PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good mexican rice recipe

Titch
05-30-2020, 06:54 PM
http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/29729/mexican-rice.aspx

Whats your thoughts or recipe

gtr
05-30-2020, 07:03 PM
It's probably not a bad recipe - never tried it. Looks like it hits the basic principles as I understand them. I'm far from an expert, but I've had great luck with Rick Bayless' recipes and I think I've made this one - can't remember. :doh:

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/mexican-red-rice/

The technique of sauteeing the rice in the oil before adding the water in the allrecipes recipe is more like what a Mexican woman taught me once though.

If you have some kind of stock or broth to use instead of water, I'd definitely do that. Or maybe throw in a buillon cube.

Titch
05-30-2020, 07:11 PM
It's probably not a bad recipe - never tried it. Looks like it hits the basic principles as I understand them. I'm far from an expert, but I've had great luck with Rick Bayless' recipes and I think I've made this one - can't remember. :doh:

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/mexican-red-rice/

The technique of sauteeing the rice in the oil before adding the water in the allrecipes recipe is more like what a Mexican woman taught me once though.

If you have some kind of stock or broth to use instead of water, I'd definitely do that. Or maybe throw in a buillon cube.

Thanks mate:thumb:

Free Mr. Tony
05-30-2020, 07:15 PM
It looks like a good recipe. Here is mine if interested. More of a tex-mex rice, but similar to the link I'm sure.

Saute a couple cloves of garlic, and about half an onion. Stir in 2-3 tsp of seasoning. I use a tex mex rub I make, but cumin, chili powder, and coriander or something similar would work. Stir the seasoning into the onion and garlic for about 30 seconds. Add 1 cup long grain rice and a tsp of salt. Stir the rice to coat with the fat and seasoning. Cook over medium low stirring occasionally for about 3-5 minutes. Add 1 3/4 cup chicken broth, and stir. Bring to simmer. Stir. Cover. Simmer for 15 minutes. Take off heat, and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove lid, and add a handful of cilantro and a few squeezes of lime. Fluff with a fork, and taste for seasoning.

This has been a hit with many people. Whatever recipe you use, and I would add a squeeze of lime at the end after cooking. It adds so much to the end result.

This is the only picture I can find of my rice at the moment.
https://i.imgur.com/L56Tv0ll.png

gtr
05-30-2020, 07:18 PM
^^^that sounds fantastic!

Titch
05-30-2020, 07:18 PM
Looks and sounds fantastic, ta muchly

LYU370
05-30-2020, 07:57 PM
Three things I've learned over the years. Saute the rice in oil or butter before adding water. Make sure you add salt and any other seasonings at the start, seasoning after the fact doesn't work. And make sure to let it steam for 8-10 minutes after it's done.

SmokeRingsMatter
05-30-2020, 08:22 PM
Are you specifically looking for mexican rice , or are you ok with trying a Puerto Rican flavor? If you want some bold rice with flavor i suggest Arroz Con Gandules. I like to use SPAM instead of ham for my recipe.

SMOKE FREAK
05-30-2020, 08:33 PM
The key to great Mexican rice (in my experience) is to rinse the rice under running cold water for 5-10 minutes...This reduces all the starches and makes a dry fluffy rice like what you get in the best Mex restaurants...After that follow what ever recipe you like best.

SmokeRingsMatter
05-30-2020, 08:37 PM
The key to great Mexican rice (in my experience) is to rinse the rice under running cold water for 5-10 minutes...This reduces all the starches and makes a dry fluffy rice like what you get in the best Mex restaurants...After that follow what ever recipe you like best.

For fluffy rice, use a parboiled rice. Amazing results.

Titch
05-30-2020, 10:42 PM
Thanks each and every one of you, keep it coming, We do a Philippine rice (Jasmine) taught to my wife by my Stepmother, awesome stuff.
Indonesian Rice, Similiar but carries more Heat.
I was reading a post by Sako who made a Mexican rice, was just curious to try it.

gtr
05-30-2020, 10:47 PM
I finally started rinsing my rice recently. My kid son working at an Asian restaurant and got me into it. Big difference!

Mike in Roseville
05-30-2020, 10:57 PM
Rinse your rice. Toast it with some oil. Add onion, garlic, and some Caldo de Tomate to it. I prefer medium grain Cal-Rose type rice (but that's my preference).

There are a bunch of ways to do it. In my wife's family, everyone makes the rice differently. Some use Caldo de tomate...some use a little tomato sauce (with a bullion cube added)...others use petite diced tomatoes with chicken stock. Mother-in-law uses long grain white rice...Her mom uses Cal-Rose medium grain.

You can make them all taste pretty darn similar. My wife doesn't measure anything when making it and miraculously it comes out perfect every time.

TravelingJ
05-31-2020, 01:49 AM
Rinsing is the trick I have always read. I just bought a sieve to be able to do it easier-didn't like messing with cheesecloth.

The last time, it really stuck to the pan, even with the oil. I wonder if I didn't have enough fat in there? Or maybe it wasn't dry enough..