PDA

View Full Version : Which one..Choices??

DanB
04-19-2020, 08:15 AM
Hi All I'm looking to buy my 1st Pellet grill.. I need your thoughts on either of these 2 Pellet Grills, or any other ones I should look at? I would like to buy at Home Depot or Lowe's if possible for easy return if I have too.
1.RT590
2. Oklahoma Joe Rider DLX

Thanks Dan

SweetHeatBBQnSC
04-19-2020, 08:21 AM
Depends on your price point? I have done a lot of research around the $800-$900 dollar range and I feel that the RT 590 is about as good as it gets. They are stainless steel, ceramic igniter rod which is supposed to last a lot longer than other types. They have excellent customer service. The PID controller is pretty spot on, and I have heard good things about their wi-fi app (in terms of controlling the cooker; some don't like it for its simplicity). I am interested to hear others take as well because I have been researching this for several months and would to see if there are other leads I have not considered.

Ron_L
04-19-2020, 08:52 AM
I haven't seen the OK Joe in person, but know a lot of folks who cook on RecTec and they are all very happy!

1MoreFord
04-19-2020, 09:54 AM
The Camp Chef that is similar in price and features to the RecTec is the Woodwind Wifi version.

The Camp Chef *might* be available from a local dealer but the RecTec is sold only by RecTec. Only one dealer in my area has A Camp Chef available on the floor to look at but they really don't know that much about It. Lowes does sell some of the Camp Chef's but doesn't carry them locally to me and they don't sell the Wifi version. Same way with Dick's but I won't buy from Dick's if at all possible to avoid them.

I've been thinking about the Camp Chef Wifi, The Rectec, and the Grilla Siverback myself but have yet been able to make up my mind.

BTW - I do like the fire pot clean out and the pellet dump on the Camp Chefs 'cause I'm lazy.:wink:

Good Luck with your choice.

Speeed
04-19-2020, 10:36 AM
I am a recent Rec Tec owner and so far have been more than please with my whole experience.

I ordered my Rec Tec on a friday evening. It shipped the following Monday morning. UPS freight could have delivered it Wednesday if I was home. Rec Tec is in GA and I'm in NJ.

I have used it several times and am MORE than pleased with it. I have done a few overnight cooks and everything has gone flawlessly. I like the app and feel I have all the control I need from it. It is awesome being able to monitor and adjust temps from my recliner. It is also super nice to put a brisket or butt on in the evening and go to bed.

I have not had a need for their customer service so I can't speak to that but my understanding is its great.

I was between the Rec Tec, Camp Chef Woodwind and the Grilla Silverbac Alpha.
While I have no experience with the other grills I don't regret choosing the Rec Tec.
Very much like the design and materials. I like the pellet hopper is on the back instead of the side. (I have a RT-700) And like thats it stainless steel.

All thats said, I think any one of the above mentioned are fine choices. They are all well reviewed with many happy owners.
Good luck and let us know what you choose.

DanB
04-19-2020, 01:33 PM
Hi All Right now I'm leaning towards the Rectec..Too bad Lowe's or Home Depot doesn't carry them.Free shipping plus my 10% Vet discount..

Now the choice is between the 590 & 700:roll:
Thanks DanB

Lahawk1
04-19-2020, 01:49 PM
Buy a Masterbuilt 560 or 1050 and have a much more versatile grill-smoker that will produce much better food.

Speeed
04-19-2020, 05:33 PM
Thanks DanB
I’m not trying to spend your money I’m really not. :decision:
But my philosophy has always been “buy once, cry once” and “I’d rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it”

With the exception of my Primo all my other smokers are a bit larger than what I truly need. It has came in handy on more than one occasion.
Remember, no one has ever returned a grill or smoker because it was too large but they’ve sure sold smaller ones they’ve bought to finance an upgrade.

I did the same thing you’re doing, I went back and forth between the 590 and 700. The shape of the 590 would have really complimented my LSG as they’re both similarly shaped. It would have been nice to have something that takes up less space as space is at a premium in my backyard but ultimately square inches of cooking space won out.

With the 700 I have room for the meat and a water pan.

Mht150
04-19-2020, 05:57 PM
Can some of you explain how the smoke flavor is on a pellet smoker? As good as the flavor as a stick burner? Sorry to ask on your post but just curious.

Lahawk1
04-19-2020, 06:09 PM
My pellet smoker stayed with me the least amount of time of any smoker I have owned. Reason for that......lack of smoke flavor.

pjtexas1
04-19-2020, 06:09 PM
Can some of you explain how the smoke flavor is on a pellet smoker? As good as the flavor as a stick burner? Sorry to ask on your post but just curious.That really depends on a lot of things...
Controller, design, pellets, cook temp

Some put out more smoke because of how the controller works.

I've had 3 different brands. You will never get stick burner smoke. You can get get close though. It's more about convenience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TXArmy
04-19-2020, 06:10 PM
Can’t speak to Rectec or OK Joe but I like my GMG. A little lower price point too. Would enable purchase of more quality pellets and some good meat...

I’ve got essentially older GMG choice DB and it’s temps aren’t exactly accurate compared to temp setting but I’ve learned what’s what. My brother just took delivery of new GMG prime DB and his temps are dead on. He’s been sending me screenshots of grate temps and his experiences with how it’s cooking. Amazing! Oh and he got it on sale for $550. Thats a sweet deal.

Just food for thought. I’ve looked long at Rectec and they’re intriguing... It would probably be my choice at the $1kish budget.

Speeed
04-19-2020, 07:06 PM
The guy from texas 1 post up knows what he speaks of. :thumb:

I agree....
You will never get stick burner smoke. You can get get close though

For many, the value in a pellet smoker is ease of use at the sacrifice of a little smoke.
A worthwhile trade off in most cases.

KevinJ
04-19-2020, 07:37 PM
My pellet smoker stayed with me the least amount of time of any smoker I have owned. Reason for that......lack of smoke flavor.
You bought the wrong one, just like any cooker they aren't all the same.

DanB
04-20-2020, 06:22 AM
The guy from texas 1 post up knows what he speaks of. :thumb:

I agree....

For many, the value in a pellet smoker is ease of use at the sacrifice of a little smoke.
A worthwhile trade off in most cases.

:thumb::thumb:
DanB

chingador
04-20-2020, 06:49 AM
Can some of you explain how the smoke flavor is on a pellet smoker? As good as the flavor as a stick burner? Sorry to ask on your post but just curious.

It is difficult to replicate the smoke flavor of a stick burner with any other type of grill, let alone a pellet grill. That said, not all are the same. But it also matters how you run the pit and which pellets you use. On large cuts of meat like brisket and pork butt, I have found that smoke flavor is much better when you run the majority of the cook at 225. Also, quality pellets count. If I use quality pellets like cookinpellets 100% hickory, Lumberjack 100% pecan or even B & B Mesquite, I will be happy with the smoke flavor. My first brisket was done at 275 with B & B post oak. Very little smoke flavor.

But the good news about a pellet cooker is that the smoke flavor you do get is clean, not dirty, smoldering smoke like you would get from a limited airflow charcoal pit like a kamado.

chingador
04-20-2020, 06:53 AM
Hi All Right now I'm leaning towards the Rectec..Too bad Lowe's or Home Depot doesn't carry them.Free shipping plus my 10% Vet discount..

Thanks DanB

The customer service you get from Rec Tec is really good so you will not miss dealing with Lowes or Home Depot. I don't see how anybody would want to return a Rec Tec

In regards to choosing between 590 and 700, let me just say you will be happy with either. Both great cookers. I love my 590. But it was at the very top of my budget (even a little beyond) and I had very limited patio space and could not go any larger. If I had the space and budget, I would go with the 700. Longer warranty, a little thicker material and larger cooking space.

DanB
04-21-2020, 12:32 PM
Hi All Just placed my order for Rec Tec 590 & cover..Now can't wait till it gets here 6-7 days..Was hoping for the weekend. How long did some of yours take to get to you?
Thanks Dan

JD08
04-21-2020, 12:45 PM
Yoder Smokers are made in the USA.

Mht150
04-21-2020, 01:14 PM
Congratulations Dan.

DanB
04-21-2020, 01:39 PM
The customer service you get from Rec Tec is really good so you will not miss dealing with Lowes or Home Depot. I don't see how anybody would want to return a Rec Tec

In regards to choosing between 590 and 700, let me just say you will be happy with either. Both great cookers. I love my 590. But it was at the very top of my budget (even a little beyond) and I had very limited patio space and could not go any larger. If I had the space and budget, I would go with the 700. Longer warranty, a little thicker material and larger cooking space.

Hi RecTec customer service is good I called and spoke with one of the owers,he pick up the phone..What I didn't like was that I was charged tax.I don't remember ordering online and getting charge for tax? Oh well
DanB

Speeed
04-21-2020, 02:24 PM
What I didn't like was that I was charged tax.I don't remember ordering online and getting charge for tax? Oh well
DanB

Yay New Jersey. We pay tax on pretty much EVERYTHING.

I ordered mine online on a friday. I got a ship notice Monday morning. UPS could have delivered it that Wednesday if I would have been home.
Scheduled for Friday morning. UPS gave me a window of 10am-2pm It arrived at noon. I had it completely assembled by 1:30 including optional from shelf and that was taking my time and working alone. Could have had it together in a hour or slightly less if I put the hammer down.

305Q
04-21-2020, 02:52 PM
Hi All I'm looking to buy my 1st Pellet grill.. I need your thoughts on either of these 2 Pellet Grills, or any other ones I should look at? I would like to buy at Home Depot or Lowe's if possible for easy return if I have too.
1.RT590
2. Oklahoma Joe Rider DLX

Thanks Dan

If you can do it the rec tec is amazing and their customer service is top notch.

DanB
04-22-2020, 04:50 PM
Yay New Jersey. We pay tax on pretty much EVERYTHING.

I ordered mine online on a friday. I got a ship notice Monday morning. UPS could have delivered it that Wednesday if I would have been home.
Scheduled for Friday morning. UPS gave me a window of 10am-2pm It arrived at noon. I had it completely assembled by 1:30 including optional from shelf and that was taking my time and working alone. Could have had it together in a hour or slightly less if I put the hammer down.

Thanks guys.I always have the WSM to smoke on if feel like it..I have an 11lb Costco Prime Brisket waiting for the 590 to arrive. Got some Lumber Jack Comp. blend also..

Yeah next week can't get him soon enough.��

Danb

PS I wish they would ship the damm thing already, they have me checking for shipping info. for 2 days now.

DanB
04-24-2020, 06:36 AM
Thanks guys.I always have the WSM to smoke on if feel like it..I have an 11lb Costco Prime Brisket waiting for the 590 to arrive. Got some Lumber Jack Comp. blend also..

Yeah next week can't get him soon enough.��

Danb

PS I wish they would ship the damm thing already, they have me checking for shipping info. for 2 days now.

Hi All
Update:The Rec Tec 590 will arrive on Tuesday..yea!!:clap2:
DanB

chingador
04-24-2020, 06:54 AM
going to be a long weekend.

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-24-2020, 07:42 AM

Easy...it was a piece of junk that didn't function properly. To be fair I bought the BFG when it first was announced, and I'm pretty certain I got one of the first ones off the production line. The door never fit properly and this led to some serious heat distribution issues. The computer system also had some issues; I set it to 250° but it was cooking at damned near 400° even though it still displayed that it was at 250°.

Credit is due to Rec Tec in how they worked with me for a few weeks to try and fix it, but I just lost trust in the cooker and its ability to function properly. After over a month and maybe 20 cooks on it they offered to have it picked up, and issued a full refund. They were good to work with, but I was super frustrated with the particular cooker I got and how it just never functioned very well. I wasn't the only one having issues with the BFG when it first came out either.

TLDR : Rec Tec is a good company with great customer service, but just like every other company sometimes their products have issues.

DanB
05-06-2020, 08:11 AM
Hi All
Only one over night cook here with my Rec Tec 590 and I'm loving it.:clap2:
The RT held temps better then any other smoker I've had. Customer Service has been great also. What more can I say..
DanB
PS I cooked a 7lb brisket @225 for 10 hrs with Lumber Jack pellets. Could have used more smoke flavor..

chingador
05-06-2020, 08:29 AM
Hi All
Only one over night cook here with my Rec Tec 590 and I'm loving it.:clap2:
The RT held temps better then any other smoker I've had. Customer Service has been great also. What more can I say..
DanB
PS I cooked a 7lb brisket @225 for 10 hrs with Lumber Jack pellets. Could have used more smoke flavor..

Which lumberjack pellets did you use? A blend or 100%? Try 100% hickory or pecan. More smoke flavor. I strongly suggest cookinpellets 100% hickory. At 225, more smoke for sure. Another thing you can try is cook the first couple hours at 180 to get a larger amount of smoke then turn up to 225 for the rest of the cook. That is only for brisket and pork butt. I have found that 250 all the way for pork ribs is really good.

DanB
05-23-2020, 04:40 PM
Hi I use the Lumber Jack Hickory.Just got my from Cookin pellets 280 lbs I'm set for awhile.
DanB