PDA

View Full Version : Hastybake 380 Ranger...

AWilliams
04-20-2020, 06:50 PM
Anyone have one of these guys? Looking for on the smaller side of things. Just me and the wife only. Looking to grill and smoke occasionally...maybe grill:75/25:smoke. I also have a Rectec Stampede when I don't want to babysit. How would you compare the Ranger 380 to the PK original for grilling/smoking? I like that you can use the whole grill area in the 380 Ranger and the PK you can only offset the meat to one side. Maybe the Suburban is the better deal. Close to same cooking area but you have the cabinet underneath to put things like the difuser when grilling. SS makes no difference to me either. Kinda wish the 380 was black to lower the price a bit... Thanks

70monte
04-21-2020, 03:21 PM
I don't have one but I'm a member of one of the HB groups on FB and everyone on there that has the Ranger, raves about it and a lot of those that have the Ranger and one of the bigger HB's, say they use the Ranger the most.

The cost of a Ranger is quite high but it should last a long time.

AWilliams
04-21-2020, 05:08 PM
Thanks...would love it if they offered the 380 in powdercoat black with a $250 lower price tag.

Huskres
04-21-2020, 08:29 PM
I’ve got a couple of hasty bakes. The stainless is well worth the extra. It will last you a lifetime. You’ll not regret it.

70monte
04-21-2020, 08:46 PM
I don't know if they ever made the Ranger in anything other than SS and I doubt they will ever make one now.

I love the HB for grilling but I struggle a lot trying to maintain steady temps to smoke on my Legacy. They are not very air tight grills so temp control can be a struggle.

LostArrow
04-22-2020, 12:56 PM
When I downsized this February I had a vision kamado, A New Braunfel’s 20 y/o stick burner
A Hasty-Bake Legacy, a Weber Smoky Mountain & a Weber Genesis. I had gotten everything used over the years
I kept the Genesis & Hasty-Bake.
It 7 y/o no rust, sits outside under a cover . Great grill, good smoker with a snake method can smoke 6-8 hours without tending.
When cooking small small amounts can use a charcoal basket & use smaller amp of charcoal.

70monte
04-24-2020, 01:54 PM
When I downsized this February I had a vision kamado, A New Braunfel’s 20 y/o stick burner
A Hasty-Bake Legacy, a Weber Smoky Mountain & a Weber Genesis. I had gotten everything used over the years
I kept the Genesis & Hasty-Bake.
It 7 y/o no rust, sits outside under a cover . Great grill, good smoker with a snake method can smoke 6-8 hours without tending.
When cooking small small amounts can use a charcoal basket & use smaller amp of charcoal.

When you do the snake method on your Legacy, do you use briquettes and do you use a divider? Do you have any pictures of your setup?

JWFokker
04-24-2020, 06:26 PM
Nice cooker. Less leaky/more efficient than some of the larger hasty bake cookers. Pretty comparable to the PK.

Huskres
04-24-2020, 06:26 PM
When you do the snake method on your Legacy, do you use briquettes and do you use a divider? Do you have any pictures of your setup?

I use a cut down weber flavorizer bar. I use lump and have had good luck but if I don’t want to tempt fate I use lump them use B&B char logs on top.

Huskres
04-25-2020, 12:05 PM
Steaks and mushrooms cooked on the hasty bake. Ability to move the firebox makes the hasty bake a superior reverse sear machine.

LostArrow
04-25-2020, 12:27 PM
I use this method & get a good result.

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/2012/09/hasty-bake-fuse-burn-for-dummies.html

70monte
04-25-2020, 10:16 PM
I use this method & get a good result.

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/2012/09/hasty-bake-fuse-burn-for-dummies.html

Thanks, I have seen that blog but had forgot about it.