PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Debatable Technical Question

Yuccaneers
05-23-2020, 07:31 AM
Yes, I went down the proverbial rabbit hole looking for something to occupy the corners of my cobwebbed filled mind. So I started reading through old John Lewis articles, who previously assisted Aaron Franklin when he started in his trailer. Lewis has stated that he has never only used S&P for briskets while at Franklins or LaBarbecue. Yet, did state it was Lawry’s seasoning (did not mention specific flavor) just merely Lawry’s, salt, pepper & granulated garlic. Now, there have been many who pick up hints of citrus undertones.

Question? What if the Lawry’s that has been mentioned is actually there “Citrus Herb Seasoning” and not the normal Lawry’s seasoning everyone typically thinks about when the name Lawry’s is mentioned.

Knowing what we know about citrus and citric acid as meat tenderize is it possible the undertones hinting of either lemon, lime or orange or a combination of all three from the Lawry Citrus Herb is the one being used on Franklin’s briskets and what many seem to get a faint yet subtle hint of?

So based on Lewis accounts it would be something like this:

8 parts coarse black pepper
3 parts kosher salt
3 parts Lawrys (Citrus Herb Seasoning)
2 parts granulated garlic

Add to that the slather of mustard cut with pickle juice

The spritz of ACV with Worcestershire cut with water while smoking

And, of course finally the last act to bring the brisket to the demigod level is the final rest.

Could I be on to something or totally off my rocker?

aks801
05-23-2020, 07:45 AM
Sounds reasonable to me anyway.

I love the debates on what Franklin "really" uses for his briskets and don't really side with any of the positions other than he cooks a LOT of them and really studies it, plus he is using high grade product to start with.

How's about you test out your theory and report back in?

Yuccaneers
05-23-2020, 07:58 AM
Sounds reasonable to me anyway.

I love the debates on what Franklin "really" uses for his briskets and don't really side with any of the positions other than he cooks a LOT of them and really studies it, plus he is using high grade product to start with.

How's about you test out your theory and report back in?

Yes, I have plans of putting the theory to the test.

4ever3
05-23-2020, 08:13 AM
The only thing outsiders really KNOW about his brisket cooks is he starts with a high end brisket.

Yer theory sounds plausible, give it a rip and let us know!