PDA

View Full Version : cleaning my weber go anywhere

smoke ninja
05-30-2020, 07:25 AM
I keep a propane wga in the work truck to make lunch and dinner when out of town working. once I started the crew took notice and began to throw some extra food on when cooking. now it's at maximum capacity and I'm getting a real mess in there. it's a pain to clean, any ideas? there's a ton of grease and crud in the bottom after cooks and it's hard to get it out.

el_matt
05-30-2020, 08:40 AM
I say EZ OFF. spray the inside, put it in a garbage bag and leave it in the sun. Few hours later, hose it out. Just keep the spray off bare aluminum. It'll make that part ugly, don't ask me how I know.

Matt

16Adams
05-30-2020, 08:46 AM
Recently cleaned mine after a period of non use.
I used a full bottle of gas set high at the end of patio and did a high heat burn out. Flipping The grates about an hour in. Let it cool. I then wiped WGA down inside and out with a damp rag, brushed the new style porcelain grate and ran it thru dishwasher. I used the blue shop paper towels to clean residual at bottom of cooker. Used Goo Gone spotted on paper towel on a few caked places on exterior and wiped it down again with water.

smoke ninja
05-30-2020, 08:04 PM
thanks for the replies. I'm on the road and space is limited. one meal cooked leaves a layer of grease and crud in the bottom. I'll try a high heat burnout next time, I'm really just looking to keep it good enough to cook the next time without a grease fire.

as much as I like it I'm thinking the WGA may not be the best tool for the job. any other good tabletop grills yall like?

70monte
05-30-2020, 08:13 PM
I have the M Grills C4 and love it. It's charcoal though. I take it on vacations with me and just bring one of the small weber chimneys, a small bag of charcoal, and some of the weber wax cubes. I have a WGA as well as the charcoal version and pretty much quit using them in favor of the C4.

Turkey Shack
05-31-2020, 07:30 AM
Green Mountain Grills has a table top pellet smoker called the Davy Crockett. I would make for easier clean up.

16Adams
05-31-2020, 07:54 AM
The C4 would be really cool. There was a local steak cookoff comp here recently. From what I read the C4 was well represented.

My current lineup has 3 small grills
Old Smokey 18”
WGA-Gas
All Seasons Feeders Tabletop

All have their +&-‘s as far as going mobile.
All are good cookers.
Also the Davey Crockett Pellet is a helluva cooker but you’re not just going to casually grab by the handle and take out of the truck. It’s heavier/bulkier than it looks. Would be sweet on a job site though

Sid Post
05-31-2020, 11:21 AM
Personally, for this type of thing, I think a small charcoal option is the way to go. A Weber Smokey Joe fits in a five-gallon bucket. :wink:

While a nice option in a hotel parking lot, it won't work well for a quick lunch on a job site. On the positive side, it is almost self-cleaning from a grease perspective!

Have you considered throwing down some heavy aluminum foil first? Or maybe even an aluminum pan of some sort under the burner?

smoke ninja
05-31-2020, 11:38 AM
Personally, for this type of thing, I think a small charcoal option is the way to go. A Weber Smokey Joe fits in a five-gallon bucket. :wink:

While a nice option in a hotel parking lot, it won't work well for a quick lunch on a job site. On the positive side, it is almost self-cleaning from a grease perspective!

Have you considered throwing down some heavy aluminum foil first? Or maybe even an aluminum pan of some sort under the burner?

good stuff here. fitting in a 5 gallon bucket is great. space is at a premium and we dedicate a shelf in the truck to cooking. a bucket can just be stacked in the truck with the rest of the gear. a charcoal grill would definitely be easier to clean. I'm still leaning towards gas, setup is easier and fuel is more compact. I will try and foil line the bottom, it's a tight fit, the burner makes cleaning a pia