PDA

View Full Version : What happened to thin blue smoke??

mph33
05-25-2020, 12:13 AM
I watched too many videos and read way too many reviews about the WSM and they all claimed that you cannot get a thin blue smoke. Right now I'm on the two-and-a-half hour marker with Kingsford professional and six chunks of hickory and Cherry mix and I'm hardly seeing any smoke at all coming out of the top vent. Am I Fvcking Up?

Happy Hapgood
05-25-2020, 12:20 AM
Agree 100%. I use KBB Blue. Just have to let it burn off. After that on my 18" WSM I can go 16 hours if need be. TBS all the way.

mph33
05-25-2020, 12:34 AM
Agree 100%. I use KBB Blue. Just have to let it burn off. After that on my 18" WSM I can go 16 hours if need be. TBS all the way.

I thought I was Fvcking up. I threw in a chunk of hickory just to see. it's smoked a little bit for about 2 minutes and then it went right back to TBS LOL

TC Smoke & Que
05-25-2020, 06:38 AM
We all learn as we go! Just keep rolling!

Nuco59
05-25-2020, 06:49 AM
I run a UDS- or variations on one. During the actual cook, I don't get the thin blue because of the dripping juices hitting the hot coals and the resulting "meat fog?" (as good a term as I could come up with on my first gallon of coffee)

But before I put anything on the grate, that smoke is either wispy, gone or clean smelling before I proceed. 30 min- hour...whatever it takes.

Just about anyone can post a YouTube video- and everyone has an opinion about something... and is dying to share it. So you can find tons of "reviews"- on just about any subject. Are they any good? YMMV.

LordRiffenstein
05-25-2020, 07:00 AM
I think it comes from people lighting to much coal/briquettes to start with and having to close down air intakes to much. At least, thatīs what I have noticed with my Weber kettle. If i run it with intakes half open and top vent open, it runs TBS easily. When I have to close intakes or top vent then it starts to smoke more.

pjtexas1
05-25-2020, 08:02 AM
They're probably getting thick smoke from spritzing every 30 minutes. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ChrisBarb
05-25-2020, 10:08 AM
TBS is the norm when cooking with my WSM.

pmad
05-25-2020, 10:22 AM
Using a BGE

- start fire - some smoke
- 5 min in - lots of smoke
- come to temp - still decent smoke
- shortly thereafter - TBS
- an hour in to cook - TBS is barely visible