welded, rather than bolted and weighed almost double made me feel like I was getting a better deal. With the 1/2" firebox upgrade, the cost was the same, so it was not a price issue. I did not upgrade for the stainless grates which come standard on the M36.

GTR - David tried selling me on the stainless ash pans, but it seemed like something I could manage without. Should I have opted for them?

In the end I'm sure I would have been happy with either one. I will say, I had several conversations with David and found them quite enjoyable. He has no limit to the number of topics he can fit in 30 minutes, that's for sure. Pics to follow....in a while.
Got ya. Wish klose had a walk around video showing all the features and qualities.

Travis videos on the m1 and m36 features are great.

I'm in a similar dilemma though. Think I've decided to go with one of these over a kamado.

Rolleigod
06-16-2020, 06:46 AM
Got ya. Wish klose had a walk around video showing all the features and qualities.

Travis videos on the m1 and m36 features are great.

I'm in a similar dilemma though. Think I've decided to go with one of these over a kamado.

I'll make a video. Full walk through, but it will be about a month. I asked David about marketing and videos, etc. He said he hasn't had to market in 35 years. Still, I think he's missing out. ECB - Would that be Hell, MI?

ECB
06-16-2020, 08:40 AM
I'll make a video. Full walk through, but it will be about a month. I asked David about marketing and videos, etc. He said he hasn't had to market in 35 years. Still, I think he's missing out. ECB - Would that be Hell, MI?

I get that he doesn't "need" videos to sell them, but sure would be nice lol

I will say, having the charcoal doors so you can easily add coal is a nice touch. Wish the M-grills had that.

Hell=AZ lol

raynchk
06-16-2020, 02:05 PM
If you can swing a Klose then hands down. Don't pass on Gator Pits either Klose is a damn good smoker, well built and will last forever.

Hinds15
06-16-2020, 06:00 PM
I don't own one but one of the LSG cabinet smokers with the warming box. Offset smoker and vertical smoker all in one when you take out the griddle. Hanging ribs and chicken��

Hinds15
07-02-2020, 11:30 AM
Has the klose smoker arrived yet? Someone's selling a 20x42 that's local to me

Rolleigod
07-02-2020, 01:10 PM
Has not arrived yet. It's getting painted this week. Should ship out next week. Close ups to follow. But in meantime here's what I can share:

https://koudelkas.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/JK-Pit-Blaze-1-e1593712180378.jpg

FenderOnFire
07-02-2020, 09:50 PM
How do you get the pizza out of there?