PDA

View Full Version : Over and under smoker help

twrightsmokes
05-13-2020, 07:59 PM
I have a large capacity over and under smoker. I am trying to decide if its better to run charcoal and wood chunks or straight wood splits. The fire box is long and circular, not square like your normal stick burners. Anybody out there with advice? I usually cooking briskets and shoulders and looking for that 8-12 hour cook with the most efficiency and least cost.

bwram1
05-13-2020, 08:27 PM
I had an Over Under for several months...sold it and bought the Smokehouse. With the OU, I started the fire with a full chimney of lit and 2 small diameter splits...about Coke can size and 14" long. Added a split every 40 minutes or so, as needed.

mike243
05-13-2020, 08:41 PM
Wood is usually the cheaper way, I always started with charcoal to get a bed of coals then add wood the rest of the way. Its easy to get side tracked and let the fire get to low for even heat. practice makes perfect and a timer to wake you up helps

twrightsmokes
05-13-2020, 11:53 PM
Thanks! I have loaded the firebox up with 80 pounds of charcoal and wood chunks throughout the mix, but I dont think the fire burns clean enough for me. The wood splits sound like the better option for a cleaner burn. Guess im gonna have to man that fire every hour. Long nights ahead!

SmittyJonz
05-14-2020, 12:22 AM
Splits - buy by 1/4 cord or face cord off Craigslist.

I’d want a charcoal smoker - Buy a Charcoal smoker or build a UDS...........

pjtexas1
05-14-2020, 07:45 AM
Thanks! I have loaded the firebox up with 80 pounds of charcoal and wood chunks throughout the mix, but I dont think the fire burns clean enough for me. The wood splits sound like the better option for a cleaner burn. Guess im gonna have to man that fire every hour. Long nights ahead!80 pounds is expensive. I wish you had a picture of that firebox loaded with that much charcoal. That would be fun to see.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mike243
05-14-2020, 08:26 AM
Scary to think of that much charcoal, 10lbs would be my limit and maybe 1/2 that, wood burns down to coals quickly when it gets air lol

twrightsmokes
05-14-2020, 01:33 PM
This is a pretty large smoker. Has four 5 foot trays on a rotisserie. The fire box is about 5 feet long and I quesstimate about 2-3 feet circumference. I have normally put 40 pounds in it and with vents opens just a fraction can maintain 225 consistent for about 6 hours before i have to play with it. This is where my problems start with fluctuation in temp. I believe its because as the coals burn down and begin to ash my airflow is compromised. My thought is if I make a fire about 2 feet wide in the middle of the firebox I will maintain better airflow, but i will have to feed the logs every hour. Was hoping one of you folks had mastered this one already. lol BTW When I use that many coals I light 2 chimneys to start in one corner of the box and let it burn to the other side