PDA

View Full Version : I Submit The Perfect Culinary Question

16Adams
04-23-2020, 05:33 PM
Cussed. Discussed. Emotional.

My question is not what you do to chili now, but how were you raised?

WilliamKY
04-23-2020, 05:37 PM
Yes there are beans in chili. Growing up everyone in my family always put beans and spaghetti noodles in their chili and they still do today. I'm the only one who got away from the noodles (although I will still eat it). I will never give up the beans though.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-23-2020, 05:37 PM
I was raised with beans in it, but after getting married, I/we make ours without beans. :oops:

tom b
04-23-2020, 05:59 PM
beans, then and now..

Pulmah Finger
04-23-2020, 06:15 PM
I was raised by pirates so yes beans go in the pot with the rest.

gtsum
04-23-2020, 06:16 PM
Yep, beans for me for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4ever3
04-23-2020, 06:18 PM
What part of Texas?

PullinPork
04-23-2020, 06:23 PM
Beans for me.
I used to go to a restaurant here in CA called “Bobs Big Boy”. They had really tasty chili with spaghetti! I had forgotten about it until William mentioned it.

TC Smoke & Que
04-23-2020, 06:28 PM
In my younger years there always were beans. I was first introduced to chili without in Savannah Ga., which at first thought was "weird", but good. After moving to Panama City Fl. there were more place without beans and I began to appreciate the flavors and simplicity. Then working in Tx./ La. I really was introduced to "without" and really preferred that.
Now I like both.

mcyork28
04-23-2020, 06:28 PM
I prefer without beans but have no issues putting some in.

Gimmethecash
04-23-2020, 06:39 PM
Of course there are! That’s why they’re properly called Chili Beans.

LOL, at least that’s what we always called them when I was growing up.

Tannhauser42
04-23-2020, 08:31 PM
Sometimes it had beans, sometimes it didn't. It just depended on what cans we bought on that grocery store trip or what the restaurant served. In other words, we didn't make chili ourselves when I was growing up.
Personally, I make it without beans. I like the focused flavor and texture of beef, onions, and tomatoes.

cowgirl
04-23-2020, 08:47 PM
No beans.... but by gosh it you visited friends who had more that 4 kids in the family, you didn't say a word if their mom used beans to make the meal stretch.
You ate it and praised her cookin' to high heaven. :-D

jermoQ
04-23-2020, 08:54 PM
I was raised on plain chili with ground beef a little onion, canned tomatos, kidney bean (sometimes chili beans), chili powder and...chili.

16Adams
04-23-2020, 09:07 PM
Here’s my deal. The Chili Queens. I have a hard time believing that in San Antonio TX -in that era-that there wasn’t a pot of beans going 24/7/365. It was a hustle and bustle place. I’m guessing the town never slept. I’ve been following a thread about Carol Shelby and his kit. Comments are harsh, rude a few comical and complimentary. Just like rubs, I have various chili powders-And a few kits. One of my favorite things to do lately is dump picante, Chile Verde Salsa. Not the hot stuff but a good flavorful mild-Medium in lieu of any tomato. Coffee stock or beer always instead of water.

Beans- growing up-sometimes
- on my own still sometimes

16Adams
04-23-2020, 09:25 PM
A Chili Prayer
By Bones Hooks

https://www.paeats.com/news/2008/thank-you-lord-for-chili/

16Adams
04-23-2020, 09:41 PM
I realize that “someday never comes”, except in a great CCR song. However, someday I hope to stay focused and follow what’s thought to be an Original Chili Queen recipe. There are more than one

https://www.thedailymeal.com/original-san-antonio-chili-yankee-style-recipe

LYU370
04-23-2020, 09:42 PM
NO BEANS! Not even supposed to use tomatoes in Texas chili. I put in one big can, but you can't really taste it. Chili needs lots of fresh chiles. And get out of here with your corn, or celery, of even worse... chicken or turkey. :puke:

It's chili, it's not vegetable stew. And don't even get me started about your damn Greek spaghetti.

16Adams
04-23-2020, 09:46 PM
A great link

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/bloody-san-antonio-origins-chili-con-carne/

Grabnabber
04-23-2020, 09:53 PM
Sixteen-

I have 2 recipes, one with, one without. The one with beans is an abomination but tasty. :wink:

My basic is the 1967 recipe plus a few perks: https://www.chilicookoff.com/winning-recipes

Swine Spectator
04-23-2020, 09:54 PM
In my world, beans were beans and chili was chili. Two different dishes.

frognot
04-23-2020, 10:09 PM
No beans.... but by gosh it you visited friends who had more that 4 kids in the family, you didn't say a word if their mom used beans to make the meal stretch.

I grew up poor so chili had beans and a handful of crackers in it to feed everybody. Not a lotta second helpings growing up.

Haven't put beans in my chili in a long time.

16Adams
04-23-2020, 10:14 PM
Goodnight.

Must sleep

FrkYrPrk
04-23-2020, 10:18 PM
NO BEANS! Not even supposed to use tomatoes in Texas chili. I put in one big can, but you can't really taste it. Chili needs lots of fresh chiles. And get out of here with your corn, or celery, of even worse... chicken or turkey. :puke:

It's chili, it's not vegetable stew. And don't even get me started about your damn Greek spaghetti.

Well, the line gets blurry in north central New Mexico - Green Chile stew features chicken, potatoes and carrots, per the abuelitas...

Red chili, on the other hand, has pork or beef and a few other spices like SPOG and cumin.

Beans are a separate dish entirely...

Bacchus2b
04-23-2020, 10:36 PM
No Beans EVER!!! In Tex-Mex cuisine there is always a big pot of Charro Beans and or Refried Beans hanging out, but not inside the Chili!

I will never forget the first time I visited a diner in St. Louis for an early morning hangover cure and they served me a "Slinger". This monstrosity consisted of two hamburger patties topped with Chili containing not one but TWO varieties of beans. Add Provel cheese, onions, sour cream, salsa, hash browns, and two fried eggs and there you go. If you really wanted to go overboard you could add Spaghetti tossed in BBQ sauce. I vomit a little bit in the back of my throat every time I think of it.....

PullinPork
04-24-2020, 01:36 AM

We were the 4 poor kids that wondered if or what we would have for dinner.
We always looked forward to chili, which always had beans. Once out of the house and on my own, I tried Texas chili and liked it, maybe more than with beans, but I still think back to my childhood with beans, that we scarfed when we had the opportunity...

Happy Hapgood
04-24-2020, 02:16 AM
(sniff) Beans here too. :tsk:

dave12b
04-24-2020, 02:26 AM
Growing up, beans. Pinto to be exact. It was more of a chili soup than a stew.

Titch
04-24-2020, 03:30 AM
What You need to ask me ,was there Chili in your Beans?
Answer would have been no.
Beans played a big part in my early years but Chili came along about my 40th year

16Adams
04-24-2020, 04:21 AM
Y’all all know the historical rumor that the Aztecs practiced human sacrifice and that Conquistador Meat with chile spices wild onion and wild garlic is mentioned. I’ve always thought BBQ and Chili parallel each other in historical cooking lore. I bet there was BBQ Conquistador on the Aztec menu too, no beans.

Culinary Passion-Culinary Emotion
Aztecs Incas Mayans , now there’s culinary passion

Just a reminder that Texas Monthly has opened their online library of articles.

Bigbears BBQ
04-24-2020, 05:03 AM
Grew up with 7 brothers and sisters so yes there was some chop meat in our beans, man could my mom stretch a meal. Always put red kidney beans in my chili and if I’m going to eat it on top of something I prefer egg noodles.

frankenfab
04-24-2020, 06:04 AM
It was always a can of Red Kidney beans. I don't normally put beans in mine.

SlickRockStones
04-24-2020, 06:46 AM
The only chili dear ole Dad pushed on the young SRS was Campbell’s chili beef. Bunny grew up in Springfield, Ill. so she was raised on Joe Rodgers Chili Den. That’s chili, hot chili oil and optional beans on top. It’s pure evil in a styrofoam bowl guaranteed to freight train through your bowels so be prepared. Her dad ate a bowl of their “Fire Brand” once a week for years. For homemade we like Chiliman and Bolners Quick Chili Mix. No beans for Carolina dogs, burgers and Chilitos. The only canned chili I’ll eat is Trader Joe’s, Chiliman and Wolfs. Bunny takes hers with onion and cheese and I’ll sometimes add pasta or rice.

Big George's BBQ
04-24-2020, 06:55 AM
I always put beans in chili Made a large pot last Sat

16Adams
04-24-2020, 07:04 AM
Ingredients
1 tablespoon bacon grease
2 chopped medium onion
2 garlic cloves, minced (more is fine)
1 pound ground chuck or 80/20 burger of choice
1/2 pound coarsely chopped brisket
1/2 pound breakfast sausage
1 finely chopped hot link (remove skin)
1 (12-ounce) Shiner beer
3 tablespoons chili powder(or more)
1 teaspoon Tabasco
Mild smoked paprika
1 teaspoon Fiesta Fajita Seasoning
1/2teaspoon ground cumin

Too thin? Add palmful of grits or cornmeal
Too thick? Add coffee, stock or beer

Curt.P
04-24-2020, 07:15 AM
Always beans, then and now.

gcs
04-24-2020, 07:51 AM
What's chili?, ...lol, We never had, or knew what chili was growing up, and the only beans we ate were baked beans from a can, We had sloppy joe's though, ground meat in a tomato base sauce that came in an envelope...We had a lot of other poverty food but chili was an unknown entity...

Now , chili around here has beans, if you told anyone that real chili doesn't have beans they'd have you committed and under observation...

I eat the stuff, but it's near the bottom of the food list.....:wink:

Mikhail
04-24-2020, 09:28 AM
Raised with, refer without.

SonVolt
04-24-2020, 09:39 AM
Chili without beans is called hotdog sauce.

Robert
04-24-2020, 09:46 AM
http://www.famouschili.com/images/4star_40210b.gif
I do not know if you can see the image I posted if not click on the link.

http://www.famouschili.com/

Raised on a dairy farm. Didn't have chili very often, but when we did, the above 4 Star Chili is what we had. I do not know if my mother added meat to the recipe or not, but I know that we added pinto beans to the mix. And lots of saltine crackers to the bowl. We usually canned about 100 quarts of pintos each year along with a lot of other vegetables. My mother even made ketchup. Nothing like store bought. Rather like a sweet salsa. Put it on the chili.

Beans or none today. Like it either way.

Robert

orangeblood
04-24-2020, 10:03 AM
No.

Just as an oven cooked pork roast covered with hickory salt and liquid smoke is not called "bbq," traditional chili isnt made with beans.

Tofu, spaghetti, beans, mushrooms, et al are not part of the traditional dish called "chili." Nothing wrong with any creative, personal or regional culinary preferences but there is a dish called "chili" and it is defined without beans.

Hoosier1960
04-24-2020, 11:26 AM
Growing up mom always put beans and elbow macaroni in our chili. Now I don't use either since I am doing keto.

Sid Post
04-24-2020, 11:38 AM
Here’s my deal. The Chili Queens. I have a hard time believing that in San Antonio TX -in that era-that there wasn’t a pot of beans going 24/7/365. It was a hustle and bustle place. I’m guessing the town never slept. I’ve been following a thread about Carol Shelby and his kit. Comments are harsh, rude a few comical and complimentary. Just like rubs, I have various chili powders-And a few kits. One of my favorite things to do lately is dump picante, Chile Verde Salsa. Not the hot stuff but a good flavorful mild-Medium in lieu of any tomato. Coffee stock or beer always instead of water.

Beans- growing up-sometimes
- on my own still sometimes

Interesting. I don't see a lager or pilsner adding much to chilli but, a hearty dark might be interesting. Which beer works best for you?

Coffee? I hadn't really considered that with Chilli but, a nice medium or medium-dark roast could certainly mesh well with the chilli spices and add a bit to the mix.

16Adams
04-24-2020, 11:46 AM
To my taste preference just a normal beer works best if using beer. Shiner-Coors Banquet but coffee is really nice as well. Coffee does not overwhelm but you can tell you didn’t use water. Beer is more noticeable.

Cat797
04-24-2020, 12:55 PM
....... It’s pure evil in a styrofoam bowl guaranteed to freight train through your bowels so be prepared......

That there is forum gold!..........:clap2::clap2::clap2::laugh::laugh: :laugh:

I'm familiar with that chili!

For me now, I like both Texas style and Yankee style. In my house if my wife is making it there will be beans in it.

Maylar
04-24-2020, 01:02 PM
No beans if the chili is for a condiment, with beans if it's going to be a meal. I don't remember having any as a kid at all.

BillN
04-24-2020, 05:47 PM
My mom always made her chili with Red Kidney beans.

Hoss
04-24-2020, 09:47 PM
Beans,beans,they are good for your heart,the more you eat,the more you ....
The more you ...,the better you feel
Eat your beans at every meal.

You are welcome.