PDA

View Full Version : Bubba grills reverse flow 250 gallon

Dalden46
04-26-2020, 07:08 AM
Hey guys, been looking around at buying a new cooker for some time now, really would like a reverse flow. I've been looking into the Langs and meadow creeks and there's a few other builders i've talked with but has anyone got anything to say good or bad about bubba grills.

There cookers look well built and im thinking the 250 gallon trailer smoker, mainly used for parties or larger gatherings. The price point almost seems to reasonable as a 250 gallon on 5x8 trailer is 3100 and lang and meadow creek are way over that price.

For those of u with a 250 do u feel it's a good size or do u think a 120 gallon would suffice for 30-75 person gatherings.

Thanks guys.

mowin
04-26-2020, 07:50 AM
Love mine. I've got the rib box.
Pit holds temp within 5° from right to left. Top grate is 10° or so hotter.

The rib box is ok. It needs insulation between the firebox and rib box.
I have to rotate the ribs/food because the bottom grate is WAY hotter than the top.

Another member on here modified his. IIRC, he added a second stack to the main chamber and a damper to close off the smoke and heat from the rib box. Insulated between the FB and rib box and he can use it as a warmer or cooker.

Sid Post
04-26-2020, 08:03 AM
I don't have personal experience with Bubba Grills but, like you I have considered them in the past along with similar builders without BIG NAME RECOGNITION or a large group of fanboys/girls. :wink:

I lived in Huntsville, Alabama for a bit and saw a lot of builders that made really good smokers for the 'locals' that were priced similarly to what you quoted. Even Lang started with this model before their name grew beyond the locals and a few fans.

Realize that with the 'cheap' trailer builds, costs are being saved somewhere. I'm not saying quality is bad or people are being cheated but, there is NO FREE LUNCH because steel costs real money as does electricity for welders, etc. Welds take time and money too, especially when you factor in cutting, grinding, etc. steel.

Pay attention to trailer construction. Are the frame rails, cross members solid (i.e. adequate in number, thickness, size), are they gusseted, are they painted properly? Axles, suspension, brakes, lights and wiring, fenders, etc. all take time and money. Whether this matters to a certain extent depends if you are pulling it to comps monthly or once or twice a year to local family gatherings.

For myself, a Shirley Patio (and/or Evie Mae) model loaded onto a trailer once or twice a year works well. It certainly helps if you have large tires! :wink: That being said, I will likely end up putting mine on a trailer mount (at least the Shirley) at some point as I move from semi-retirement to real retirement.

Regarding capacity, that's where Cabinet Models like the Shirley's really shine as the compact footprint is easy to store and transport over a larger trailer. That being said, a good trailer mounted 250-gallon isn't too bad to pull with a modern pickup or larger SUV. Be careful to avoid excessive tongue weights or skipping trailer brakes. Trailer brakes seem over-rated on smaller trailers until you top a hill and HIT THE BIG PUCKER FACTOR! Been there and done that more than once (though I drive a lot more than most people so, I've seen a lot of bad things on the road). Also, if you don't pull trailers a lot, personally I think trailer brakes become more important even with LARGE pickups. Four Runners and similar sized vehicles have less capacity to safely handle emergency maneuvers so, keep that in mind too!

Will a 7'x30" cook chamber cook for 30~75 people? Sure! Or no depending on what you put on the menu. Butts, Hams, etc. feeds a lot of people on relatively small cook spaces but, ribs, chicken, etc. can use up grate space pretty fast. :wink:

mowin
04-26-2020, 10:06 AM
Trailer brakes seem over-rated on smaller trailers until you top a hill and HIT THE BIG PUCKER FACTOR! Been there and done that more than once (though I drive a lot more than most people so, I've seen a lot of bad things on the road). Also, if you don't pull trailers a lot, personally I think trailer brakes become more important even with LARGE pickups. Four Runners and similar sized vehicles have less capacity to safely handle emergency maneuvers so, keep that in mind too! :wink:

Unless your towing a 250 gal pit with a Yaris, there's no pucker factor.
Any midsized SUV or larger won't even know it's back there. How many SUV's do you see towing campers that are a wind sail and weigh 2-3x more than a BBQ pit. Stay within your rigs tow ratings. But if it can't handle under 2k, you shouldn't be towing with it.

NCT
04-29-2020, 10:54 PM
I love mine, but I have a 200gal on a cart.

Sid Post
04-30-2020, 02:17 AM
Unless your towing a 250 gal pit with a Yaris, there's no pucker factor.
Any midsized SUV or larger won't even know it's back there. How many SUV's do you see towing campers that are a wind sail and weigh 2-3x more than a BBQ pit. Stay within your rigs tow ratings. But if it can't handle under 2k, you shouldn't be towing with it.

I've seen a lot of them upside down in the Interstate median. Even watched a RAM 2500 Diesel and was shocked it didn't roll-over though the trailer was upside down; guess the extra weight kept the pickup rubber side down. The car hauler fish-tailed and left black streaks all over the Interstate and stopped in a cloud of dust in the median. Both of these situations would have been easily avoided with basic trailer brakes or a better driver at the wheel.

Just because you haven't fish-tailed or topped a hill into a panic stop doesn't mean you won't. Yes, a little lightweight trailer won't generally upset a normal fullsize SUV or pickup but, I have also seen them roll-over when the driver did something stupid so, adding a trailer certainly won't help when you discipline the kids in back, read your text message, etc ...

Trailer brakes are a lot cheaper than most peoples deductibles! :wink:

The RAM 2500 still had the dealers paper tag in the back window! I stopped to call the ambulance or police and the dude was very upset because he paid cash and didn't have insurance coverage to cover the damage (apparently liability only). Even a diesel RAM 2500 can't fix a problem between someones ears who feels invincible!

However, a lot people shouldn't be driving a double cab pickup or a lifted SUV either! These days if I see a Uhaul trailer on the Interstate, I pass as quickly as I safely can as I want all the debris behind me!