PDA

View Full Version : Home Pizza Problem

Porcine Aviator
05-26-2020, 10:41 AM
Well, I bought the Onni Karu and with charcoal and wood the crust is quite good. Trying to duplicate the pizzeria crust is always difficult, but I would say that the Neopolitan style on the Ooni is very good.

The difference between "the real thing" and homemade is the cheese. Having grown up around NYC pizza, I must say that I have never even come close on the Westcoast for cheese, including pizzerias. The Mozzerella that I have tried has no taste at all.

When you are in NYC, you can smell the cheese from the pizza joint 2 blocks away. You can add Romano, Parmesano, etc— but it is simply not the same.

If anyone knows how to find the right cheese, I will be forever indebted. Until then I will continue the quest.

:mad2: Incidentally, I burned my arm on the Ooni first time out. I turned to grab a couple of sticks and brushed up against the vent. I know, I should know better, but loss of concentration happens. I took an IR reading of the vent and the exterior of the oven and got a reading of 500-600°F. For a consumer product that is exceedingly high. I think you have to keep curious guests and children away from the Ooni at all times while it is operating.

mcyork28
05-26-2020, 11:03 AM
I am just starting to work on upping my pizza game. Are you using pre-shredded cheese?

I think they put something on the cheese after it's been shredded to prevent clumping which affects how it melts.

halfcocked
05-26-2020, 11:28 AM
I'm former NYC-er also and that's where I tasted my first pizza (having just come from Europe in 1959). There has not been anything like it here in the south. Although, I think my memory is enhanced by time also. Just like going back to places you thought were so large and different as a child then when you re-visit years after.
Anyway, I have not found "the cheese" either though if I remember correctly the cheese they used was grated and I now use tabs of mozzarella. Will re-visit this post to see where you come out with it.

Mikhail
05-26-2020, 11:39 AM
Grocery stores carry a pre-shredded pizza cheese that has three or four kinds it in, not just mozz. I'd give that a try. For me personally I keep the cheese light so as not to overwhelm the ingredients.

gtsum
05-26-2020, 11:42 AM
I agree 100% with you. The cheese is difficult to reproduce. Use whole milk mozz and not pre shredded is all I got. I like bufalo mozz on my neo pies but I struggle with great cheese on my ny pies also. I thought a lot of the pizzaries got their cheese from a wholesale place...a kind of mozz that is difficult to procur for joe ordinary person? Maybe I’m confused also but that’s what I thought I read on pizzamaking dot com years back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ssv3
05-26-2020, 11:55 AM
I buy a 5lb whole milk mozzarella block. I shred it fresh for each pizza cook. Huge difference.

The pre shredded bags are always part skim and have a bunch of agents and preservetives for clumping and shelf life.

halfcocked
05-26-2020, 12:01 PM
I buy a 5lb whole milk mozzarella block. I shred it fresh for each pizza cook. Huge difference.

The pre shredded bags are always part skim and have a bunch of agents and preservetives for clumping and shelf life.
I get the loaves of whole mozz. and slice or shred but where do you get a 5# block.

ssv3
05-26-2020, 12:14 PM
I get the loaves of whole mozz. and slice or shred but where do you get a 5# block.

We have a small no membership restaurant warehouse chain that's open to public called Smart & Final. I get it from there. I believe Costco Business and Restaurant Depot also have them available.

I pay something like 10.99 or 11.99 for it.

Moose
05-26-2020, 12:25 PM
What brand of cheeses have you been using? Whole milk or part skim?

Polly-O is often highly recommended on one of the top pizza forums. I found some at a local Italian deli here in the valley. You may be able to get it at Bay Cities in Santa Monica.

Also, you may enjoy a few of my pizza cook threads:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276206

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275061

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266266

robertm
05-26-2020, 12:32 PM
Low moisture whole milk moz is what you need. It comes in a block and you shred. It's somewhat hard to find though. Sprouts here has it. Places like Central Market and maybe Trader joes as well. Need to check the higher end groceries.

ulc
05-26-2020, 12:35 PM
Have you tried mixing whole and skim mozzarella? Don't use pre shredded. Also, see if you can find mozzarella and pizza supply from this company. You'll probably need to find local pizza restaurant and see if they use cremosa.

http://www.cremosafood.com/

Whisky
05-26-2020, 12:42 PM
Grande is the brand youre after but they generally dont sell retail. Their East Coast Blend is the most widely used pizza cheese. I got a small local bar that I can get it through but have to buy it by the case (20lbs). I pac tightly in freezer Ziplocs and it keeps quite well.

Another cheese I like was the 5lb bags of Members Mark LMWM from Sams Club. Think the brand was Stella. If I couldn't get Grande that is the cheese I would be using.

If you cant access a pre shredded quality cheese then the others are correct you wantbto buy LMWM blocks and shred yourself.

gtsum
05-26-2020, 12:44 PM
Grande is the brand youre after but they generally dont sell retail. Their East Coast Blend is the most widely used pizza cheese. I got a small local bar that I can get it through but have to buy it by the case (20lbs). I pac tightly in freezer Ziplocs and it keeps quite well.

Another cheese I like was the 5lb bags of Members Mark LMWM from Sams Club. Think the brand was Stella. If I couldn't get Grande that is the cheese I would be using.

Ding ding ding. That’s it!! Grande is what I was thinking of. That’s the one to get if you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

angryelfFan
05-26-2020, 12:56 PM
I am in the cheese business and sell to a few high temp pizza places that do Neapolitan style. I also have the Ooni Karu from the KS campaign. I have had the best results with Calabro Whole Milk Low Moisture Mozz designed specifically for high temp ovens. It works great, never burns and has a nice flavor. If you hit it with a sprinkle of imported provolone on the way out it adds another nice level of flavor.

Czarbecue
05-26-2020, 12:59 PM
Sadly I'm still improving it in the sauce department. The kids preferred the Great Value cheese and sauce to my blend of San Marzano and olive oil.

ssv3
05-26-2020, 01:20 PM

This is what I get. Good stuff!

https://d2d8wwwkmhfcva.cloudfront.net/800x/d2lnr5mha7bycj.cloudfront.net/product-image/file/large_14fcd19c-855f-4708-815f-03cb79d34598.jpg

Porcine Aviator
05-26-2020, 02:58 PM
Thanks for all your comments. Whisky's tip on Grande brand sounds like a good tip.

I never use pre-shredded cheese and have tried most of the quality cheeses including Polly-O and various Bufalo. The tip about low moisture Mozzarella is right-on also. I am sure anyone who has had the pizza from NYC and the surrounding area will tell you the same thing.

I am going to a new pizza place next week opened by a family from Brooklyn. My granddaughter knows them and says it's the real thing. She knows. Maybe I can cajole the info from them— I'll let you know. I will able to tell before I open the front door if it's right.

If any of you make Italian cheese cake ( my favorite), you probably know that Polly-O Ricotta is about the best you can find on the shelf. The flavor is far better than most any other I have tried.

happyappy
05-26-2020, 04:22 PM
I am in the cheese business and sell to a few high temp pizza places that do Neapolitan style. I also have the Ooni Karu from the KS campaign. I have had the best results with Calabro Whole Milk Low Moisture Mozz designed specifically for high temp ovens. It works great, never burns and has a nice flavor. If you hit it with a sprinkle of imported provolone on the way out it adds another nice level of flavor.

I'll add another vote for provolone. I have been using slices of smoked provolone on top of a small amount of mozz on my ooni pizzas of late and love it. It melts wonderfully and doesn't burn. I get those melty strings between slices as I pull them apart. I think it adds much more flavor than any mozz I've used. It's not traditional but it definitely improves my pizza.

ssv3
05-26-2020, 06:08 PM
I'll add another vote for provolone. I have been using slices of smoked provolone on top of a small amount of mozz on my ooni pizzas of late and love it. It melts wonderfully and doesn't burn. I get those melty strings between slices as I pull them apart. I think it adds much more flavor than any mozz I've used. It's not traditional but it definitely improves my pizza.

I agree. Missed angryelf's post on provolone. Not on pizza but a meatball sammich, mozzarella and provolone mixed. Both complement each other and raise it a notch or two.

Pug-N-Monk's BBQ
05-26-2020, 07:48 PM
Move to WISCONSIN! Problem solved.:laugh:

SonVolt
05-27-2020, 09:07 AM
Don't use pre-shreddred cheese as some have suggested. It's tossed in corn starch to "prevent caking" and doesn't melt properly. As others have suggested, grate your own Polly-O or Golbani blocks which are typically available in most large supermarket chains. You can also get a block cut from the Deli counter. This may not apply to you, but if you're somewhat new to pizza cookery it's probably not the cheese per se, but just the learning curve associated with learning to cook pizza as a whole. Don't worry, the curve is steep but fun and your pies get better over time!

Also, don't try and cook NY style pizza with Neapolitan high-heat.