PDA

View Full Version : Ace Hardware Lump Sale

TC Smoke & Que
05-15-2020, 12:26 PM
Just went by local Ace Hardware and they had big bags of B&B Lump for 11.99 down from 17.99. Just a heads up.

robertm
05-15-2020, 12:42 PM
I've only ever used Royal Oak. How's B&B compare? Well I've used the Cowboy Lump from Costco too but didn't like it.

TC Smoke & Que
05-15-2020, 12:47 PM
I've only ever used Royal Oak. How's B&B compare? Well I've used the Cowboy Lump from Costco too but didn't like it.

Honestly, I dont use lump, but many here have said they use this brand, so I just wanted to pass along the sale info.I am sure there will be some feed back here on the product.

jeffeg
05-15-2020, 12:48 PM
Picked up the only two bags left at my ace last night.
I didn't know it was on sale, just happened to get lucky

KevinJ
05-15-2020, 01:02 PM
I've only ever used Royal Oak. How's B&B compare? Well I've used the Cowboy Lump from Costco too but didn't like it.B&B is better than both RO and Cowboy, for those of you that have an Academy Sports B&B Lump's every day price is $12.99 for 20#.

16Adams
05-15-2020, 01:09 PM
To me B&B is the Wild Turkey 101 of Charcoal.
Excellent product at a nice price. Never disappointed.
I enjoy trying new coals. It’s nice to know B&B is consistently available at a decent price.
If looking for 30 cents # coals this isn’t it.

I just finished up a minimum 15 bag stash of B&B Oak Lump. I’m just beginning to restock briquettes and lump. If you’re a briquette user the B&B All natural briquettes are good too.

sudsandswine
05-15-2020, 01:24 PM
I was at Ace earlier and noticed the same. Picked up a couple bags...I’ve been striking out on lump charcoal lately, always getting bags with small pieces regardless of manufacturer. I realize that’s pretty much solely due to how it’s handled after leaving the manufacturer but it would be nice to get some that has nice chunks for once instead of >50% the bag being unusable. I’ve used B&B before and it was good when I had it then. Fingers crossed.

JD08
05-15-2020, 03:40 PM
The Rocky's ad says the sale is through 5/25.

https://rockys.com/wp-content/uploads/ROCKYS-5-13-FL-PRINT.pdf

Mikhail
05-15-2020, 03:59 PM
just ordered four. Hope I get them. Called around and could only find one bag in stock. The problem AND the advantage with Ace is they are all independently owned.

SmokerKing
05-15-2020, 04:04 PM
B&B is good stuff.

TC Smoke & Que
05-15-2020, 04:37 PM
just ordered four. Hope I get them. Called around and could only find one bag in stock. The problem AND the advantage with Ace is they are all independently owned.

I buy my Weber Briq from them, they order as they sell to replace stock. They only keep 2 bags in stock at any time, and are the only local to sell / stock the product. Their order goes in on tues and gets delivered that thurs. If you order special, they say they will get it on their next delivery.

Mikhail
05-15-2020, 04:47 PM
That's what I use for bricks too. Love the stuff. Three hours or more at 250 for half a chimney.

Runamuck
05-18-2020, 09:19 AM
Looks like there's a wait to get, but I got 10 bags ordered. Thank you for posting this.

Gimmethecash
05-18-2020, 09:56 AM
I love B&B briquettes, and that I can always order them for pickup from my local Ace.

charrederhead
05-18-2020, 10:31 AM
I'm using B&B Hickory lump now and have used 2 bags of the Oak previously. I bought them last year during a WalMart clearance. Very happy with it overall. Good sizes without a lot of fines in every bag, so far.

16Adams
05-18-2020, 11:13 AM
Our United Stores has the B&B Lump 10# Oak and 8# mesquite
For $5.87 bag. Ended up with 9 of each:becky:

Add that to two 30# bags western lump and two 8# bags of Jealous Devil briquettes.

Good for a while

Smokin Dawg77
05-18-2020, 12:24 PM
Our United Stores has the B&B Lump 10# Oak and 8# mesquite
For $5.87 bag. Ended up with 9 of each:becky:

Add that to two 30# bags western lump and two 8# bags of Jealous Devil briquettes.

Good for a while

that jealousus devil for the "good stuff" :thumb:

93_confirmed
05-18-2020, 03:38 PM
The Walmart and Whiz reviews on this aren't great but I took a flyer on it based on older Brethren reviews. $0.60/lb for lump is a great price imo.

On a related note, I've been grabbing #20 bags of Kamado Joe XL for $18 at BJ's Wholesale and it's the best I've ever used. Massive chunks and burns long like briqs. I highly recommend them.
https://www.kamadojoe.com/products/big-block-xl-lump-charcoal

BrewHo
05-18-2020, 03:59 PM
When I spotted this thread I went onto the Ace website, they geolocated my local store and told me I could order for curbside pickup. Pickup date was not right away but this weekend so I infer they don’t have any in stock. No matter, I’m not desperate yet. I’ve prepaid using PayPal, will pick my order up Saturday morning.

jmedder
05-18-2020, 04:06 PM
Picked up my first bag of B and B yesterday actually, from Ace. I grabbed a bag of their "Post Oak chunks" as well. Filled up my Large BGE and noticed a couple really big pieces but mostly average sized. Put 3 racks of pork spare ribs on it and it ran at 275 for 4 hours with zero surprises. As said above, may not be the best but it worked nicely for me. I will use it again, for sure.

Turkey Shack
05-18-2020, 06:48 PM

I usually use Royal Oak because it is easier to find but I think B&B had a longer burn time by quite a bit. It had a lot of big chunks in the bags I bought too.

Michigan BBQ Fan
05-18-2020, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the sale. Always looking to stock up. I too have never had good luck with Cowboy but I've heard that the quality has gotten a little bit better. After feeling it was junk I haven't bought a bad of it in a few years. For me, Royal Oak and B&B are good value for what you get. You can usually find it on sale and it will do the job. But, you are going to find that it does get pretty beaten up. There is nothing worse than opening a bag only to find small pieces and dust. As has already been mentioned, if you want to ensure good sized chunks you really need to move up to a higher-level product. A lot swear by Fogo but in my book you can't go wrong with Jealous Devil. I have used it more than any other lump charcoal on the market. You will not be disappointed with the lump size, heat level or burn rate. Yes, it costs "more" but the value is there. Happy Smokin'

SonVolt
05-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Haven't tried B&B yet. I recently switched from BGE's stuff to Rockwood. Really happy with the Rockwood.

Mikhail
05-26-2020, 02:58 PM
Mine came in. I love Ace.

Now four bags in the charcoal storage area....er...I mean... garage.

93_confirmed
05-27-2020, 02:00 PM
I ordered 4 bags about 2 weeks ago and they're still not in stock for pickup.

BrewHo
05-27-2020, 09:48 PM
I ordered 4 bags about 2 weeks ago and they're still not in stock for pickup.

Even though I hadn’t gotten notified it was in I went by Saturday to pick mine up, because that was when the order said it would be in, and because I was passing the store anyway. Clerk found it for me even though the paperwork was messed up and didn’t show it was in yet. Store manager was helping him get it off the shelf and explained their shipment didn’t come in as scheduled so her husband rented a truck and went up the previous night to pick it up so they’d have charcoal for their customers on Memorial Day weekend. They own that franchise. Makes me happy to be their customer. Woodbine Hardware, here in Virginia.

ssv3
05-27-2020, 11:30 PM
Not available to order here and and the local Ace had 10lb bags for 15.99. Meh!

I did grad this though. 30lb bag for $19.99. Log coals. I'm a 90% of the time lump user but can't wait to try this.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61ZRQ0ULuiL._AC_SX679_.jpg

kls44
05-28-2020, 06:42 AM
I picked up a bag of the B&B logs this weekend. Haven't tried it yet.

HouseDoc
05-28-2020, 07:16 AM
Cowboy lump at Costco regular price$20.00 for 34 lb bag. Works well for hot cooks, I use Kingsford for low and slow

golfnutgps
05-28-2020, 01:37 PM
I ordered the B&B Oak Lump charcoal online from Ace when it went on sale on 5/12 for $11.99. This was going to be the first time I tried lump charcoal. Sadly, they cancelled my order. Guess I'm staying with Kingsford for a bit.

16Adams
05-28-2020, 01:40 PM
Those chat logs are neat to cook with.
Lump-Briquettes on steroids

3reds
05-28-2020, 05:40 PM
I have been using B&B oak lump for a long time and really like it.A few weeks ago I got another bag and loaded up my Joe and fired it up. After it started smoking it had a bad smell and the ribs had a bad taste to it. Few days later did another cook and same results.So I took a good look at the bag and it said with OAK. The orignal was pure oak. Went to HEB and Acadmey and all they had was with OAK. Acadmey had new bags of B&B in hickory,pecan,mapel and mesquite and all said with the primary wood. Why not use pure wood instead of watering it down with who knows what. I really liked the pure OAK lump.