PDA

View Full Version : Sausage Temp Danger Zone

Mattb82
05-13-2020, 02:00 PM
Ordered some all beef sausage from Louie mueller via gold belly. Package arrived two days after shipment which is good. However very minimal almost non existent ice, internal temp ranging 49-51 degrees. Safe to heat and eat? I’m assuming they shipped really cold so couldn’t have been there that long. Also beef vs pork

Mattb82
05-13-2020, 02:25 PM
Well I ate two, couldn’t wait. Mouth is on fire from the jalapeño one

HouseDoc
05-13-2020, 04:31 PM
And the clock is running on does it stay down or blow out! Good luck, I would have requested a refund or replacement.

Mattb82
05-13-2020, 05:24 PM
And the clock is running on does it stay down or blow out! Good luck, I would have requested a refund or replacement.
So far so good. Tasted great, my guess is it ticked up to 50 today and wasn’t there long. Cool to the touch but definitely 50 degrees

Mattb82
05-13-2020, 07:31 PM
Update. I threw up uncontrollably for about an hour, now I just feel like I got run over. I ate two and my wife had one. She’s perfectly fine.

SmokeRingsMatter
05-13-2020, 08:40 PM
Update. I threw up uncontrollably for about an hour, now I just feel like I got run over. I ate two and my wife had one. She’s perfectly fine.

Food poisoning can take 24 hours to take effect. Maybe your wife has a better immune system then you. I know the feeling, I ate raw chicken one drunken night cooking on a fire pit. Everybody else co0ulod tell it was not done, but my dumb drunk @$$ ate a whole skewer worth of raw chicken thighs. It hit me 12+ hours later, and i was in rough shape for 3 days.

Good luck. Hopefully you pull through.

Btw, i would never buy raw meat online. For various reasons.

Mattb82
05-14-2020, 05:15 AM
Was a horrible night. Still shaking uncontrollably, I emailed gold belly thus morning. I’m an idiot for eating them but didn’t think 50 was that bad. My biggest complaint is no ice. They were in thick insulation but the only form of ice were two tiny gel packs the size of your hand, one on each side and they were completely melted. Just to clarify it was already cooked sausage

Whodat985
05-14-2020, 06:31 AM
My wife is the regional director for the board of health. That would of never passed in my house. You are braver than me for sure

ModelMaker
05-14-2020, 06:41 AM
50* for cooked beef sausage? I'm surprised...
Ed

Whodat985
05-14-2020, 06:46 AM
50* for cooked beef sausage? I'm surprised...
Ed

I think the problem is you can’t tell how long it has been at 50 degrees. Bad bacteria has the potential to grow fast. I would never take that chance.

pjtexas1
05-14-2020, 07:40 AM
I thought you could eat precooked sausage without reheating?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mattb82
05-14-2020, 07:42 AM
It’s a never again situation

Mattb82
05-15-2020, 04:28 AM
Last update. I’ll never again underestimate food safety. Close isn’t good enough. I got tested yesterday for E. coli and had to get put on an IV for the afternoon yesterday from all the vomiting out of both ends. Today I’m better but this was unlike any sickness I’ve experienced, just a very violent sick vs a normal sick. Just to recap, this was pre cooked sausage shipped in an insulated container but very little cooling, temp was 49-51 degrees in each sausage, heated to 160 and then consumed. Sick a few hours later, wife didn’t get sick at all.

Whodat985
05-15-2020, 06:08 AM
Man that’s horrible I always thought it took 24-48 hours to get food poisoning. But your the second person I know to get sick before that. Short story. I was working offshore in the Gulf of Mexico working nights. We went into the galley to eat midnight meal. On the counter was ****ting the next day meal. Ribs. Every pack sitting there were swollen. Told my guys to stay away from the ribs the next day. Me an one guy ate sandwiches the other guy ate ribs. Well that next day was not so well for. Just like you coming out both ends at the same time. Said that was the worse he’s ever felt in his life.

Bacteria is very dangerous an can kill

thirdeye
05-15-2020, 09:39 AM
Last update. I’ll never again underestimate food safety. Close isn’t good enough. I got tested yesterday for E. coli and had to get put on an IV for the afternoon yesterday from all the vomiting out of both ends. Today I’m better but this was unlike any sickness I’ve experienced, just a very violent sick vs a normal sick. Just to recap, this was pre cooked sausage shipped in an insulated container but very little cooling, temp was 49-51 degrees in each sausage, heated to 160 and then consumed. Sick a few hours later, wife didn’t get sick at all.

Hope you're on the road to recovery! These kind of threads come up on occasion, just like the "help, my fire went out" threads. I'm saving a link to this thread as an example of what can happen.

Monte Cristo
05-15-2020, 11:00 AM

Brutal! :sick: